American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A/I Commander Control
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:02 pm 

Hi all,
I've been away from the game for a while and I've deceided to try out the A/I Commander Control feature. The manual/help files don't have much in the way of details on how it operates and I've has no luck trying to play A/I Commander Control v.s A/I Commander Control. Does anyone know where I can get some detailed information on how this feature works? I think it might be a fun thing to try if but so far it's been most unwieldy. Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:59 am 

The only information I can see is under Leader Selection Dialog and Order Dialog in the main help file. In the Leader Selection Dialog you select the leaders you want to control. I think that if you don't select a leader, then he is just controlled 100% by the AI and follows the default AI script. The order dialog is where you view/set/alter the orders and objective for your subordinate commands when playing under commander control. I've never used this feature before but I played around with it a little and it seems you select a leader, select order type, and then right click on a location you want his formation to defend or attack. The AI then moves your units according to the orders you set. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm really not familiar with this feature.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 am 

"CC" is a great way to play against the AI on equal footing, but it takes practice to get used to doing it right an it works best for smaller scenarios where the enemy is already nearby. This is because the AI still has a problem moving whole formations in column (it tends to move only the leader and accompanying regiment and leave the rest of the brigade/division behind.)

You can command down to brigade, but not individual regiments unless they are in the game under independent commands. In addition to General Barlow's information, here are a few other things to consider:

1. The option is only available in "Normal" play mode, so if you wanted to play both sides with CC then you lose FOW (i.e. you can't play "hot seat" with CC)

2. When given the option at start to select which units will be under command, use the ALT key to select more than one brigade, and I recommend that you select all of the highlighted units including all subordinates. If you select only the Division, you apparently do not get command of the subordinates. Do not select any of the non-highlighted commands.

3. You should become familiar with how the AI performs the different script orders like "Extreme Attack" or "No Order" etc. For example, if you order a brigade to attack after it has taken some casualties, it may pull back instead... so give it the "Attack (Extreme)" order to send it in without regard to casualties. The information is in the cwedit.pdf under editing scripts.

4. The computer will cycle through each brigade to give orders to. When prompted to give orders during the Movement phase, select the order then right click the objective hex - you should see a big arrow point from the selected unit to the objective hex. If you don't see the arrow then you probably gave a command to a unit that is not in CC (so wait for the computer to cycle through each brigade).

5. You get the option to cancel the CC and move units normally. I use this option only to move commanders to routed units since the computer will normally not do this for you.

Practice with some of the AI challenge scenarios, it adds an element of uncertainty when the units don't always do what you order them to do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm 

Col. Simonitch sir: {salute}

If I want to command, say a Corps, and I am only interested in commanding a Corps. Would I select the Corps Commander, then issue each division commander his orders at the popup, or select every commanding officer in the Corps and issue orders to every brigade officer at the popup?

Sorry if I'm confused and/or confusing but I'm only interested in commanding the Corps. What is the method to accomplish that?

Regards,

Col. Martin {salute}

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 pm 

Col. Martin,

At the start of the scenario, you will need to select the highlighted Corps Commander and all of the highlighted subordinates.

My experience has been that issueing CC orders to Division and Corps commanders only moves the commander himself. So you need to select the brigade commanders as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 pm 

Col. Simonitch sir: {salute}

Thank you very much! :D

Col. Martin {salute}

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:13 pm 

My pleasure Colonel, Sir.

My parting shots are these: Be prepared to witness first hand the ineptitude of the AI as you take command of the scripts. It still doesn't know how to change to column to cross bridges, it will use Cavalry like infantry, it will not seek to use commanders to rally units unless the commander initially routed with it, it will act like it has all the time in the world to prepare for an attack without consideration of natural obstacles between the LOD and the objective, and it will have trouble responding to the most obvious of threats.

It does seem to have the ability to maintain a continuous line for an attack or defense and will not readily make suicide attacks even if ordered to do so.

These are just my personal observations.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 pm 
I think the much cooler option is the Moderator Led Game as defined by the Club Rules:

4.2.1.5 Moderator-led Games This is a special case in which one club member serves as moderator, receiving instructions from the players and executing those instructions by playing both sides. While the players receive the normal points for this type of game, the moderator is on neither side. This type of game involves much more work on the part of the moderator than a normal games does. To compensate, the moderator of such a game (approved by both CoA’s) will receive double the points of a single player of the winning side.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:10 pm 

Thank you all for your kind responses. I think I now have enough information to try a game. I intend to intervene and get the AI on the right track in the situations listed ie cav attacking like inf, inablity to use bridges/fords, moving along roads, needlessly delaying attacks, etc.

I suppose I can switch back and forth between manual and AICC without missing too many beats. I don't suppose there is any downside to switching back and forth between manual and AICC. Also, I wonder if I go from AICC to AI automatic then will the AI automatic retain my orders?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:59 pm 

Quote:
I suppose I can switch back and forth between manual and AICC without missing too many beats. I don't suppose there is any downside to switching back and forth between manual and AICC. Also, I wonder if I go from AICC to AI automatic then will the AI automatic retain my orders?

You should have no problem switching between the different modes for the AI, however I don't think automatic AI will retain your orders... I would think it would read the designer's script or develop it's own ideas. Not sure though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:08 pm 

Blake wrote:
I think the much cooler option is the Moderator Led Game as defined by the Club Rules:

4.2.1.5 Moderator-led Games This is a special case in which one club member serves as moderator, receiving instructions from the players and executing those instructions by playing both sides. While the players receive the normal points for this type of game, the moderator is on neither side. This type of game involves much more work on the part of the moderator than a normal games does. To compensate, the moderator of such a game (approved by both CoA’s) will receive double the points of a single player of the winning side.

Most definitely an excellent way to play. It is a time-consuming game for the moderator, but the experience of the players is very, very good.

In this type of game, orders are lost, riders do not get the info to specific leaders in time and subordinate leaders MIGHT not react to the orders received.

It does gib=ve the feel of "real" battles.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."