American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Computer Screen Size
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 pm 
Who is playing on what size screen and does it make a difference? I assume with a higher resolution you could see much more of the board on your screen if your playing with a larger screen but I am just curious.

I have a 20" screen that suits my needs. Over the weekend we were selling 27" LED screens and I know some people have computers hooked up to full TVs. If the resolution were great enough and the screen big enough I am curious how much of a single map you could view at once.

Post subject: Re: Computer Screen Size
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:23 pm 
I use a high resolution 27 inch and you can see a LOT more in my opinion.....I love it....I've had it for 2-3years now and hardly remember the old screens.....The only direct comparison was some spreadsheets I was doing for my work last year....I had to scroll on their computer....At home it did not fill half my screen....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
I normally have a 22 inch screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 it does really make you see alot more of the board than having a lower resolution. At the moment I have my computer hooked up to my 32inch tv with 1920x1080 resolution and you see so much of the board that you won't have to scroll here and there all the time to command your army it's great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm 
Now I have "size envy."

This must be what the average Yankees feel like all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 pm 
Well, you know what they say about everything TEXAS!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 pm 

One of my sacred luxuries in life is a very large computer screen. It's helps to 'map things out' in games when you can see several miles of hexes . . . Also makes stock and banking chores easier, when many windows can be open at once and you can watch them interact. Compared to a pad or laptop, scrolling is rare indeed.

V Corps/AOP/USA

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

I have a 24" with 1920 by 1200. This gives a great view. If you are going to get a new monitor get one that has the higher resolution. 1080 is the norm for monitors they are cheaper but the 1200 is big difference. Whether you have a 20 or 27", if they are 1080, you just see bigger hexes not more.

I had up to 3 monitors at one time, but they (tube) eventually failed and I am down to one.

General Pierre D.

5th Bde, IV Cavalry Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
ACWGC President 1997 - 2006, 2012
ACWGC Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16 am 

Picking monitors is a lot more complex than you think. Much depends on the distance you plan to view the monitor from. And, in my case, what distance my glasses allow me to focus at. Bigger isn't necessarily better. For example, TV type screens are designed for a certain viewing angle and distance because of their ppi. The 60 inch screen isn't necessarily better than the 50 inch screen because it may require you to view it from a longer distance. PPI or pixels per inch determine the actual detail within the screen not the overall screen resolution. This is also affected by viewing distance. It doesn't do any good to have a 1920x1200 screen if at the distance you view it you have to set Windows to use a larger font to see anything. I like a large screen with high resolution mostly because I keep a lot of windows open when I am working on the computer and this gives me enough surface to do this. But some older games have trouble with this since they run full screen at lower resolution.

I also have a second monitor which is handly for openning reference documents while I work on the main screen or in some games having Teamspeak or some other support program open. Unfortunately only some games can actually support this configuration. Also, these larger screens and dual monitor configurations require much more powerful video boards which can cost more than the monitor.

The main thing is do some research not just on the monitor you are considering but the ergonomics of it. Attaching a 70 inch HD TV screen to your computer sounds good until you find out you have to mount it across the room for it to be viewed properly. Also, don't forget their are other properties of a monitor that affect how easy on the eyes it is to stare at like contrast ratio, brightness, refresh rates, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 am 

Do you have any grandkids . . . ?

V Corps/AOP/USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:03 am 

DwightMcBride wrote:
Do you have any grandkids . . . ?

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:06 am 
We are waiting on our Daughter in law to drop her first pup.......Should be in the next few days......Then we will have our first Grandcritter......I'm mildly terrified......I'm gonna be a grandpa.....