American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 pm 

I couldn't resist a peek, as I've been reading up with Rhea and others on the campaign.
I'm curious how the different pdt versions have played out. I'm guessing the 30 minute lower firepower version is better for long campaigns.

I notice the wilderness2 oob has my Vermont Brigade and others 5 rated to give the Army of the Potomac better morale than in the other oobs. Now, to find a Reb to play against that army!...LoL

I think even the lousy AoP of other oobs has a chance, thanks to numbers.

Why are all of Stuart's rebel cavalry armed with the C Carbine, the generic breach loading carbine most Union cavalry also use? This does not represent the firepower edge enjoyed by Union cavalry. (Not even counting if you play with firepower morale effect.)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm 

Thanks for your post!
Re: Cavalry weapons, you may have missed that Custer's entire brigade, and a few other cav rgts here and there, are armed with the Spencer Carbine, a special add-on just for Overland. By now, Confederate cavalry just about all had some form of breechloading carbine, whether captured or made south of the Mason-Dixon. None took metallic cartridges because of the technical and materiel challenges, but pieces like the Sharps carbine were in good supply, as long as they could keep on capturing Yankee cavalrymen!
You are the first to comment on Wilderness2.oob. Although it is not used much in the scenarios, it is there for the modders amongst us.
J Ferry
Maj 2/20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 pm 

"By now, Confederate cavalry just about all had some form of breechloading carbine, whether captured or made south of the Mason-Dixon."

Longacre, Lee's Cavalrymen, pp.38-40 disagrees. On page 40 he states, "Carbine toting Confederates in the main theater of operation were mostly armed with muzzle-loaders..."

Only Rosser's Brigade were "mostly" armed with breachloaders, as Union weapons were easier to capture in the Valley, where they had been stationed. The 5000 or so breechloaders manufactured in Richmond were of little help as there quality was so shabby as to draw negative comment from R.E. Lee.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:17 pm 

Bottom line, when you look at the arms for Confederate cavalry, it says "Carbine."
Period. There is not a "breechloading carbine" or a "muzzle loading carbine" to choose between. As far as Mr. Longacre is concerned, he is entitled to disagree. :wink:

J Ferry
Overland co-designer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:06 pm 

There are also Rifles and Muskets and Shotguns, oh my to choose from.

Giving A rated Reb cav the same weapons as most C rated Union cav does not simulate the firepower superiority the north had. By 1864, the Reb cav, for various reasons was not superior to the Union cav at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:58 pm 

The best I could do is to use "mixed arms" with the firepower of a rifled musket but the range of a carbine.
I would not replace the carbine across the board--perhaps 50% of the regiments.
I may do this after further research, so if anyone has anything to offer, bring it on!
J Ferry
Overland designer