American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 pm 

Hi all,

I am not a frequent poster here anymore but I was a club member for years and I have some information which might be interesting to you guys as wargamers..

I have been transcribing Union Ordnance Returns (http://www.beyondthecrater.com/products-page/union-ordnance-returns) and Confederate Inspection Reports (http://www.beyondthecrater.com/products-page/confederate-inspection-reports) for the Siege of Petersburg from National Archives microfilm rolls. I'm making these transcriptions available at low cost at the links provided as a way to recoup some of my investment ($125 per roll) and allow people who are interested in them (like wargamers and researchers) to have a cost effective way to get them.

The Union Ordnance returns list the weapons used by Union regiments and battalions by company as of June 30, 1864 and September 30, 1864.

The Confederate Inspection Reports go into great detail on specific Confederate Brigades and Divisions, giving Present for Duty numbers at the regimental level and inspector notes on how each regiment in a brigade was doing at the time of the review (mostly Aug-Sept 1864 for the ones I've done so far).

If anyone is working on Siege of Petersburg scenarios or you're just curious about these like I was feel free to check it out.

Brett Schulte
The Siege of Petersburg Online

TOCWOC: A Civil War Blog

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:24 pm 

Hi, Brett,

Those look like a very valuable sources of information. Do they have anything like it for other periods of the war? Can't afford it just yet, but my SSN will begin later this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 pm 

Brett: Glad to see you continue your research. I am sure it is a very tedious business.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:09 am 

Ernie Sands wrote:
Brett: Glad to see you continue your research. I am sure it is a very tedious business.

Ernie.

Definitely tedious, but once I knew I could find specific Confederate regimental strengths for the Siege of Petersburg on many dates I knew I wanted to get all of the rolls of NARA Microfilm 935 covering the Army of Northern Virginia (Rolls 10-15). That's over $700, and on my budget I knew I'd need to sell some of these transcriptions to help me pay for even more. Throw in the 8 ordnance rolls for the Union Army for the Civil War and that's another $1000. It's sad that the National Archives can't make this information more freely available to people at a reasonable price. So until they do I have no problem buying stuff myself, transcribing it, and turning it around for research on my site as well as making it available to whoever wants it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 am 

mihalik wrote:
Hi, Brett,

Those look like a very valuable sources of information. Do they have anything like it for other periods of the war? Can't afford it just yet, but my SSN will begin later this year.

mihalik,

Absolutely. Go to this site to sign up and see what's available: https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWECmd=Start&SWEHo=eservices.archives.gov

Once there, you can search the microfilm by number. Two that I can give you which everyone here might be interested in are:

1. M1281, which is the Union Ordnance returns for the entire war. There are 8 rolls ($125 each), one covering artillery for the entire war, two covering cavalry, and the other 5 infantry, including some postwar stuff.

2. M935, which is the Confederate Inspection Reports, only first started in 1864 and continued to near the end of the war. There are I think something like 20 rolls. The ANV is fully covered in rolls 10-15. Each roll is again $125.

Make sure you choose the CD/DVD option, which just takes each slide and makes it an image on the CD. WAY easier to deal with. You can go through the National Archives catalog to find other microfilm series (they usually start with an M like above or a T). All of these are available for purchase at $125 per microfilm roll or CD/DVD.

There are amazing numbers of interesting Civil War items buried in the archives for wargamers, and unless someone buys them and transcribes them, I don't know if they will ever see the light of day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 am 

Thanks, Brett!