American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 am 

Gentlemen,

It is my happy honor to have as my first club wide communiqué the distinct pleasure to present awards to two of our finest members. This was already in the works prior to the election and with a quick unanimous vote the cabinet confirmed the decision.
The Legion of Merit is the ACWGC’s most prestigious award and only those that have shown a long standing commitment to club wide service have been recipients.

General Ned Simms is awarded the ACWGC’s Legion of Merit medal and ribbon for his long-termed and on-going service to the Club, primarily demonstrated by his founding, construction and maintenance of the Club’s first "Link Express" web site and by his installation and rigorous updating of "The American Civil War, Day By Day" thread within the Mason-Dixon Tavern. These two voluntary services imparted and continue to impart a necessary and welcomed element to the organized and historically rich environment of the American Civil War Game Club.

General Simms’s well-traveled "career" in this club pre-dates the existing hard records of the Club begun in January of 2001. One of the few members to have served within both Military Groups, he began his career as a CSA officer, rising to first a divisional command and then a corps command within the Army of Alabama. He transferred into the Union ranks in May of 2004, becoming a division commander again for the Army of the Shenandoah and, later, a corps commander for two different corps within that army over a two-year period. Most recently he served as the UA’s Eastern Theater Commander, before stepping down and taking a brigade command within the Army of the Cumberland.

Within the Union Army General Simms currently holds three Outstanding Service Medals and both the Exemplary and Honorable Service Medals, as well as the UA’s Good Conduct Medal. He is the recipient of the Sheridan Combat Medal and eight different Campaign Medals and over forty other battlefield awards, reflecting a portion of his overall, superlative battle record of 99-27-36-13-35.

General Nick Kunz is awarded the ACWGC’s Legion of Merit medal and ribbon for his long-termed and on-going service to the Club, primarily demonstrated by his management and people skills in running the Vicksburg Military Institute, the many administrative positions he has held within the CSA, and his love and devotion to both the ACWGC and its members. The thousands of hours that he has freely given to making this club a better place and to keep everything running behind the scenes are a testament to his devotion to duty and has greatly enhanced the club for all members of the American Civil War Game Club.

From the moment that General Kunz joined the ACWGC, in January of 2005, he has volunteered to help run the club in various club positions. He has held many command positions including CSA Chief of the Armies , ACWGC Cabinet Secretary, and Eastern Theater Commander. But the one position that he has shown the most passion for is being Commandant of VMI. General Kunz has worked almost from day one at VMI and has served in every position there and continues to serve there to this day as Commandant and Cadet Instructor. Being a “people person” and having an extraordinary gift for management and charts, Nick has influenced hundreds of new people in becoming members of our club, then helping to train them, and then seeing them out into the club. The ACWGC training academies are the lifeblood of the club and we are indeed very fortunate in having someone Nick’s caliber and talents running one of them.

General Kunz is also a very active gamer and always has has lots of games going in addition to his training games for VMI. Presently he has registered over 330 games at the DoR. And if all of this wasn’t enough he also maintains the VMI website, the Confederate HQ website, both Eastern and Western CSA Theater websites and the Army of Georgia’s website where he keeps everything up to date including dossiers for all the members of the AoG!!

General Kunz has been award many CSA medals and ribbons, and has received many accolades from members of both sides of the club for his never ending work for the club and his friendly soft spoken ways toward all members of the club. General Nick Kunz is the type of member that embodies the meaning and spirit behind the club’s highest award, The Legion of Merit.

I hope you will join me in honoring these two men for their continuing selfless dedication to the ACWGC.

<SALUTE>

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:56 am 

<<SALUTE>>

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:20 pm 

Well done, Ned and Nick!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 pm 
Cheers to both officers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

My congratulations and thanks to two of the most dedicated and outstanding members of the ACWGC!

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:54 pm 

Congratulations to both gentlemen. Very well deserved indeed! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:15 pm 

Thank you, gentlemen. This is very humbling and how such made it through the Cabinet without word leaking out beats me. This is an award for labors of love. I've met some wonderful people while gaming and maintaining these efforts. Nick Kunz is one of those people that the club would have been far far worse off if he had not become a member and I am honored to even be mentioned at the same award ceremony. I'm buying whatever you're drinking (I have a list, bartender, of who is paying).

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:32 pm 

I salute and congratulate both of these fine gentlemen for their continued Club participation and efforts. Fine wine has been ordered.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:11 pm 

Salute!

And a thank you.

Primus et pares with the other leading members or the club I thank you all and raise a toast in your honor with another form of "Salut!"

Respectfully

The Bucktails

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 pm 

I count both of these officers as good friends, not only have they helped make the club a better place, they have never been shy when I have asked them for help. So well done Ned and Nick <salute>. I shall now throw open my 10 acre liquor cabinet for general abuse by club members in celebration :shock: :mrgreen:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:02 pm 
cameronm wrote:
I shall now throw open my 10 acre liquor cabinet for general abuse by club members in celebration :shock: :mrgreen:

Oh no... time for me to leave before Cam starts telling those corny jokes after a few drinks :roll:

"How do you make a Venetian blind?
Poke him in the eyes!"

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:14 am 

Gentlemen congratulations to you both <salute>.

1/XIV
AotC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 am 

Well Done, Generals!

Nick, it is a great pleasure to serve with you in the Army of Georgia. You do it all, Sir. <Salute!>

1/3/III ANV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 pm 

A well deserved congratulations to you both...

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 am 

It's men like these two that have made this club a success. Congratulations to them both.