American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Request for Overland
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:35 pm 
Hey John Ferry -

Is it possible to ever do an update on Overland that would include a larger set of leader pictures? I only ask because the OOBs are open to edit but the leader pics are all set in stone. Unless I am mistaken. It would be fun to edit a scenario and include, for instance, a what if scenario with the Army of Tennessee (or part of it) heading east in 1864 or having Johnston join Lee in 1865.

Just thinking out loud.

Post subject: Re: Request for Overland
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:21 pm 

Every time I asked for more leaders I was afraid they were going to take away my birthday or somethin' There are almost 500!
Don't know that we are going to ask for any more. With all the other games, probably all the folks you'd ask for are featured in one or the other games, like Atlanta, Vicksburg, etc. The leader file could conceivably have a thousand pics in it some day when things are all opened up to private editing, but no clue on when that would ever be.
John
2lt 2/20Corps

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:38 pm 
Thanks John!

I have another question if you don't mind.

How is it you became so intertwined with Overland but you were never in the Club until it was released? Were you previously in the Club and left or is this your first go around? I am just curious is all. Your participation in the HPS games, and in the Club, are most welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:03 pm 

Excellent question, Blake, as I always characterize a question for which I have a ready answer:
I made a conscious decision to not join any of the clubs until the game was out, so as not to be influenced by the widely varying opinions of what the game should be. I am more than glad now to be involved, and to listen, and I must say I am impressed by the active workings and great interest in the ACWGC, as well as all the other clubs. The disadvantage of not having joined sooner is that almost everybody in the club can kick my inexperienced butt on the cyber battlefield!
J Ferry
Maj 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:28 am 

If the OOB files are editable in a title, then if you follow the info at Ken Miller's fine site- then basically, yes you can add in leader portraits -to your heart's content - provided you are willing to edit the OOB files and point to the correct slot on the file.

In fact, if I am not mistaken Ian Leask is doing exactly that with his Ren mod. It really doesn't make any difference if it is a different engine -as the key factor is - is the oob file editable. The OOB file determines what image you are going to call up - Ian's work is a good example - in that here is a guy who has decided to link multiple nationalities to his unit portrait images ... and by so doing is using a huge number of slots - iirc - he has written something like 900 or so on some of his posts -- which effectively means that the graphic bmp files are limited horizontally, but *not* vertically... of course it will be up to the freelancer modder type to keep track of his/her own work at that point.