American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:48 pm 
Wow!

Its been 4 years since I was last at Stones River and the changes are huge! For those who went to Tillercon in Nashville these changes may even have occurred since then.

They redesigned the entire auto tour and opened up McFadden's Lane to auto traffic. They closed about 80% of the old auto tour loop and made it bicycle/walking only. The tour now leaves the Visitors Center and begins along McFadden's Lane. The goal seems to be to make it more chronological in nature than it previously was. The next stops are the Slaughter Pen and then the Cotton Field (old tour stop 1) followed by the Chicago Board of Trade Battery and then the Round Forest.

They also removed a ton of trees and underbrush and finally made the only breastworks on the battlefield, constructed by the Pioneer Brigade, accessible and visible (a short walk down a trail). The trenches are much more distinct than I ever knew since they cleared out the underbrush. They even placed metal shadow cutouts of Civil War soldiers aiming muskets in the trenches to give you an idea of the direction they faced and the cover they gave. These cutouts are the first I have seen of this kind and I think they are very cool! It almost would be better if they added a handful more (there were two here) and maybe added a Confederate cutout or two to represent the approaching line in the woods.

At the Slaughter Pen the broken cannon have been removed and more shadow cutout soldiers were placed between the huge boulders to give you the idea of what it was like fighting around them. I imagine kids will absolutely love these cutouts and the opportunity to stand next to them. Parents should definately be careful though as the rocks are very large with alot of places to trip and break a leg or ankle. But a very needed addition to the Slaughter Pen area.

The battlefield also added a bunch of new interpretive signs along the tour route. The battlefield used to have only five such signs, mostly metal signs left over from the 30s, but now contains at least a dozen new modern signs with pictures, quotes, and maps.

Also there is now the "cell phone tour" in which you can drive the auto tour route and call a number from your cell phone and a prerecorded voice will explain what occurred at each location. This is a new way to tour monuments and locations as there were a ton of such tours in DC when I lived near there. Expect lots more of these in the future! Also Battlefield Aps for your phone seem to be a coming wave.

Kudos to Stones River! The battlefield went from being a neglected small patch of land battlefield with a trailor for a visitors center to a well marked and routed battlefield complete with new signs, tours, and a beautiful visitors center!

For those of you who live nearby and havent been in a while I strongly suggest going again and admiring the changes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

I was at the last Tillercon and visited Stones River. The visitors center was there, but it sounds like a lot of other work has been done, especially at the Slaughter Pen and the breastworks.

It is an excellent site to visit.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:30 pm 
Undoubtedly they are preparing for the 150th Anniversary celebration. I am looking forward to going to Chickamauga as I know they were doing some work as well a few years back to improve the field.

Let us hope the funding to keep these fields in pristine condition will continue!

But, realisitcally, it won't. So be sure to drop a few bucks in the "Contribution" bucket at the parks on your next visit and/or join the American Civil War Preservation Trust! http://www.civilwar.org/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:39 pm 

I was there in 1994. Blake's report makes me want to go back. Also would like to spend more time at Chickamauga than I did back then.

Stewart's Corps
Army of Tennessee
Confederate Army

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:03 pm 
I'm just 30 and already I am as bald as the day I was born. I guess its fate getting me back for having such wonderfully awesome long hair back in the 80s/90s :mrgreen:

Thats me, the handsome devil on the far left...

Now I just go for the Bruce Willis look and shave off what I have left.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:29 pm 

Blake,

It's been 8 years since I've visited the park with my son. After reading your review I must go back soon since I only live an hour and a half away. Thanks for that very good report.

Regards,

Army of Tennessee
Commanding