American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:23 am 
Everyone has a favorite battle I believe. But which battle is the one that if someone suggest you immediately say, "no thank you."

For all Confederates in the Club let us not all choose Nashville from the Franklin game :mrgreen: That one is an automatic, "no thank you" I think.

For me it is Second Manassas. I don't know why but I just don't care for it at all. I think because the Union player knows to expect Longstreet and he can react accordingly it takes away alot of the historical advantage that Lee had.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:57 pm 

That is a great question.

I agree with 2nd Manassas, I have lost twice at it, because the US knew what was going to happen. I also dont like Antietam. I think those two are almost impossible for the CS to win unless it is against a very new US Player.

Donald Vandergriff
Brigadier General, CSA
Commanding 7th Brigade
Army of Mississippi

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:07 pm 

Antietam and Gettysburg historical..........

Gettysburg you have to win big on day one.

I prefer meeting engagements..........more FOW the better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm 

I pretty much dislike any of the historical battles; we know what the commanders at the time didn't know. Refighting "Pickett's Charge" must be a joy, I've never tried it myself.

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:21 am 

Pickett's Charge in the BG series was quick and sweet. The Rebs charged, both sides held their breath, and the Rebs either won or lost the battle with the first melees. If the Rebs didn't win them then it didn't make any difference what happened afterwards. I played with the Rebs and suffered a historical result.

However, I digress as usual. I have no love for Chancellorsville as a Yank, don't understand why any Reb would keep fighting a Vicksburg campaign as long as the Yank chooses to skirt around Vicksburg to the south, Antietam is mighty tough for a Reb to win, the Ozarks are full of 'impossible' battles to win (for both sides, just not the same battle), but the battle at the top of my Yankee garbage list is Shiloh. The reason is ... I'm not saying because I'm sure that I'll have to fight there again.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 pm 

I am ok with playing any battle, even ones which the CSA is doomed to loose. If I can end these battles with just a draw then I feel I have done well. Yep I have played Nashville, got whooped, but had fun trying to make the union pay, will play it again

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 am 

[quote="cameronm"]I am ok with playing any battle, even ones which the CSA is doomed to loose. If I can end these battles with just a draw then I feel I have done well. Yep I have played Nashville, got whooped, but had fun trying to make the union pay, will play it again[/quote]

Now that's a good attitude to have. Back before Ned Simms came to his senses and switched sides to the Union, I took him on in almost every historical scenario there was on all the Talonsoft games. Did I take some good thrashings? You bet I did but Ned and I had fun, Ned probably more then me from looking at the won-loss records, but none the less we had fun.

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 pm 

Gentlemen {salute}

I'll play any battle anyone wants to play at any time. :mrgreen: But Gettysburg would be my least favorite. It's been played to death. But to each his own. 8)

Lt. Col. Deano {salute}

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:21 pm 

I agree with the comments about Gettysburg. Love going there, love watching the movie, love reading about it, but wargaming it is about as much fun as a root canal.

Stewart's Corps
Army of Tennessee
Confederate Army

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 pm 

I haven't found a battle that I WON'T play. There are some though that I really get a bad feeling in the gut. Just a brief comment on Gettysburg (the campaign). I have played many of them - lost most of them as the Reb - but I have had soooooo many different aspects of this battle. Sometimes it is fun just to try something completely off of the wall and see what happens. Note to the wise though - if you get too reckless - you will be writing a lot of notes home to the mothers of lost cyber lads.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am 
Blake wrote:
Everyone has a favorite battle I believe. But which battle is the one that if someone suggest you immediately say, "no thank you." For all Confederates in the Club let us not all choose Nashville from the Franklin game :mrgreen: That one is an automatic, "no thank you" I think.

I don't know about the play balance of the Nashvillle scenarios in the HPS Franklin game, but the real battle of Nashville might have turned out quite a bit differently if Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry had been available to guard Hood's left flank instead of sent off on a useless raid on Murfreesboro. Weren't some infantry brigades (Bates' division ?) also dispatched from Nashville along with Forrest's cavalry for the Murfreesboro raid? For Hood to divide his forces while facing an enemy superior in numbers was not a good decision. I don't know if there are any hypothetical Nashvillle scenarios in the HPS Franklin game that keep those units at Nashville facing Thomas. Might make for an interesting game ??