American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 pm 

For Immediate Release
August 23, 2012
For more information, contact:
Mary Koik, Civil War Trust, (202) 367-1861 x7231
MEDIA ADVISORY: CIVIL WAR TRUST MARKS SECOND MANASSAS ANNIVERSARY WITH PUBLIC DEMOS OF NEW SMARTPHONE BATTLE APP
(Manassas, Va.) – On Tuesday, August 28, 2012, Civil War Trust staff will mark the 150th anniversary of the Second Battle of Manassas by offering public demonstrations of the newest title in its growing series of Battle Apps — free, multimedia and GPS-enabled smartphone tours underwritten with grant funding from the Virginia Department of Transportation and created in partnership with NeoTreks, Inc., an industry leader in mobile GPS-based touring.

Like its predecessors, which explore the battles of Bull Run, Cedar Creek, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg and Malvern Hill, the new Second Manassas Battle App includes video segments from top historians, period and modern imagery, and detailed topographical maps, all of which help bring the battlefield to life — plus a wealth of resource materials to provide valuable background information. Battle Apps offer the convenience of a self-guided tour with the benefits of an expert-led presentation — and all at no cost. To date, more than 60,000 people have downloaded the Trust’s Battle Apps, offerings that have earned top reviews from users.
With three distinct tours covering Brawner’s Farm, the Unfinished Railroad position, and Longstreet’s attack on August 30, 1862, the Trust’s Second Manassas Battle App is among the richest and deepest battlefield touring products available today. At each stop, “virtual signs” contain a rich description of the historical significance of the site utilizing video, audio, photo and textual content. “Pinch-zoom” technology and customizable, dual-layer troop displays demonstrate how the attacks and counterattacks unfolded across the landscape.
For more information about the content, use and availability of GPS-enable Civil War Trust Battle Apps, please visit http://www.civilwar.org/battleapps.

WHAT: Public demonstrations of Second Manassas Battle App, debuting for iPhone and Android devices to coincide with the 150th anniversary
WHEN: August 28, 2012 from 11:00 a.m.–2 p.m. ET
WHERE: Manassas National Battlefield Park Visitor Center, 6511 Sudley Road, Manassas, Va.
The Civil War Trust is the largest nonprofit battlefield preservation organization in the United States. Its goal is to preserve our nation’s endangered Civil War sites and to promote appreciation of these hallowed grounds through education and heritage tourism. To date, the Trust has preserved more than 32,000 acres of battlefield land in 20 states. Please visit the Trust’s website at http://www.civilwar.org, the home of the Civil War sesquicentennial.
###

Lieutenant General Tom Phillips
7th Cavalry Brigade/The Brus
Armstrong's Cavalry Division
Hardee's Corps (1st Corps)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:01 pm 

They now have a few battlefield apps. Next time I visit a battlefield, I will be sure to get the appropriate APP!

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm 

My Lady's been feeding me these dispatches that I thought ought to be posted here as, it is to be hoped, a matter of interest to some in The Club.
Personally the Apps are useless to me as I refuse to own a phone smarter than I am :)

Lieutenant General Tom Phillips
7th Cavalry Brigade/The Brus
Armstrong's Cavalry Division
Hardee's Corps (1st Corps)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:57 pm 

Good man! Happy to see I'm not the only one :roll:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:02 pm 
Neal is just upset because those old rotary phones confounded him for years. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:52 am 

General Phillips <salute>

Sir, thank you for that update. I can't wait for when they have an App for battlefields in my neck of the woods, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, etc......I think it's pretty neat and very user friendly, even for General Hebert I would think.

Gen. Blake, I miss the old rotary phones, as a kid my grandmother still had an ancient black rotary phone that when you turned the dial it made that amusing clicking noise. And I was somehow able to connect to other parties than originally intentioned. Listening in on other folks conversations I think became a big pastime for grandma, lol......this might have been the pre-cursor to today's reality shows.

Army of Tennessee
Commanding