American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm 

What about this game?

http://slitherine.com/games/sow_gb_pc?u ... dium=email

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 am 

Love the graphics but the game suffers the problems all such real time, 3D games suffer. In order to make the terrain and little animated soldiers the designer loses fine control of position and movement. It creates an environment that is to complex for the AI these games have. If you play the game with just a few regiments you can micro manage them into something that looks like Civil War. But as you add more units things go out of control. You will notice this when you see regiments ordered to advance a few hundred yards go into road column first and march under fire a hundred yards then go back to line.

I haven't kept up with new updates so it is possible the designers could keep improving the game engine until they fix these flaws but I am not sure they have the financial support to do this. I did see where they are releasing two new modules to cover Pipe Creek and Antietam if I remember correctly.

The game designers took on an overwhelming task. 3D game engines are very complex. There is a reason most of the first person shooters based on these engines have million dollar budgets and teams of developers. They have accomplish a lot with so few people but it still needs a lot of work in the AI area.

But I noticed the price has come down from when I bought it so it isn't a bad addition if you want a game to play around with on the side. Until they come up with some way to play it by email it will always be a limited game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:36 am 

Thanks Kennon. The screenshots are beautiful so I was curious what was under the hood. al