American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Confederate Memorial Day
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 am 

I love the Turner Classic Movie Channel and watched "They Won't Forget" (1937) starring Claude Rains. In the movie, Confederate Memorial Day was mentioned and I don't remember it being mentioned on this forum or celebrated in any way although I probably missed it. When was it held? Is it still held? The last Confederate soldier died in 1959 at 117 yrs! the last Union soldier died in 1956 at 109! Unbelieveable.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:14 am 

General,

Yes, it is still held. Originally set to be on April 26 (the date of the surrender of Gen. Johnston to Gen. Sherman, but several states celebrate it on other days (as from what I understand, their flowers were not yet in bloom on April 26).

The following is from Wikipedia (which I realize many do not consider an official source, but so be it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Memorial_Day

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:37 am 

Actually, I rely on Wikipedia alot. If you are looking for a synopsis, this is the place ot go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:05 am 
I glanced at the Wiki page, and I will tell you that I believe it is incorrect with regards to Texas......I read a few years ago, that it was a holiday, and then was combined with MLK day, and then later quietly removed as a holiday completely for PC reasons. There are a few of us who remember on that day, but I do not believe there is anything state sanctioned any longer......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:28 am 

Why a holiday to remember the Confederate dead would interfere with MLK or have anything to do with him is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:33 am 

Gentlemen

In South Carolina, Confederate Memorial Day is celebrated on General Robert E. Lee's Birthday.

LTG TLM
AotM

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 am 
I agree, but it is considered by the forces of the PC to be offensive to Blacks.....There are efforts out there aimed at wiping out anything positive about Southern history. All of the plaques commemorating anything Confederate were removed from the State capital a few years ago, and replaced with Civil Rights Plaques......I'd have had no problem with putting the Civil Rights plaques up beside the Confederate ones, but removing them was and is offensive......It is the way of the PC though....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am 

You can't deny history. The Russians tried it in their country and it was a joke. I can see objections to references to the KKK but to ignore or try to erase the existence of memorials to brave men to died for their cause will only fan the flames of prejudice and create bad feelings for the relatives of those brave men. People take pride in their forebearers who fought in the Civil War.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 am 
I'll agree with everything but your first statement.....It does cause bad feelings, but it is indeed being done alittle at a time.......They have already been largely successful at it....The war is taught in a far less balanced manner than it used to be.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 am 

Very true.....the economic side of the war is never discussed..let alone the war is discussed as much as was when I was in school.....
also the way our society has developed...
when my dad was serving his 3 tours in Vietnam..we always went back to my mother's home town...Shelby NC
I couldnt walk the streets without running into cousins/aunts/uncles who were always keeping an eye on you or asking about your family.....small towns in the South were very tight knit but in this age of travel....people pull roots and leave......The South is losing its heritage....we are becoming like Eurpoe and losing our sectional nationalism.....

LTG TLM
AotM

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm 
The South is no longer the "South" I keep arguing. I'm sorry I just don't see it. The accents are fading away ever so gradually and the "local flavor" has been commercialized to death. Cracker Barrel sells it from coast to coast and McDonald's Sweet Tea brings it to everybody at lunch time. You can get "good southern fried chicken" in Cheyenne, Wyoming, if you want. Further, did you ever try to find a "local" anymore? If you had to define the state I am in by the license plates I see in my parking lot then you couldn't do it. New Jersey, Alabama, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Florida... it's rough. The south is definately losing its "sectional nationalism" as Tim said. But, I am fine with that in the end. I still love to see the Rebel flags and the "Old South" but about 95% of that is put on for tourists who stop at Love's Travel Store to buy an authentic Civil War Bullet and Rebel flag (both made in China). I'd rather see it die out then see it get commercialized to death. Another generation or two and you will really see it come to a complete end. After that it will really be "Gone with the Wind."

But that "Lost Cause" southern nationalism is being replaced with Americanism so really its not a problem in my book. Honor the heritage but at some point the South had to move on. I guess thats finally happening. "Look Away.... Look Away... Look Away... Dixie Land."

I grew up in Chicago not too long ago and we'd play outside all of the time and the "moms" of the neighborhood always looked after us. I think communities can still function like that but it depends on where you live. But people seem increasingly afraid to let their kids out of their sight. Hell, when we were kids I remember going off like Huck Finn and trying to see how much mischief I could get in. I always got back home before dark though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:28 pm 

Blake

"HELL NO...I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN"
and my granddaughters are being properly raised as a Southerner..
LOL
best I can do now until I can attempt to respond in a more intelligent manner...(No wisecracks LOL)

Tim

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm 
No wisecracks, I shall try :D

We do need to celebrate Confederate Memorial Day in the Club though. Kinda odd we forgot to. I blame Cameron's alcoholism for it. We spend all of our time trying to keep him from falling off his horse that everything else is forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 pm 

Here in North Carolina if you can prove that you had a relative that served with the South then you can get a tag with the stars and bars with the letters SCV above it which stands for Sons of Confederate Veterans and live in south eastern North Carolina I still see the Stars and Bars being flown in peoples front yards. Also the SCV has chapters like the VFW and Veterans of Foreign Wars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 pm 
When I say theyare teaching things differently than they used to....A state sponsored history test my daughter took a few years ago started with this question.

"The cause of the Civil War was ____________?
A. Slavery
B. Tarrifs
C. States Rights
D. All of the Above

The only answer the state of Texas considered correct was A. Slavery
BULLS%#T!!!!!!
I am proud to say my daughter answered D......