American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gettysburg scenarios
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm 

Does anyone have any experience with the Gettysburg scenarios?

specifically the back end bunch...........090's and up.

are they balanced............are they fun?

most of them are 200+ turns and the maps are really interesting.

any imput would be appreciated...........

Last edited by dukemat on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Gettysburg scenarios
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:34 pm 

The Gettysburg release is interesting as most club members are more familiar with the historical battle than any other. Nearly 300 hypothetical scenarios are provided (x2 if you add the weather versions as separate entities) and I doubt most players get anywhere near to playing all of them.

The maps tend to be larger than most and this alone can allow interesting developments in play. There is a great deal of room to get lost in.

The forces involved are generally known to either side (more than most campaigns?) but can add less familiar commands like Union 8th & 22nd Corps and the Reb IV Corps. The Reb does tend ti be outnumbered along historical lines in most engagements. Saying that, I haven't seen any grossly unfair situations ...but I do play as the North.

Great MP situations are provided for using these maps when anything your team-mates do can be as upsetting as what your'e likely to see from your opponents.

The downside can be the size. A great deal being 200 turns and up and big in all areas.

If you are serious about your gaming then any of the Gettysburg hypotheticals will probably interest you as a commander. As a Reb it might be best to find out if any are particularly worth avoding.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:59 pm 

thanks for your insight.

I wish there was a way to analyze these and other scenarios for balance.

I prefer meeting engagement as opposed to set piece battles and there is no way to gauge strengths of opposing forces.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

I have started playing these. There are so many that it is one every several months so it is slow going. My experience has shown that balance can be greatly skewed by the opponents skill level. What I suggest is that you look them over carefully evaluating the situation and reinforcements arrivals. I guess my point is to try them you never know whether they will be great or interesting based on your skill level and your opponents.

General Pierre D.

5th Bde, IV Cavalry Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
ACWGC President 1997 - 2006, 2012
ACWGC Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm 

As far as I know there isn't a single "true" meeting engagement on the Gettysburg title where both sides start turn #1 off the map. A great deal feature one or both sides on map and deployed which can be off-putting for the faint-hearted.

Unfortunately playing with hindsight there is no way to intoduce real ignorance of your opponents strength other than not knowing where they start. If you must examine them too closely then you risk spoiling what fog-of-war there might otherwise be.
If you must "peek" then do so from the Reb side only to see if it is to your taste and try to get an opponent who would agree to the same?
Sadly, most scenarios will pit a full strength ANV against a full strength AoP so you're always going to be outnumbered.
Don't be too worried about scenarios that start with all or most of your units on the map as the maps can be VERY big. It's best to see if the forces start the game engaged / visible to each other or not and go from there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 pm 

A few months ago I put together a meeting engagement using the big map and the editor. All the cavalry was assigned a 20% chance of arriving on the first turn, and each infantry division (half-division for the Rebs) was given a 5% chance of arrival staggered each hour. In addition, all the optional forces were staggered on the second day with a 1% chance of arrival. it was 300 turns.

Kelly Ross and I played it twice. The first time he got ahead of himself and I was able to cut him off and destroy a good part of the I and XI corps. In the second, which went into the third day, he beat me by getting a preponderance of the discretionary reinforcements. We had a great time with both games, even though it was not very historical.

As it turned out, both games centered on control of Round Top, which, contrary to the impression I got from reading Gettysburg histories, has great observation and fields of fire in the game.

I also made a modified PDT so that wagons could move faster on roads and artillery could limber and unlimber using 3 mp instead of 4mp.

Also, instead of a set ammo pool, I started with zero, but changed the PDT so that each Reb gun added 50 rounds to the pool when it entered. Each Yank gun added 75 rounds.

Anyway, I will send it to anyone who wants it, or maybe it will give you ideas on how to design your own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 pm 

I would be interested in a match using General Mihaliks version. Any takers for a fast moving game?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 pm 

tony best wrote:
I would be interested in a match using General Mihaliks version. Any takers for a fast moving game?

I do not have his versions...........but I would be willing to play it if we can get it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 pm 

I will try to send it to both of you, but it may be a day or two. I will also have to send you the modified PDT. It all goes in the main area where all the scenarios go.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:16 am 

Col Mathews
Could you please send a courier to my HQ at tonybest@zoominternet.net
LT Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:02 am 

tony best wrote:
Col Mathews
Could you please send a courier to my HQ at tonybest@zoominternet.net
LT Best

courier is on his way.......

you may also try...dukemat at yahoo dot com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:40 am 

Col Mathews and I have started a battle using General Mihaliks version. We are on turn 22(of 300!!) and it is most interesting. I am playing the Union Col Mathews the South. The unkown arrival factors are really most challenging. The South had the misfortune of advancing Jones cavalry brigade into an ambush set up by Custer,Farnsworth,Merritts,Kirkpartrick. I am fairly sure that the size of the force we could muster so early surprised Clint. Jones was destroyed.

However, the South arrived early on Cemetery with Pettigrew and others and is well situated there. The Yanks are some distance from contesting this. Without figuring the odds I think the good guys(Union) have done above average with arrivals. I really dont know of the South and it is this unknown quality that presents the intrigue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 am 

BG Don Vandergrift and I are fighting "Reverse of Fortunes" by Genls. McOmish and Simms where the sides are reversed: The South defends Gettysburg and the North arrives from the North. As I had no intention of attacking the South as Lee as done, I held a line along Herr Ridge and he on McPherson's ridge. It is now a draw, halfway through a 156 turn game, after he was able to isolate McIntosh's command and destroyed it. It is now an artillery duel but the North has the advantage here. Still, I see Rebel battery after battery headed my way so I've got some work ahead of me. I was able to hold my own on the first day due to the extra distance Don's men had to go. We Yanks are familiar with the long march for the reinforcements while mine are only 3-4 turns away. This is a fun what-if.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:21 am 

After action report.

With such a large map and uncertain arrivals the opposing Generals are presented with some true strategic challenges.
1. Go on the offense or defense.
2.If on defense-where to make a stand.
3. If on offense-where to attack
Scouting is of the essence as entire Armies can disappear if one doesnt keep track of them.

But though the map is large it is also finite and the game is 300 turns so eventually, unless both decide on defense, Battle will be engaged.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 am 

In our battle my Southern opponent decided on defense while I chose offensive action. However, early on I was fortunate enough to set an ambush for a recon in force unit(Jones Cavalry) and destroy it. This was counter acted to some extent by my attempt to flank his Army NE of Gettysburg by Kirkpatricks entire Cavalry unit which was adriotly responded to by a combined Cavalry/ infantry rebuf.

I then decided to just over power the Reb Army head on while overlapping him with our shear numbers.
Then I lost track of Him due to poor scouting so found it difficult to find an axis of attack.This was a blessing in disguise as due to spending most of the first day figuring out where he was located enabled me to get my large Army up to the front and lined up and in good formation.( normally I probably would have overly pieced mealed it). Towards the end of the day I finally got the sense that The Reb Army had set up about midway down Cemetery Ridge and extending straight East.I decided on a morning attack.