American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:27 pm 
Do you ever look at the Civil War and simply marvel at a few points that just can't be explained easily?

Wilmer McLean's house first stood at Manassas in 1861 and was used by Beauregard as his Headquarters. To escape the war he later moved to Appomattox where Lee and Grant met in his home to discuss the surrender of the ANV.

Gettysburg and Vicksburg were both victories that fell on July 4.

Lincoln was killed on Good Friday after having just lived long enough to see the end of the war.

I am sure I am missing a few more wonderful examples of the irony of the war. Some may even call it a divine hand or the like. I don't know what term to use but sometimes when you read and study this war things just seem to be inexplicable at times.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:45 am 

Some of the stuff that intrigues me, but are not necessarily Ironies, is what makes the study of the war so interesting.

It was such a polarizing event.

Why read a novel when there are events in history like the Amrican Civil War. You can't make this stuff up.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:03 am 
Koch46 wrote:
Why read a novel when there are events in history like the Amrican Civil War. You can't make this stuff up.

Affirmative. :x I wish I knew who in hell put Tom Brokaw in charge of deciding who "The Greatest Generation" was. The ACW generation and the great men & women in it, both in the North and South, were beyond a doubt "The Greatest Generation", NOT the WW II G.I. generation. My .02 cents...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:58 am 
Tom Brokaw was going to name it the "Second Greatest Generation" but they figured sales would be better the other way around.

Personally I think the Revolutionary Generation was the "Greatest Generation." :D

Washington, Hamilton, Franklin, Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Madison, Marshall, Hancock, Jay, Henry, and, in honor of our French allies Lafayette, and our Prussian allies von Steuben, and our Polish allies Pulaski!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:24 am 
Blake wrote:
Tom Brokaw was going to name it the "Second Greatest Generation" but they figured sales would be better the other way around. Personally I think the Revolutionary Generation was the "Greatest Generation." :D

Hmmm, I wonder what the generation of post-WWII Baby Boomers (to which I belong) will be called: "The 69th Greatest Generation" ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 am 
According to Wikipedia I can be part of either Generation X or a Millenial (born 1981).

I am going to choose Millenial as it makes me feel younger!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:23 pm 

I think the odyssey of Special Order 181 to be one of the oddest incidents of the war.

This topic made me think of Cornelius Ryan's "The Longest Day" where he examined minor incidents from D-Day and how odd they appeared with what was going on during the battle.

Cadet Kenneth Crist

Army of the Tennessee

Profile Send private message