American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Column question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:25 pm 

I know you are suppose to set the rules before you play...but what is the general rule for a column attack...the question is...if you cross a bridge..and the next hex is a non-town hex...can you attack the enemy in the adjacent hex.....or do you have to wait until the next turn so you can change formation and then attack...

Gen. John Dragan 3/3/2

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Column question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:54 am 

I don't believe there is any club rule restricting column meleeing. If the game allows it, it is all right to do it. But a lot of people like me find column melee ridiculous considing it is suppose to be road column. So you will need to negociate a house rule to cover it. Most people will agree to one even during the game as long as it is done before their is a problem.

Usual one I use is that if the only way to cross or enter terrain is in column then you can melee from column for that unit during the turn it uses column movement to enter or move through that terrain. This can be further modified if specific situations. If you are using Turn play where the unit does have the ability to change back to line once crossing a bridge then you can limit how far the unit can go after crossing and still use column melee. Some people might want to say no column melee in towns regardless since towns are a special situation where units tended to all get disrupted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 pm 

I think that we can add to what Gen Whitehead writes that an overrun should also always be allowed in column.

Apart from it, I Believe that it is more a question of not being able to walk 12 hexes on a road before attacking than just column melee.

But I also believe that the target should be taken into considération :
Imagine à 999-strong regiment walking on a road in a forest and bumping into the rear of an unattended lone gun or a depleted regiment with 10 privates left. Less than a minute would be necessary for the leading company to capture the target, with the company at the not even knowing the reason why their march is shortly halted. I see no reason in this case for a change of formation to line...
Therefore, I Will not argue if you attack me in column John :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:49 pm 

I normally specify use of a column melee house rule when looking for a game although if my opponent wishes to use the separate melee phase for the HPS games this is not as big an issue as that eliminates the Blitz Attack that made column melees so popular in the early days of the HPS games that caused many to go to a no column melee rule.

For Turn Based games without a seperate melee phase my standard house rule on infantry column melees.

Infantry in column can initiate a melee if.
1. It is on a ford/bridge hex.
2. It just crossed a ford/bridge hex and enters an enemy ZOC.

This allows you to melee to get across a defended creek/stream and it keeps you from setting up one hex back of the crossing and getting two free shots at the column before it can melee. So you can move up to the crossing, probably take some artillery or gun fire, cross the bridge/ford and change into line and maybe advance 1-2 hexes if you don't get D'd by the opportunity fire. If you cross a creek/stream that you can't see beyond the crossing hex without having enough MP to go into line as soon as you cross or continue in column after crossing you deserve to get shot to pieces.

I would also agree with Col. Chatain's observation that a remnant unit or a limbered gun that was run into by a column would be a legitimate target and would not complain about an opponent meleeing such a unit in column.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:41 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

There are too many opinions on what should and shouldn't be allowd, and the club rules are pretty specific on what is or isn't allowed. I've even had it presented once to me that units weren't allowed to advance at night.

There are no "house rules", there are the ACWGC rules. What opponents negotiate prior to their game is between them, but referring to them as "house rules" is misleading as it gives the impression that everyone follows them. Pointing out to your opponent that your last actions aren't prohibited by the ACWGC rules is a bit unsettling to them when they based their previous moves on that "house rule".

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 am 

I agree with what you are saying Gen Hebert as I often run into those who think that 'house rules' are a standard way of playing that everybody in the club goes by. If you read some of the posts from the past on house rule preferences then it would lead you to believe that whatever that poster was saying was the standard way of playing and that everybody in their right mind played that way. That gets reinforced if a new person in the club has their first opponent(s) playing with house rules. However, ACWGC Rule 5.4 specifically addresses house rules (and thus gives them their 'authorized' name) which I will repeat below:

5.4 House Rules. Many officers prefer specific ‘house rules’ when they play. All house rules are optional and must be agreed to ahead of time by both players. The Club does not require that any optional rules (either house rules or those provided within the games) be used.

To get back to Gen Dragan's question though, I have no idea since I seldom play with any house rules regardless of whether or not they are good ones. I'm not smart enough to keep up with different house rules and game options for every game that I have going. That means that I'm also not smart enough to answer your question. My wife can confirm that if necessary.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:44 am 

nsimms wrote:
I agree with what you are saying Gen Hebert as I often run into those who think that 'house rules' are a standard way of playing that everybody in the club goes by. If you read some of the posts from the past on house rule preferences then it would lead you to believe that whatever that poster was saying was the standard way of playing and that everybody in their right mind played that way. That gets reinforced if a new person in the club has their first opponent(s) playing with house rules. However, ACWGC Rule 5.4 specifically addresses house rules (and thus gives them their 'authorized' name) which I will repeat below:

5.4 House Rules. Many officers prefer specific ‘house rules’ when they play. All house rules are optional and must be agreed to ahead of time by both players. The Club does not require that any optional rules (either house rules or those provided within the games) be used.

To get back to Gen Dragan's question though, I have no idea since I seldom play with any house rules regardless of whether or not they are good ones. I'm not smart enough to keep up with different house rules and game options for every game that I have going. That means that I'm also not smart enough to answer your question. My wife can confirm that if necessary.

I agree..........I play too many games to keep track of special rules.
I play with the game engine as designed and all options on........except two.
If I play a battle with night turns........we agree before the game begins not to attack at all at night.
Although, I must admit I avoid multi day battles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:10 am 

Gentlemen:

This is a topic that surfaces so often that maybe you men can enhance this discussion so as to define the melee process in column to such a degree that it can become part of the rules as an advisory or suggested formula/opinion for play. Discussions like this help all of us improve play and prevents hard-feelings. Salute and thank you.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e