American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which do you prefer?
Hard ZoC 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Weak ZoC 89%  89%  [ 24 ]
Indifferent 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 am 
Recently I have been playing a number of games with this option either turned on or off. Honestly, I can't decide which is better. I feel like it varies for me by scenario. If I am going to be attacking I like having it on because I can outflank the enemy and cut off their lines of retreat easier. If I am defending then its easier to fall back without being "stuck" and bagged.

It seems that everyone I play loves one and hates the other. So what does everyone else think about this option?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:36 pm 
I think it is highly gamey when on hard ZOC.....It makes it far to easy to completely destroy units....These games have a real problem with units getting totally destroyed, so I generally set games on Weak ZOC, with partial retreats, higher disrupted movement, and Isolation rules off.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:39 pm 

I prefer weak ZoC as I don't think units could control that much ground that long with rifle fire.

Union Military Academy Instructor

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:46 pm 

I always prefer weak zones partly to compensate for using isolation rules. Both work well or badly in different situations but they do need to be paired along with some of the other retreat rules. Isolation rule is needed to prevent small independent units from raising havoc all out of proportin to their size behind your lines. It also forces players to keep their commands together so they don't get isolated. Unfortunately, the isolation rules are to severe so you need them coupled with weak zones.

Weak zones probably better simulates the frontage of the regiments in most situations but does create a problem when regiments are unusually large and when units occupy entrenchments and should be able to defend a longer line.

Profile Send private message