American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 am 

Redlegger wrote:
I would say it all depends on the size and members playing.

I am currently involved in a 2x2 where the battle designed, (and may I say excellently by Gen. Blake), is perfect for a 2x2.
I am also involved in a 3x2, (once again a battle excellently designed by Gen. Blake), that is well suited for at least the 3 side, (three wings).

We have good members on both sides, (though the stubborn Acorn heads of the CSA still refuse to accept the inevitability of another Glorious Union victory), and the games are moving nicely along.

I would not mind a large 4x4 and with the current crew of MPs that I am forming would like to try that.
Larger than that though and I too worry that it would become too delayed.

Still, patience is a virtue.

All in all it depends on who is involved.

Respectfully

Acorn Heads? :) Well I like motivation, even military science related ones... :D

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 am 

J. Ferry wrote:
Are we, as middle-aged white men on the forum, permitted to say "OMG!!!"""???
OMG!!! Jim! I have such fond memories of SPI's Eastern Front! I have been tempted to get Grigsby's game, but I fear it would pull me in and I would never play anything else, ever.
Guys, consider your role in the Monster scenario like it was a time-share. You could sell it to someone else when you got tired--or died. Well, not sell it actually, but maybe give it away with some fanfare. What ever.
OMG! Eastern Front...
J Ferry aka Zhukov
2Lt 2/20th Guards Mechanized Korps

Grisby's version isn't up to the calibre of SPI's. Not really sure why but I played Eastern Front many times even if I had to do it solitare. Grisby's I tried. Against the computer which is a failure. AI not good enough to make it work unless you give it plenty of bonuses. Against my brother, just didn't do a good job of reproducing the feel of WW II in the East as SPI's did.

Had a friend that got SPI's War in the West. We laid out the maps and some of the at start units. And decided we wouldn't live long enough to finish a game. I am not sure he ever played a game of it. My brother had a friend who was with the military at the Penagon that also got War in the West. My brother defeated the Germans in Poland ending the war rather early. Don't think they ever played the game again either. :oops:

I was a little surprised Grisby's game wasn't better than it was. He did an excellent job in his "War in the Pacific" which I highly recommend to those without a life. :D These type games aren't really suitable to PBEM. They either have to use a time period to long for reasonable tactical/operational simulation which I think was WiE problem or they have to use such a short period, one day in the case of WiP, that the game can't be finished if you can't do multiple turns at one sitting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:46 am 

Now that you say Grigsby is not that great, I will use that as sour grapes to not get the game.
With SPI, since I am a map guy, I drew my own maps of the total War In Europe scene, from France to the Urals and Murmansk to the Sahara, which I still have someplace. The irony is, we had to spread out those maps back in the day when we probably had a smaller house, and a few rug-rats running around, and now with all this space and no crayon-wielding offspring around, we play the same games on a lap-top on a TV tray!
JD Ferry
2lt 2/20th Corps
(Still looking for MP rebs, y'all)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

I recently played a 5 on 5 MP game and it went very well. My team had a European, 2 Eat Coast, One West coast and an Australian. 3 Continents of time differences. We completed it in a couple of months about 30 turns.

The key to it's success was the commitment of individuals to play the turn as soon as possible. We did have some delay now and then but the average was about 3 days a turn and sometime 2.

If you get everyone to agree to complete a turn, 1 day 2 days etc., stick to it it will work great. If one member of the team takes a week to do his turn it will be a trying affair unless that is what is expected. Get your expectations of turns time frame right off the bat. Don't assume.

General Pierre D.

5th Bde, IV Cavalry Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
ACWGC President 1997 - 2006, 2012
ACWGC Forum Administrator