American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:10 am 

Great job General...........thanks for taking the time.

For those interested..........You Tube has several video's of analysis of moving, shooting.....so on.

very interesting.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:01 am 

Tutorial - Division Command

While I won the battle I realized I had little control over what everone was doing on the field. The enemy and I actually ended up facing the opposite direction from where we started. The AI tended to take over officers and move them wherever. The player tends to take over regiments and try to get them in line and near each other.

What I learned from all this is that I need to study the User Manual and find out more about how leader commands work. Especially when you are trying to issue commands through the leader to the regiments.

So I am moving on to try some actual scenarios and doing a little studying. Also going to look up those YouTube videos. The game really consists of three separate game systems. The first is like the Tutorials but corresponds to historic situations on the Gettysburg battlefield. It is the "Single Battles" section. It is further subdivided into "Gettysburg Scenarios" which are 20 infantry fights and 10 cavalry fights during the historic battle, "Sandbox Scenarios" which are a create your own situation, and "User Scenarios" which are ones created by other players.

The next group are the "Multiplayer" section. Here you go against online players. You can link up with players either through the game's "Lobby" or by hosting your own game. Their are various scenarios to choose from. The interesting thing here is that you can take full advantage of having players command each division or brigade and use the courier system for realistic messaging of orders in the game. The problem area is how to host since someone, even if done through the lobby, has to know how to set up the host computer. It is not a simple task to host. You must know how to change your computer to static IP, which usually isn't the default, and how to set port forwarding through all your firewalls. People who have DSL modems have it easy on this one. Those with cable are in for a learning experience.

And last are the "Modifications" or Mods. Here Mod developers can put in their own modifications to how the game works. This is where you will be able to put modules that fix things like the AI formation change behavior. I know little about this yet.

Profile Send private message