American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 pm 

Under Club Rule 3.3.4.3, Campaigning, this thread is provided for Presidential Election Candidate, General Mark Nelms.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:23 am 

My name is General Mark Nelms and I would like to be the next American Civil War Gaming Club President. Let me tell you about my history with the club.
I enlisted in the Union Army sometime in December, 2000 and finished my first game against a Confederate officer in early January, 2001. I worked my way up from brigade commander to Corps Commander in the Army of the Ohio and then transferred to become Army Commander of the Army of the James. I was then asked to become Union Commander of the Armies by the Cabinet after the tumultuous resignation of my predecessor, which required me to make some tough and important decisions at the time. I have also served two terms as Union representative on the Club Cabinet ending just last year. For a period I kept a database of all the game results and maintained a web page where monthly I would post a variety of reports for each of the armies (Reb and Yank) and an analysis of the won-loss records of all the scenarios. When our record keeper resigned from the club and took down his database without warning my database had the records and I kept all the game records for the club until Don Adams built the wonderful system we use today. Currently I command a brigade in the Army of the Cumberland.
My philosophy as President is to serve as a “Chairman of the Board,” maintaining an open, fully vested democratic approach to all matters. My job would be to take any ideas/suggestions from the membership or Cabinet members and make sure they are presented to the entire Cabinet in an organized and logical fashion, where they would be freely discussed and decided upon. I would also serve as the final arbitrator to settle any tie votes.
I would make it a point to promote the club wherever and whenever possible to the best of my ability. I consider it an honor to be a member of this club and I’m not afraid to use my name in its service and would welcome any “joshing” I would take as an opportunity to introduce folks to our hobby and club. I would also work with the Cabinet members to make sure that all members are treated respectfully and that they treat others respectfully also. I would have an open door policy so that prospective and current members could contact me at any time with problems/questions that they may have and, if I don’t have the answer, then I’ll find it. I would like to work to help retain members and conduct exit polling with members who do leave to find out the reasons they left, what they liked and so on. Retention of membership is very important and the future of the Club.
I would also like to sponsor some discussions on the forum on a regular basis discussing the battles and men who fought in this great conflict. In my earlier days it seemed like we had many more of these discussions than we do now and I’d like to see them return. The membership has changed enough I think we could have some fresh discussions along these lines, especially as the 150th anniversary of these events pass. Beyond this I do not have any sweeping changes in mind as I think the club is in good shape and will work to make sure it stays that way while trying to improve it where I can with the underlying idea of making this club more fun and enjoyable always in the forefront.
I hope my experience and what I’ve accomplished over my years of service to the club will help you decide to give me your support in the upcoming election. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Thanks for your willingness to run for the office of President, sir!

Touching a bit on what you said...

Being a long-time veteran in the Club what do you think, when you look around the Club, is working well? And what do you think we can improve on as a Club?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm 

Blake wrote:
Thanks for your willingness to run for the office of President, sir!

Touching a bit on what you said...

Being a long-time veteran in the Club what do you think, when you look around the Club, is working well? And what do you think we can improve on as a Club?

Well I think the club if functioning well as an organization that provides the framework for it's members to play all the various titles we support and gives us all an opportunity to role play as little or as much as we desire. There always seems to be members willing to step up and fill the necessary roles needed to keep it functioning which speaks well for the dedication that the club gets. I would like to see us do more to retain or attract new members, not only to insure our continued future but to expose more people to the fun that this club provides while playing. I think if more folks realized how many long lasting e-relationships have developed over the years they would be looking to join our merry band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:01 pm 

Sir

As Blake stated..thank you for running..speaks highly of your commitment to the club....
I have a question for you and Gen Weir..which I will post in his thread....

I hear all about the inner turmoil going on between the Club President and his elected staff......
my question is will you let this become transparent and let the entire club know whats going on.....what can you do to alleviate this conflict
thanks

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:11 am 

TMiller wrote:
Sir

As Blake stated..thank you for running..speaks highly of your commitment to the club....

I hear all about the inner turmoil going on between the Club President and his elected staff......
my question is will you let this become transparent and let the entire club know whats going on.....what can you do to alleviate this conflict
thanks

Well, Gen Miller, you must have a lot of inside knowledge of the inner workings of the various cabinet members. How do you come about having this knowledge or are you just making some assumptions that you have no actual knowledge of? How have you obtained all the knowledge?

And why should any discussions among the cabinet members be of any concern to you?

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am 

Gen Sands....

My assumption and educated guess. When a distinguished gentleman such as Pierre resigns early in his term then there might be something amiss. Also if you read some of the posts in the M/D tavern..you may come to that conclusion also.

No I dont have any inside information nor do I go and question cabinet members to try to find any squables or disputes.....not my MO

and I take offensive to your questioning of that

I enjoy the gaming and the bantering..what I dont like is the inside politics of a few to shape the club in their image and not the good for the whole....and I and I am sure the masses would like to know who the few are...
What happens in the cabinet is my concern as well as all members of the club.

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am 

Sorry you took offense, but it appeared that you had some agenda in mind.

I do read the posts in the MDT and I did not infer the same thing as you did.

Good thing we can cut 'n paste. :D

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 pm 

Gen Sands
"Ernie"

By no means am I rabble rouser even though us Reb are often accused of it 8)
It was perceived wrong due to my way of putting things in writing....bad habit of mind :roll:
what I was leading to.....he is willing to put CSA/USA affiliation to the side and
lead the club in whats best for the entire membership....

and my other point was....I think its important for the club to know where exactly our elected leaders stand on all matters.....

by no means am I trying to start trouble.....as my father-in-law said...I am not smart enough to do that... :lol:

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 pm 

Quote:
he is willing to put CSA/USA affiliation to the side and
lead the club in whats best for the entire membership....

and my other point was....I think its important for the club to know where exactly our elected leaders stand on all matters.....

Good points. :D

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm 

TMiller wrote:
Sir

thanks

I'll leave it up to Pierre whether he wants to elaborate any more on his decision. I'm not a current member of the Cabinet and have no more knowledge then you do of what might or might not have been happening. As far as my management style I intend to act as the chairman of the group, setting the agenda and keeping the discussion focused on the topic at hand and if necessary having the final say.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm 
Mark,

What is your opinion on one side or the other creating rules that are contradictory to standing Club Rules? Should each side be allowed separate rules or should we all be governed in the same manner?

Thanks for your previous answer on the last question. Well spoken.

(yes I am repeating myself alot on the two posts! but yall have good answers thus far!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am 

A question for you Mark please :

this may be not well interpreted, so please forgive me, I am not trying to hurt anybody and English is not my mother tongue, so I may be rude with no design to be.

this being said, I have joined the club recently (dec 2011), coming from a French wargaming club (where I was one administrator) because I had trouble finding opponent there. My first priority here is gaming and finding opponents but when I compare the 2 clubs, I feel that politics has a much bigger part here than in my previous club and this concerns me a bit.

To tell you the truth, I have read once the club rules and that's it, but I can see endless talks about rule 2.1.5.16.1.64.256.2 to see if it is properly written or not. I personally don't care. And I am not the only one, I have had an argument recently with one of my opponent about 2 regiments's move and told him he shouldn't have done it according to the club rules. though a high rank officer, he confessed to me he had never read them ...

But I care when I see 2 of my brigade commanders (friendly and good players) having trouble to find an opponent
I care when I see that there is a club wide tournament running (RBCT) since last August and that in 9 months, only 17 different players from one side (18 from the other side) have participated so far. I think it is very low considering the number of active members. the commitment is not big though (some battles proposed last less than 10 turns).

I know that real life has priority and command positions take a LOT of personal time but 10 turns of a small battle is a very small commitment over a period of 2 months and I am puzzled to see that among the Cabinet or the Army commanders less than 1/3 of these officers have participated so far
again , no misinterpretation please, I am not accusing anyone, , I am just surprised.
My concern as a new member is rather to understand if there is some sort of boredom for the game among the club leaders who may have to spend more time on the club rules than gaming ?

Any thought on all this ?
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm 
General Nelms,
Mark,

Good afternoon, Sir! Thank you for the opportunity to ask some questions! <salute>

1) Which is of greater significance to you personally? That you are an ACWGC Member or your long term affiliation to the Union Army within the ACWGC?

2) Do you see any differences in operation and philosophy between the two military groups (USA & CSA) within the ACWGC? If there are any differences, how would you define them and how do you feel they impact the ACWGC as a whole?

3) If elected as the representative head of the ACWGC... would you be willing to switch your affiliation from the Union Army to the Confederate Army as a show of your prioritizing the interests of the ACWGC as a whole... rather than just serving a specific military group as you have in the past?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:04 pm 

Blake wrote:
Mark,

What is your opinion on one side or the other creating rules that are contradictory to standing Club Rules? Should each side be allowed separate rules or should we all be governed in the same manner?

Thanks for your previous answer on the last question. Well spoken.

(yes I am repeating myself alot on the two posts! but yall have good answers thus far!)

The club rule has rules and I would expect both sides to abide by them. If one army of the other wanted a rule change then they would need to go to the Cabinet with their proposal and work through the system for any change they desire rather then changing them arbitrarily. As too whether each side should or could have separate rules I'd have to hear why either side thought they should be different, but then again it would need to be something that would be proposed through the Cabinet.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next