American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:12 pm 
Gentlemen,

I have been asked to redesign General Ned Simms "LinkExpress" site. I've always viewed it as a central location to go to find all the various web pages and forums within the Club... on both the Confederate and Union sides of the Club. Things can become quickly disjointed when there isn't one place we can go to for this information.

So... I'll be getting to work on this task and I'll certainly need the help of Officer's on both sides of the Club. Here's some ways you can help:

1) Post the "Official" web locations for your Army/Corps/Division/Brigade web pages & forums below. I'll try to gather things off the various web sites but I have often found two pages claiming to be "The Army of the Mississippi" or two pages that say they are "II Corps of the ANV". Being a Yank... I'm relatively clueless as to which one is the "Official" page and which one is simply an older version that is still out there on the web.

2) Ideas and suggestions on how the pages should be set up are welcome.

3) Graphics that might be used that either show the USA & CSA in cooperation... or Reb graphics and Yank graphics that compliment each other. Something dealing with unit structures might be good.

4) Does anyone have a program called "Microsoft Image Composer"? It used to be distributed with MS Frontpage in the old days. I'm looking for a graphics program that is capable of generating "Word Art". I know composer used to be able to do this but I no longer have my copy.

Once I've put something together... I'll post a link here for all to see and you can share your thoughts on the pages. The crazy thing about web design is with so many web browsers out there... that things will look differently in Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome and sometimes what works in one... totally doesn't work in another!

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:18 am 

Glad to see it being done. Some of these gentlemen are A+ when it comes to notifying you of changes. There are some great and devoted people in this club.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 am 

Excellent work. Thanks.

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp-Commander
AotT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:29 pm 
Absolutely, those are some handy links. :D

The idea behind the LinkExpress site is to be a central place to go for EVERY link in the Club. There are lots of web pages beyond just the Army web pages... but they get lost in the shuffle. Can you tell me where to locate the "Gator Alley" Division web page?

No? But I'm sure you could find LinkExpress... and then you could go right to it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:18 pm 
pierred wrote:

It is not a particular visually appealing page. Your work will certainly improve that.

Except for the fact he has a Bison's head on the logo. Did we move the war to Montana? Teddy Roosevelt will be thrilled, sir! Bully!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 am 

Last edited by Olinsky on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:49 pm 

The Link Express has been an important place to get club information and many members do use it.

It can do no harm to update the site and give a choice for members. Not everyone stops by the forums and the Link Express is a convenient way to keep up with other events.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:28 pm 

What's wrong with a Bison's head? They use to be all over the great plains and they were there in the 1860's. Besides, the Rebs have gators, elephants and lord knows what not. They will need to build an Ark when it comes time to evacuate Richmond! :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:35 pm 

Knowing the Naval Ability of the South, the ark would most likely sink

MG Elkin
XVIth Corps-Commander
AotT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:44 pm 
David Elkin/Drex = 1
Blake = 0

I can't even respond. You win that verbal round, gentlemen. The south will rise again though!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 pm 

Col Olinsky, don't let him shake you. Nothing around here suits everybody. If it lasted 12 years then somebody saw a need for it - besides me. He is correct though that the Link Express could use a breath of fresh air and some new paint.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 am 
General Simms,
Ned,

I'll be investing some time on the project today! <salute>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 am 
Gentlemen,

Here's a rough draft for the project thus far... still a long, long ways to go!

http://shenandoah.acwgc-usa.org/LinkExpress.html

General Blake was complaining about the buffalo head. I wonder how he's going to like Ned's skull and crossed swords logo? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 pm 

Colonel Olinsky <salute>

I was unaware that the site even existed, however have now added it to my ACWGC favorites. Fine work, suh!

The Gator Alley site is http://www.acwgc.org/GatorAlley/2D1CAotM.html although it is a bit out of date, although I've worked on it in fits and starts since Major General Reneau took command.

I'll see what I can do to create a II Corps, Army of the Mississippi site, however my skills are very limited at best. Any help you might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary