American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am 

Anyone ever notice that the nine 2nd Bull Run Weather scenarios from Campaign Antietam are stuck in a single weather pattern?

It's because in the Antietam_weather.pdt there is no weather data set for August 29-30th when these scenarios play... the last weather event is from August 28th (clearing/light smoke)and wont change until September 1st (medium rain)!

I doubt this is working as designed...

Last edited by simovitch on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:18 am 
I am just trying to figure out what "borked" means! :?:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:23 am 

Hi Blake,
it's a techie term meaning broken -> broked -> borked. Funner to say than broke I guess.

Anyway This should probably be directed at HPS but I was just curious whether or not this has been noticed before by you gents in the club. I enjoy the weather scenarios but this kind of carelessness may give it a bad feel for some players who see weird results and may not understand what is broken under the hood. And, it could have been included in the patches by HPS several times but wasn't.

So it's an easy fix but then there is no way of telling whether both players in a pbem will have the corrected pdt unless they check with each other first. That's why when i do the 'weather mods' I create all new scenarios and pdt files that don't overwrite the stock ones, ensuring that both players have the modded scenario if they both download the mod.

I'm working on the historical weather variants for Antietam right now for Old Banshee so those of you who like the weather effects can enjoy a more realistic and historical weather pattern:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 pm 

Careless? Try putting together a multi-hundred scenario title with 6 campaigns...and we'll see how many details you miss...

Why not send things you find to the Support account so they can be included in updates? Only way its going to happen...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:41 pm 

Rich, i didn't mean to sound snotty. The weather feature was the salient point for me making the move from a BG customer to an HPS customer and I get disappointed when I see errors like this. I sent my email notification of this particular issue to HPS as you rightfully suggest.

Also, I wanted to generate some discussion on the weather feature; to see where the thread would go. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:16 am 

As I understand it the game engine checks the weather line each turn, if there is no line for that turn it keeps the last weather condition. In this particular case since there is no weather line for 8/29 or 8/30 any scenario starting after the 18 20 turn on the 28th will have clear weather with maximum visibility, don't recall if that is 70 hexes in HPS Antietam or not but that will be the sole affect. Reading the 8/28 line

1 1862 8 28 18 20 49 25 100 100 0 0 Clearing/ Light Smoke

49% chance of this condition, otherwise keep last condition
25 hex maximum visibility
100 = normal movement cost
100 = normal artillery fire
0 - no combat modifier

The only modification this line makes to default Clear weather is limiting visibility to 25 hexes so the lack of a weather line for 8/28 and 8 29 will have no affect on movement or combat. Don't know for sure but it's possible the scenario designer saw no reason to add a weather line for those days because of the historical conditions.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:15 pm 

If that was the case then it wouldn't be so bad and could perhaps be working as designed. But the game engine apparently scrolls through the weather lines and sets the weather for the date at or before the start date of the scenario regardless of how far back the last entry was.

So for every turn of all the 2nd Bull Run weather scenarios, the weather stays as clearing/light smoke: