American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scourge of War
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 pm 

Matrix page: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sPPX1BEWF_1ZG6FpbxBoSMO0bx6wehqeeZgXLNCIFDUToe2CqjtGsPDymcxuEJTRol7m2GmiJc25wwxi8UgblzU0eRmrgOHFnzIC3RUQJrpMyaQmUMkhmnSa-pIY79JXQt9U32QG-pHn5XKWuoPNTXXpM_vVORxD_fXgN9mtHsg_axocOMbB1i0lDxpYHPdeOJxkPabvhJ1rjexD4s0IOm8sCV23PHkjNPfzDGX3cQwqzVKaJEAxbOyLDOCXWFaq7T-h7SOT7UCOAnqxjSJCi9l0bOfvYyhCR28nYRtTwwDbtyvskuxh1JNJR6HoYdW4YX_oBNxDtAKS0s9rcwx4C0415roGZyR4nRPmsRPIMdk=

Armchair General Review:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/scourge-of-war-gettysburg-pc-game-review.htm

There are 2 new expansions, Antietam and Pipe Creek.

Who has it? Who has played it? Any reviews wold be helpful.

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp -Commander
AotT

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Scourge of War
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:56 am 

Seems we have multiple threads on this one. I comment some in the other.

I agree with most of the Armchair review except to point out two major flaws in this and really all games that use this approach:

1. It lacks an email method of play. Any good simulation of a Civil War battle is going to take many hours of head to head play that is nearly impossible to set up as a direct internet play situation. (I haven't verified that it still lacks this in the latest version but I believe it is missing.)

2. Once you get to higher levels of command (division, Corps, Army) the AI starts having problems making your troops act like anything other than random mobs. It requires a lot of micro management to get every one going the same direction.

Take Command solved these problems because WWII combat doesn't rely on large scale "formations" and they built the system around a command entry followed by WEGO execution which made it mailable. SoW is real time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:34 pm 

I am hoping to find some current additional games to get into the Club. PBEM should not be the only option we allow in game play. Some folks like realtime and we can support that too if we can think of good ways for scoring. We did it at the NWC. A little different scoring system than the usual, but we found a way to make it work within the overall structure of the Club.

We need to think of other games to include, for different types of gamers. We also need folks who are interested to branch out, try new games and support the new members of these games. I have tried to, but we need more people to do so. AACW, Forge of Freedom are awesome games in my opinion. The CCC has a good following of Birth of America, but that is because many veterans took to the game and welcomed the new members and played with them......

Just some thoughts to consider. It is really key for the success of the Club.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 am 

How is asking to explore adding a new game and including it in DoR adding another admin level. It is temporary work to edit the DoR and enter in the data, it isn't a routine & full time position. It isn't any different than when HPS adds a new game and it gets coded into DoR.

As for communication, I know some good DC's & CC's that contact their men. I also know AC's who contact their men. A lot of folks are happy with a monthly report/check in and an occasional email otherwise. Not everyone requires constant communication. Are there places this can be improved, yes, but there are also good examples of it going on right now too.

The CCC has had some nice gains for membership and is experiencing a nice renewal of activity due to some good members breathing life into it. The hidden forums is an issue I have addressed with Ernie and it has to do with Guest accounts being able to post, an issue he doesn't know how to resolve and I keep forgetting to ask Pierre to lend us a hand on that. Not some veil of secrecy.

This topic though is about exploring a new game to be included in the Club, to be used as a potential recruitment tool. I think it is important that while other issues are being explored for improving the Club, we look for ways to get fresh members into it, that who knows, might infuse fresh ideas and take commands and do wonders with them.

I am not disagreeing that there is room for improvement in communication though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:56 am 

Bill Peters wrote:
I NEVER had a DC or CC that communicated with me in this club. Others have said the same.

No invitations to MP games, no personal emails. It is the ONLY weak point in the club. The Chain of Command just toadies along with the CO. If he sends out an all hands message they echo it.

Sorry, but the days of when I first joined the club are long gone. I remember Roger and Randy guiding me along, inviting me to play in games. It was a blast. Ralph Peterson will remember that too.

Bill I would think a lot of things have changed since you first joined this club, things like color on tv's, phones you can carry with you, and horseless carriages. :D

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 am 

I am not doubting you, don't get me wrong. I know it has been an issue for you for a while. I was just saying there are examples of when it works too, that's all. The issue comes with finding volunteers sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes. There used to be floods of folks looking to help out, but that seems to be smaller these days. It could be that people don't know they have the ability to do so. I think that was an issue at the AotM way back when, but now they've got a really good groups of hands on people. The ANV is another goos example too. But I am also not aware of how the other forces operate, so I cannot comment on that.

The days of when I first joined are long gone too, but folks learn from those traditions and then emulate them.

By the way the AotM is involved in quite a few grudge matches with other armies and there are a bunch of emails going around to the officers in the army making discussion from both junior and senior commanders. My inbox was filling up with stuff last night. I credit Jim Garner and his support staff for doing a fine job with that outfit.