American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gettysburg visit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 am 

Just back from a 4 day visit.
We enjoyed our time there. Getting there was a problem. Huge traffic snarl at Harrisburg (route 83 to 81).
Two hours tie up along (damm trucks) that route heading into Harrisburg. We took the Pa. Turnpike going home and no problem.
We had a similar problem along route 95 in Connecticut heading home......two extra hours of traffic.

Other than that, all went well...........no crowds.

Our last trip was 2011 and it was nice to see that the old Cyclorama building was removed completely.

We were told that the 150th was a horror show..............very crowded. Wait in line to have breakfast, then after you eat.........get in line for lunch.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Gettysburg visit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 pm 

dukemat wrote:
We were told that the 150th was a horror show..............very crowded. Wait in line to have breakfast, then after you eat.........get in line for lunch.

Actually, we didn't find it to be too bad. We had a little trouble finding parking on the 2nd, and there were a lot of people, but by 6:30 PM when we left the park traffic wasn't a problem.

At the reenactment from the 4th through the 7th, we had a little trouble getting parked on the 4th, but not much trouble after that until the last day, when we sat in a field without moving for 2 1/2 hours, until they opened up another road. I think the problem then was that a lot of the reenactors were leaving at the same time, and I think the traffic control folks gave them precedence, though I don't know for sure.

We did commute back and forth from Baltimore, which may have helped with breakfast and supper.

I thought the water they were selling at the reenactment for $3 for a 20 oz bottle was high, but you could bring your own water and nobody minded.

Profile Send private message