American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:47 am 

Gentlemen

I recall, but cannot find, a thread which advised that if a player has two games open simultaneously with different optional rules, the game engine will apply the same set of optional rules to both. Is that correct?

I am on the second game of a campaign, and the optional rules have changed since the first game - how do we get back to the agreed set? Presumably by use of the text editor on the cpf file, but where ?

Respectfully submitted
Ian Miller
Lt Gen USV

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 am 

The HPS game engine in each game package will always save the last optional rules selection you have used as the new "default" setting. This means that, if you are playing a campaign and then also simutaneously begin another campaign or scenario with different options in the same game package, you must have noted down the orginal settings and then manually re-apply them for any subsequent, transitional campaign battles to maintain the original options. This presumes that you wanted to play the entire campaign with the same options.

I do not know if it is possible to re-edit the options once the game has begun, but it should be. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on this part of it.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 am 

I think Joe is right. You have to make sure you check and set the optional rules before each scenario in a campaign in case the ones it defaults to aren't the ones you wanted for the battles of that campaign - or make sure your opponent sets them on his pc if he is the one who is prompted with the scenario setup. It is easy to get caught out with this. I do not think there is a way of changing the options in a battle once you have started it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 am 

Generals

In the HPS Chickamauga campaign series the options rules appear to be set for the entire campaign at the beginning of the campaign, and the player interface does not offer the possibility of resetting between battles, so I do not understand Joe's suggestion of manually resetting. The game engine has unchecked two options between scenarios, presumably for the reasons stated, resulting in an unsatisfactory set of rules.

Are you saying that we would need to restart the campaign with the correct rules and use the PBEM terminations bids to get to where we are now?

Ian Miller
Lt Gen USV
3/XVI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:45 am 

Ian, as far as I know there is a point within the actual transition to a next campaign battle where the players, or at least one of them, are able to change the optional selections. If you have saved your movement files from the previous game, you should be able to capture the options that were used, re-load to the last turn, and then re-cycle into the transition. At some point either you or your opponent will have the capabilty of again re-setting the options.

I have also asked Gen. Miller, who is very knowledgeable on the engine codes, to weigh in on how it might otherwise be possible to re-write the options for where you currently are in the next battle.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:41 pm 

Joe
You are right - I ran a dummy campaign and it came up for the US player to set the rules for game 1 and the CS player to set the rules for the second game - that must have been when the game engine reset the options.

Thanks for the pointers

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:14 pm 

With the current high limits on email folders I save all my game files until the campaign/battle is over. If you or your opponent do this and haven't played many turns and really want to reset the options you can back up to the email where you started the most recent battle, download the game file to the game folder and reset the options and start the battle over.

If you start any new game be it campaign battle or stand alone the game engine saves the last settings on the options page just as it saves the last View and Setting menu options you selected.

Although you can reset some things from a non-encrypted battle or a cpf file I'm not aware of any way to reset the options from the cpf or bte files.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP