American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm 

I have seen the movie "Lincoln" twice now. I found it to be a very good movie with only two bad scenes, both at the beginning of the film. I thought is was an error on Spielberg's part to start the movie with a combat sequence. It make an unfair comparison to "Saving Private Ryan" right off the bat, and is not as good a sequence since it does not appear to have been meant to compare to the beach landing.

The scene after that, with the soldiers and Lincoln, "seemed" unrealistic. I do not think that many people really liked the Gettysburg Address at the time. I thought it was only appreciated more after the war than at the time by most people.

Once past then it was excellent, except for one thing...

There is a shot of Grant and Lee leaving the McLean house. Grant is wearing a uniform jacket with stars on his shoulder straps and remarkably clean. I though Grant had been in a dirty unifrom from viewing the trenches that morning and was wearing a private's jacket.

Now, I know this is not something that the average viewer will know or care about, but when the scene started, I wondered how it would be presented and I was disappointed.

However, this is a small thing compared to a movie with really good performances by Daniel Day-Leiws, Tommy Lee Jones, Sally Field, Hal Holbrook, James Spader, Joseph Gordon-Levett, Bruce McGill and for me, the over-looked David Strathairn as William Seward. He has almost as much screen time as Day-Lewis (more than Tommy Lee Jones), but will probably not be conisdered for an award.

I find Seward a fascinating historical figure.

Cadet Kenneth Crist

Army of the Tennessee

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 am 

I think the beginning of the movie was one of those movie contrived scenes to put the rest of the movie in context for the viewer. Trying to summarize four years of war and establish the current situation is rather difficult. Probably not the best handling of.

Profile Send private message