American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Overland Map
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:02 pm 

has anyone noticed the difference between the Fredericksburg / Chancellorsville area map of "Overland" and "Chancellorsville". The differences are huge in the area where the 1863 battles were fought.

does the new map in "Overland" make the "Cville" map obsolete?

can we expect a updated map for the "Cville" game?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Overland Map
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:26 pm 

The two maps are independent of each other, two separately completed projects. Even maps from back in the day did not agree with each other. I noticed that the Peninsula maps don't jive much with that part of Overland, either. I put a lot of work into the Cold Harbor area, but I have no control over the Peninsula map.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:52 pm 

J. Ferry wrote:
The two maps are independent of each other, two separately completed projects. Even maps from back in the day did not agree with each other. I noticed that the Peninsula maps don't jive much with that part of Overland, either. I put a lot of work into the Cold Harbor area, but I have no control over the Peninsula map.

I realize the maps are independent of each other. One would think that two "games" with the same scale, designed by the same company, would have maps that were similar. If the older map was incorrect..........thats fine.
"Tiller Games" should offer a new map for their older games in the form of an update.

Seems odd to me that a new project like "Overland" would not leverage the existing maps of Cville and Penninsular.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:30 pm 
Actually, since the OOBs are not locked, you should just be able to port the Chancellorsville OOB and scenarios over to Overland.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:05 pm 

cperleberg wrote:
Actually, since the OOBs are not locked, you should just be able to port the Chancellorsville OOB and scenarios over to Overland.

I would think you would want to do it the other way around..........assuming the "new" Overland maps are correct and the older Cville/Peninsula maps are not.

If I were doing it (and if I knew what the hell I was doing...lol). I would just want updates matching the "Overland" maps for both Peninsula and Chancelorsville.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 pm 

If you consider other projects- take Panzer Campaigns as an example -where the older Kharkov '42 map did not match up exactly to the Kursk '43 map where they bother overlapped; and then extend things on to the newer Kharkov '43 maps which isn't an exact duplication of the Kharkov '42 map ; and I think probably there are some overlap differences with all of those and Moscow '42 (which does not use the same exact map as Moscow '41)... I imagine that Minsk '44 has some differences with Smolensk '41 ( in this case it can be watercourse hexsides, and elevation settings - where the elevation settings from one map don't entirely jibe with a prior map - infrastructure elements like roads can also be maybe a hex or so off between maps every now and then.

My take on it, from observation across a range of series published, is that map-making is going to be the prerogative of the individual lead scenario designers (and has been prior to now at any rate.). That isn't a fault, or even necessarily inaccurate, as John is alluding to I think -but just points to what sort of empowerment that is given to individual lead scenario designers on any given project.

Sometimes too if say a product had a map that looked like it was for another title- might indicate incidents where someone else might have been toying wit ha project, but ultimately handed it over over a period of time. I am not saying that is the case with Overland -but am aware of situations like that arising in the SB series (just be reading through the designer notes available in the games themselves.).