American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm 

Under Club Rule 3.3.4.3, Campaigning, this thread is provided for Presidential Election Candidate, General Bob Weir.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 pm 

Members of the ACWGC,

My name is General R.A. "Bob" Weir and I am running for the position of ACWGC President. For those that do not know me let me take a moment to tell a bit about myself and my involvement in the club since becoming a member in September of 2002. Like a few of you I’m on the top side of 50, married, a mortgage and seemingly more stuff to do than fits into a 24 hour day. I’ve had an interest in the American Civil War for as long as I can remember and growing up in Maryland I had plenty of access to the battlefields and related history. In my teens I developed an interest in war games and have a fair collection of strategy games and acw miniatures, about 1998 I started playing games on the computer and then a few years later found the ACWGC with all the actual real live opponents one could handle and I was hooked.

Since 2000 I’ve been self employed in a screen printing and embroidery shop. We are a small family owned shop, most of our work is local business’s and schools and the occasional TillerCon. Prior to that I spent twenty plus years in the bottled water business in various supervisory and management positions.

My time in the club started at the Army of Alabama as a brigade commander, in 2005 I moved to division command and then Chief of Staff for that army, we didn’t have official CoS positions at the time and when I was later elected CSA Cabinet Secretary I worked to make those positions recognized. After doing a short stint as Western Theater CoS I moved east to the Army of Georgia and became CSA Eastern Theater Commander, which I held for 4 years, soon after becoming ETC I was elected CSA Cabinet Secretary where I served two terms. I also own and operate the CSA Medal Works and Foundry LLC, my imaginary industrial complex and textile mill just outside Lynchburg Virginia, where I have attempted to carry on the fine work started by AoA’s past Army Commander General Gray. The Works have created some of the finest medals, ribbons and flags for the CSA war effort. Of course I joined this club to play the games and still tend to have 4 to 6 on going battles, lately playing more multiplayer games.

Having spent sometime in positions within the club where I’ve had to work closely with a variety of folks, with different personalities and backgrounds, I have always attempted to foster an environment of cooperation by utilizing an understanding of how to create consensus through compromise and empathy of other’s points of view.
While I tend to have a, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it demeanor, I am also open to improved methods and innovations. If elected I look forward to working with the cabinet and membership in a continuing effort to make this club a place where all members can enjoy and participate to the extent that they wish.

I invite any questions or concerns you may have.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:28 pm 
Thanks for your willingness to run for the office of President, sir!

Touching a bit on what you said...

Being a long-time veteran in the Club what do you think, when you look around the Club, is working well? And what do you think we can improve on as a Club?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 am 

For the most part I think the club operates remarkably well, we have a continually evolving core of dedicated members that give of their time and talent to keep army and informational web sites updated, forums operating and membership records updated as well as the folks in the various command structures that tie the whole thing together. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of volunteer time and effort and even treasure that is provided in maintaining the club, it’s that dedication that can not be mandated but is given freely for the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction that has kept the club going for so long.

Maintaining the club as a place where the members can feel comfortable and enjoy being involved, whether it’s playing the games, discussing the history, doing some role playing or going even further as mentioned above is I feel the role of the cabinet.

Much like my opponent Mark, I see the president as the cabinet chairman and to that end I would endeavor to implement a simple system of procedure for the conducting of day to day business within the cabinet. I think this would improve cooperation and efficiency within the cabinet. I also would maintain a monthly or quarterly report to the membership and an open door policy to respond to membership concerns.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:01 pm 

Sir

As Blake stated..thank you for running..speaks highly of your commitment to the club....
I have a question for you and Gen Nelms..which I will post in his thread....

I hear all about the inner turmoil going on between the Club President and his elected staff......
my question is will you let this become transparent and let the entire club know whats going on.....what can you do to alleviate this conflict
thanks

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 pm 

Whatever situation brought about Gen. Desruisseaux’s resignation is certainly between him and whoever/whatever was the cause of his stated ‘loss of patience’, as I am not currently a member of the cabinet and not privy to the particulars any comment I make would be from a point of ignorance.

As I see it the situation has not effected the operation of the club. Those involved have not seen reason to make it public, therefore it’s strictly a personal matter which has been resolved.

The rules of the club do an excellent job of working through such situations;

3.3.5.1 If a vacancy occurs in a Cabinet Secretary seat—either through voluntary resignation or through removal by vote of the Cabinet—the Club President will appoint an interim replacement for the removed member to serve as Interim until a special election can be held. If fewer than three months remain in the unfulfilled term, the interim replacement can retain the seat until the next regular election.

3.4 Grievances. If a club member has a grievance against another member he should first remember that we are portraying gentlemen, in an era of chivalry. Grievances should be worked out between or among the members involved, privately. If they cannot resolve the matter themselves, they may appeal to their superior officers for assistance. (Refer to Section 5.2 for specific rules pertaining to resolving game conflicts.) If they cannot reach an agreement in this manner, the matter may be brought to the attention of the Club President for resolution. The Club President may, at his option, involve the Cabinet in resolving the conflict. (At all times, these discussions should be private and the grievances are not to be carried out in open forums.)

We are now in the process of electing a new president and the cabinet will once again operate with a full complement of officers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 am 

TMiller wrote:
Sir

As Blake stated..thank you for running..speaks highly of your commitment to the club....
I have a question for you and Gen Nelms..which I will post in his thread....

I hear all about the inner turmoil going on between the Club President and his elected staff......
my question is will you let this become transparent and let the entire club know whats going on.....what can you do to alleviate this conflict
thanks

Well, Gen Miller, you must have a lot of inside knowledge of the inner workings of the various cabinet members. How do you come about having this knowledge or are you just making some assumptions that you have no actual knowledge of? How have you obtained all the knowledge?

And why should any discussions among the cabinet members be of any concern to you?

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 am 

Gen Sands....

My assumption and educated guess. When a distinguished gentleman such as Pierre resigns early in his term then there might be something amiss. Also if you read some of the posts in the M/D tavern..you may come to that conclusion also.

No I dont have any inside information nor do I go and question cabinet members to try to find any squables or disputes.....not my MO

and I take offensive to your questioning of that

I enjoy the gaming and the bantering..what I dont like is the inside politics of a few to shape the club in their image and not the good for the whole....and I and I am sure the masses would like to know who the few are...
What happens in the cabinet is my concern as well as all members of the club.

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 am 

Sorry you took offense, but it appeared that you had some agenda in mind.

I do read the posts in the MDT and I did not infer the same thing as you did.

Good thing we can cut 'n paste. :D

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:15 pm 
Bob,

What is your opinion on one side or the other creating rules that are contradictory to standing Club Rules? Should each side be allowed separate rules or should we all be governed in the same manner?

Thanks for your previous answer on the last question. Well spoken.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm 

Gen Sands
"Ernie"

By no means am I rabble rouser even though us Reb are often accused of it 8)
It was perceived wrong due to my way of putting things in writing....bad habit of mind :roll:
what I was leading to.....he is willing to put CSA/USA affiliation to the side and
lead the club in whats best for the entire membership....

and my other point was....I think its important for the club to know where exactly our elected leaders stand on all matters.....

by no means am I trying to start trouble.....as my father-in-law said...I am not smart enough to do that... :lol:

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 pm 

Quote:
he is willing to put CSA/USA affiliation to the side and

and my other point was....I think its important for the club to know where exactly our elected leaders stand on all matters.....

Good points. :D

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:20 am 

A question for you Bob please :

this may be not well interpreted, so please forgive me, I am not trying to hurt anybody and English is not my mother tongue, so I may be rude with no design to be.

this being said, I have joined the club recently (dec 2011), coming from a French wargaming club (where I was one administrator) because I had trouble finding opponent there. My first priority here is gaming and finding opponents but when I compare the 2 clubs, I feel that politics has a much bigger part here than in my previous club and this concerns me a bit.

To tell you the truth, I have read once the club rules and that's it, but I can see endless talks about rule 2.1.5.16.1.64.256.2 to see if it is properly written or not. I personally don't care. And I am not the only one, I have had an argument recently with one of my opponent about 2 regiments's move and told him he shouldn't have done it according to the club rules. though a high rank officer, he confessed to me he had never read them ...

But I care when I see 2 of my brigade commanders (friendly and good players) having trouble to find an opponent
I care when I see that there is a club wide tournament running (RBCT) since last August and that in 9 months, only 17 different players from one side (18 from the other side) have participated so far. I think it is very low considering the number of active members. the commitment is not big though (some battles proposed last less than 10 turns).

I know that real life has priority and command positions take a LOT of personal time but 10 turns of a small battle is a very small commitment over a period of 2 months and I am puzzled to see that among the Cabinet or the Army commanders less than 1/3 of these officers have participated so far
again , no misinterpretation please, I am not accusing anyone, , I am just surprised.
My concern as a new member is rather to understand if there is some sort of boredom for the game among the club leaders who may have to spend more time on the club rules than gaming ?

Any thought on all this ?
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:33 pm 
General Weir,
Bob,

I am pleased to see you running for ACWGC President! Is your shop selling "General Weir for President" hats and shirts? :wink: <salute>

I asked the following questions of General Mark Nelms and so it is only fair I present you with the same questions.

1) Which is of greater significance to you personally? That you are an ACWGC Member or your long term affiliation to the Confederate Army within the ACWGC?

2) Do you see any differences in operation and philosophy between the two military groups (USA & CSA) within the ACWGC? If there are any differences, how would you define them and how do you feel they impact the ACWGC as a whole?

3) If elected as the representative head of the ACWGC... would you be willing to switch your affiliation from the Confederate Army to the Union Army as a show of your prioritizing the interests of the ACWGC as a whole... rather than just serving a specific military group as you have in the past?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 am 

Quote:
what I was leading to.....he is willing to put CSA/USA affiliation to the side and

LTG Miller,

It has been my experance that those of us who have served in cabinet positions go into the job with the well being of the entire club as a motivating factor, having spent four years in the cabinet and working with 8 or 9 different people as personnel changed over those years I can’t say any of them didn’t have the clubs well being forefront in their mind...we didn’t always agree about what was best or how to go about it, at times I was in agreement with USA cabinet members and other times cCSA members, sometimes both, I took each issue at it's own merit and used my judgment. There was never any rivalry between union or confederate cabinet members, several of the current cabinet members are friends and I have battles going with two USA and one CSA member.

I consider the "sides" of the club like two sports teams, you can't very well have a game without two opposing sides and you may “believe” your team is the best but in the end it’s the love of the sport that keeps you playing not the team.

Quote:
1) Which is of greater significance to you personally? That you are an ACWGC Member or your long term affiliation to the Confederate Army within the ACWGC?

2) Do you see any differences in operation and philosophy between the two military groups (USA & CSA) within the ACWGC? If there are any differences, how would you define them and how do you feel they impact the ACWGC as a whole?

3) If elected as the representative head of the ACWGC... would you be willing to switch your affiliation from the Confederate Army to the Union Army as a show of your prioritizing the interests of the ACWGC as a whole... rather than just serving a specific military group as you have in the past?

G. Hulinsky,

1.) I'm a member of the ACWGC, a III Corps commander in the AoG, a past officer in the AoA....have fond memories of my first command. All at the sametime.

2.) Like any two groups of individuals there are sure to be minor differences in how the two sides go about their business, yet both are still working under the same framework of club rules. Unlike some folks I have not been a member of both sides so my knowledge of the inner workings of the union side isn’t as familiar as the confederate side, perhaps someone else who has been on both could shed more light on the differences.

3.) I'm sorry but I don’t see the point of this question, if I choose to run for cabinet president it must mean I’m interested in working for the whole club, of what benefit could I gain for one side or the other as president...Confederate ice cream Tuesday....or half points for union victories?
If you can think of any please post them and if elected I'll do my best to implement rules to not allow them.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next