American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm 
Anyone confused as to why I say this should read

http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18619

"This thread will be used for Cabinet Press releases and information for the Membership.

Please read at your pleasure. Please do not respond to this thread they will be removed. Create another topic if you want to do so."

- Pierre

Having a continuing but non-interactive thread for all Cabinet Announcements is not a very good idea. Just in order to reply here I had to first open a second window, copy the url, paste it here, then go back and copy the text, paste it here, and then add my own statement below the statement above.

Having topics on individual threads allows interaction and discussion on a much more organized level. Adding indefinitely to a singular thread only adds clutter and will lead to mass confusion later on when people are trying to quote different posts in multiple threads.

One topic - One thread.

Not very difficult.

Otherwise why not just put every topic in the entire Club in one thread and label it "ACWGC POSTS".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm 

I agree with Blake. Perhaps we both are misunderstanding your intent, but this does not seem like a very good idea to me.

To be able to interact and discuss issues, anouncements, information etc. on a single, individual thread makes perfect sense.

Please reconsider this. One topic, one thread.

Deano

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:52 pm 

Actually I think it does make sense. The last thing I think we need to see is this forum turned into political debating forum rather then concentrating on discussing the games or the war itself.

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 pm 

General Nelms {salute}

What if the Cabinet Press announces that Joe Meyer has been reelected as CoA? Don't you think people can comment on that without making a political debating society? Maybe I have misplaced faith in the general membership of the club.

We should be able to discuss things of interest or importance. I don't think it makes sense for the club to make it difficult for the members to express their points of view.

Deano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 am 

What is the problem? Blake brought forth the post about Gen Meyer into another thread and this has elicited comments about the Cabinet Press being closed to comment.

So, the Cabinet Press is WORKING, very well. It keeps all cabinet press posts in one place. easy to find, easy to read and easy to start a new thread on any comment.

The forum software lends itself very well to long protracted threads, using the "First unread post" button.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 am 
Ernie Sands wrote:
What is the problem? Blake brought forth the post about Gen Meyer into another thread and this has elicited comments about the Cabinet Press being closed to comment.

Oh great... I am back to being the Cabinet Spokesman :mrgreen:

Ernie's right - it does work if you put it like that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

There is a big misunderstanding here and before everyone goes into hissy fits and the world comes to an end I would like to clarify things. There are always two sides to a story and you should always seek both sides reasons before coming to judgements. My wisdom thought for today.

My intent is to create a Cabinet Press Release thread which would be an ongoing post about what the Cabinet is doing. I think most of you are interested in that.

If you understand what a Press Release is, it is just a release of info. That is the reason of no comments to the post. Basically I changed the Cabinet info thread to Cabinet Press Release.

If someone desires to talk about the press release then start a thread. Very easy for most of you to do.

The goal of the Press release thread is to provide an on-going history of what is going on in the Cabinet without the clutter of banter.

It will be a sticky and usually close to the top for quick review.

There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between an announcement and a Press release.

In regards to the Meyer announcement it could have stayed as a post with all the comments welcomed.

So here is the plan, Press release post for info on what the Cabinet is doing with no responses allowed. From info on the press release page members may start another post to discuss any press releases. Not difficult, easy to understand and no stepping on anyone's Clubs rights.

I hope it makes sense now. Geez.

General Pierre D.

5th Bde, IV Cavalry Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
ACWGC President 1997 - 2006, 2012
ACWGC Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 am 
So really what you are conceding is that the Cabinet will release info into a continuing thread. I will then copy and paste each item into a separate thread for us to all discuss.

Right...

That makes perfect sense.

I spent a good deal of time pondering this and I honestly can't figure out what in the world that solves.

But... blah... alright.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 am 

Blake wrote:
So really what you are conceding is that the Cabinet will release info into a continuing thread. I will then copy and paste each item into a separate thread for us to all discuss.

Right...

That makes perfect sense.

I spent a good deal of time pondering this and I honestly can't figure out what in the world that solves.

But... blah... alright.

Methinks that it solves a MYRIAD of topics thrown together in a hodgepodge of posts that would take too much time and effort to make sense of any one topic and discussion.

In the manner stated by Pierre, an individual MAY take any one topic, mentioned in the Cabinet THINGY and expound on it and there would be ONE thread made.

Then, anyone may start ANOTHER thread on another topic and that could be discussed.

In that manner, threads are made for individual topics and the discussion would be easier to follow.

My 2 cents.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:24 am 

Ernie Sands wrote:
In the manner stated by Pierre, an individual MAY take any one topic, mentioned in the Cabinet THINGY and expound on it and there would be ONE thread made.

True Dat :lol: :lol: :lol: