American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 pm 

Jefferson H. Davis wrote:
Genril Miller,

I will just mention that I have a little girl critter of my own....precious little 25 year old....sweetest little girl ever......Ah but she grew up and I feel sorry for the males she chews up and spits out these days.........Oh and to both of you....I'm a Cowboys fan for almost 50 years....The Vikes gave us some heartache, and we gave them some......yesterday was definatly heartache, they just flat sucked......

General Nelms,

If I understood your statement correctly, you intend to pretty much let things run as they are, and be pretty much a "reactive" President, as opposed to a "proactive" President with an active agenda of change that you intend to implement? I do not mean that one style is neccessarily better (that would be according to the situation), but I will say that since you are one of those damnable Yankees (meant in a roleplaying manner of course :).........), that perhaps we Southerns would prefer that you are reactive...lol....So, joking aside, did I basicly read your statement correctly?

Well as I see it the only difference between proactive and reactive is who sees an issue first. :wink: I believe the club is in good shape and doesn't require major fixes at his time. I think you'll agree that the vast majority of members are here to find like minded opponents who enjoy the playacting aspect. I believe the first job of the Cabinet and the President is to make sure we provide the framework to do so with as little bother to them as possible. We can make tweaks to improve what we have and incorporate new ideas and technologies as we see them but it always needs to be with that primary job in mind.

Union Military Academy Instructor

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 pm 

Neal Hebert wrote:
General Nelms <salute>

Suh, my compliments! Your service to the ACWGC is commendable, and I salute you for your contributions to the club and desire to see it thrive.

I see that you mention making promoting the club "wherever and whenever possible" a part of your platform, if you will. I do like the thought of an "exit poll" and whatever replies to such recieved could help resolve issues that caused members to leave.

My question is more on recruitment, which you did address. How would you go about recruiting new members from a generation more interested in X-Box "shoot 'em ups" with probably little or no understanding of the Civil War other than what they've seen on the television revolving around movements to have states remove the Confederate battle flag from their flags or similar matters?

Highest regards,

I think the hardest recruiting to do will be with the X-box generation. Personally, I think our biggest chance of recruitment will be from wargamers who enjoy other periods and come across our club while surfing around or folks who have outgrown the X-box games and find an interest in history from playing military first person shooters for example. For instance I would plan on keeping a post at the top of the list at Matrix games in all three American Civil War related forums there. Hopefully folks will cruise in as they are interested from seeing items about the 150th anniversary and get interested in the games and then our club. This is just one example as their are numerous websites where we can follow the same formula. My hope for the X-box generation is that as they age they will lose interest in that format and develop an interest in history that will lead them to us. I'm afraid that peer pressure and the instant gratification that today's youth seek will not lend themselves to our club and games. I'm hopeful that a few will develop an interest in history and follow up with a Google search that will lead to us. The main thing will be to keep postings about our club in front of folks where they can find us.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 pm 
The X-Box generation... I prefer PS3 myself... but, man, we can't compete for them. We will lose, lol.

If I was 16 and I could buy Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 or Campaign Vicksburg (equal price). . . sorry. I am off to kill Commies all night long!

Mark's right, our best hope is to get the ex-military members or the more intelligent people who are tired of simple shoot em ups. Reaching them is the main challenge.

But with Call of Duty... man, does mowing down a bunch of guys in a MP game ever get old?! Those of you who play these games understand me! Getting a kill streak of about 15 strung together.... yeah, buddy :mrgreen: Instant gratification.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:27 pm 

General Nelms <salute>

Suh, I thank you for your prompt reply!

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm 

General Blake <salute>

Suh, my compliments! Your arguments are accurate and true, however unless we can 1) come up with PS3 battles or 2) bring in new blood we are doomed to the same fate as those who participated in the Civil War. We die, and the memory with it.

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:36 pm 

Neal

as always..on top of things.....

Tim

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:40 pm 
Neal Hebert wrote:
General Blake <salute>

Suh, my compliments! Your arguments are accurate and true, however unless we can 1) come up with PS3 battles or 2) bring in new blood we are doomed to the same fate as those who participated in the Civil War. We die, and the memory with it.

I'm all for the first option Neal. Let us develop a Civil War shooter game! We just need a few million and I am sure Ernie would be happy to give us the money. Then we could all log on at the same time, line up our video game characters, and bang away at one another! I'd be the guy hiding in a pile of rubble off to the side of the road sniping at people. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm 

Though I don't have a lot of contact with General Nelms, I have been impressed. However, being a Reds fan, I would look for victories over the Cubs the next few days.

On a more serious note, I have a couple of questions.

Do you feel that the Artillery segment of the Tiller games needs a slight modification. I currently believe that the Union Artillery was superior to the Confederate Artillery, and I find that is not always true in many of the games I have played.

Would you think a Mexican War Variant for the the Club might be valuable?

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp-Commander
AotT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 pm 

Blake

there is PS2 Civil War shooter game..........
tried to get my granddaughter to select it at Gamestop but alas she was more interested in Mario Brothers.....

Tim

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 pm 
We could try doubling the bonuses we pay to new people who sign up....., and then raise the salary that our members get for serving in their respective armies by 50%!!!!!! Surely that would bring in new members.......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 pm 
I gave the Cabinet a 500% raise last year actually. We now make $00000. Cha-ching!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 pm 

General Blake <salute>

"I'd be the guy hiding in a pile of rubble off to the side of the road sniping at people"

Based on your record of forgetting your wallet when it comes time to pay for drinks, you'd probably forget your weapon :mrgreen:

General Nelms, sorry to hijack your campaign thread but the reply seemed approriate :wink:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 pm 
Hell, ya'll can vote yourselves and even bigger raise....I appreciate ya'lls efforts so much I think you should be paid $000,000,000,000.00 a year!!!! Now this is starting to sound like a campaign! "If I am elected I'll make sure everyone gets their present salaries and benefits tripled!!!!!" A winning strategy for sure.....Which candidate will embrace it first?????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 pm 
Members,

As much as I love friendly banter lets try to respect the purpose of the campaign threads and keep our humorous remarks reserved for elsewhere. Yes, I am guilty also. :oops: Lets allow Mark and Pierre to get back to their campaign messages and if anyone has questions feel free to post them here. I just dont want any serious points to get lost in the shuffle as we try to confirm that Mark is a Cubs fan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm 

Cruces wrote:
Though I don't have a lot of contact with General Nelms, I have been impressed. However, being a Reds fan, I would look for victories over the Cubs the next few days.

On a more serious note, I have a couple of questions.

Do you feel that the Artillery segment of the Tiller games needs a slight modification. I currently believe that the Union Artillery was superior to the Confederate Artillery, and I find that is not always true in many of the games I have played.

Would you think a Mexican War Variant for the the Club might be valuable?

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp-Commander
AotT

I believe your artillery question is one for the designers not the Club President. There are several things I'd change about the games but I discuss them with the guys making the games who can actually do something about them. As to the Mexican War variant I do believe that the Cabinet discussed adding Mexican War to our line up but in the end it was decided to leave it with the Colonial Campaign Club as it was part of the Early American War series.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next