American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maneuvers vs Battles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm 

When I skim games being played in the DoR, I sometimes see where a Union player is playing a Union player (or a Reb player playing a Reb player) in a game registered as a battle. That is incorrect under most circumstances. Here is my understanding of the club rules (and previous policies when it comes to tournament games):

When a Union player(s) plays a Union player(s) (or a Reb player(s) plays a Reb player(s)) then the game is a maneuver and not a battle unless it is an ACWGC sanctioned tournament game, in which case it would be a battle.

When a Union player(s) plays a Reb player(s) and the Union player(s) commands the Union army and the Reb player(s) commands the Reb army, then the game is a battle.

When a Union player(s) plays a Reb player(s) and the Union player(s) commands the Reb army and the Reb player(s) commands the Union army, then the game is a battle.

In a MP Game, the rules above apply, except that when there is a combination of Union and Reb players on the same side (e.g. a combination of Union and Reb players command the Union side), then the game is a maneuver unless it is an ACWGC sanctioned tournament game (and I'm not aware of any ACWGC sanctioned MP tournament games in the past).

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Maneuvers vs Battles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:54 pm 

That is also my understanding of the rules.

You MAY play any side as long as your opponent is from the other side and THAT is a BATTLE.

If players are from the SAME side, then that is a maneuver.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:30 pm 

I've noticed this many times in the past. For individual games would it be possible for the DoR to identify the players parent organization and assign the "battle" or "maneuver" automatically?

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 am 

It is up to the members to properly register a game.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:57 am 

Two points based upon what has been said thus far:

1 - If it is up to the members to properly register a game, then who has the responsibility to police up members who are registering games incorrectly and are those people aware that they have this responsibility?

2 - Everybody pointed out the rules on the Cadets Playing Games thread so why hasn't anybody jumped on this one because you can't find in the rules where a game between two Union players can legitimately be scored as a battle if it occurs in a club wide ACWGC sanctioned tournament game? It makes sense but the rules don't support it.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:47 am 

Point # 1:

As for who to police the game registration? There is no one actually ASSIGNED nor do I think there should be. We are all responsible persons and there is a slight difference in points allowed, but the majority of games are properly registered.

I do not think we need more administrative burdens and this matter should be a self-policing situation.

Point #2:

From current club rules:
Quote:
5.3.2 OBD Points. Points will be awarded for both games of a mirror match. If the match is between officers of different military groups, full points will be awarded. If officers from the same military group are on opposite sides the games of the match will be considered maneuvers and the points awarded divided by 2. (Exception: Tournaments approved by the CoA’s of both military groups may use mirror matches that count as regular battles even though, during certain matches of that tournament, two officers of the same side may end up facing each other.)

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:58 pm 

Point #1: Self-policing doesn’t work if you don’t know that you’re doing something wrong. It’s an education process that all of us go through (and never stop going through). Those checks need to be made. If they require too much labor then we need to simplify the rules instead of ignoring/not enforcing them. In this case, if it’s too difficult to educate everyone on how to file for battles/maneuvers then make them all count the same points and we don’t have that problem. Yes, I know that the club is founded on Union vs Confederate and encourages that type of play by using differences between battles and maneuvers but if it isn’t worth checking, why bother. It’s unfair to the members who are aware of the rule and abiding by it.

Point #2: Thanks and you are half right. That pertains to tournament mirror games approved by both CoAs but there is nothing in the rules about tournament games between members of the same military group that are not mirror matches. I’m definitely for the exception applying to all versions of tournament games approved by both CoAs and it was probably just an oversight and the loophole needs to be closed.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 pm 

First off, sorry Ned for not replying to the Link Express email yet. Will do so this week.

Second - I agree that maneuvers should no longer be valid and make everything battles, especially if we can't police the situation. I think the natural rivalry between the forces will always have the majority of battles be Union vs Confederate. Plus there are often periods where officers from one side have a lot of "looking for battle" posted in the opponent finder than the others and are forced to accept games with member of the same side. At the iNWC where I managed the Club for almost 10 years we had no maneuvers and there was always a healthy rivalry between Allied Coalition & French and people naturally moved towards fighting someone from the other side.

I think the undue burden on those who manage the armies here is enough, something that I don't agree with and the over bloated regulation of Club Rules is enough to scare anyone away. Why create more unneeded burden on a shrinking group of volunteers. If people are concerned, get the Cabinet to police it, they are good at regulation... :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:11 am 

If I remember correctly, which at my age is an achievement in itself, there is no difference anymore between the points awarded for a battle versus a maneuver. The only use they now server is flagging games as being between same side versus opposite sides. So unless you are making a statistical study of the report database it is a meaningless entry and hardly worth any more enforcement than asking people to use the right designation just in case someone does decide to do a statistical study of our past games.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:23 pm 

My memory sometimes plays tricks upon me, too...like not working when I want it to! But, in this case, I managed to recall a obscure Club Rule about maneuver games and points!

4.2.1.3 Maneuvers A maneuver is defined as a game played by two members of the same military group. This action could be taken as an advanced training exercise. The points received for completing a maneuver would be computed by using the basic formula, then dividing the results in half.

Lawyer's college or not, there you have it! I believe that in its operation the DoR program does distinguish between "battle" and "maneuver" points, but I am not completely certain of this. Perhaps someone could test the issue.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 pm 

The points by the awarded in the DOR for a maneuver is 1/2 that of a battle.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:15 am 

Yep, rules still say half. Guess I remember the discussion of but not the result of:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by greenFyre
Agreed - many excellent points made here. I guess in the end I like the proposal that manuevers and battles be treated the same except:

i) no win/loss bonus/penalty;
ii) no battle star/ribbon/award.

I think this creates a wonderful duality in that manuevers are then only marginally different from an OBD perspective, but at the same time the "battle" distinction of ribbons still encourages and recognizes battles with the opposing side.

Please make your recommendations to the cabinet and reference this thread. Rules are being discussed and this is another topic that can be looked at.

You can post a message in the Cabinet forum or, better yet, send an email to the cabinet link that is provided.

Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:07 am 

Talk about an old POST. It must be from several years ago. :lol:

ACWGC Records Site Admin