American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:09 pm 

Did I dream it or is it in the HPS games?
For some reason I remember that HPS had added a function to use alternate entry hexes if the one that a player was scheduled to enter on was blocked in some way.

Fact or fiction of my old mind?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:56 pm 

Kennon, there was previous mention of this made within the forum. See http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17345&hilit=+alternate+entry.

But I feel that HPS & JTS ought to allow an Optional Rule for unknown, possible, alternate re-enforcement entry hex as a standard feature, if possible.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 am 

How about taking a quick look at the game editor. When reinforcements are set up, you stipulate where you want the reinforcement to enter, and you give it a percentage probability that it will enter there. You also can stipulate an alternate entry point.
Take a short scenario and open it in the editor. Give it a new name. Then tinker with entries and probabilities and see what happens.
The editor is easy to use, and is adequately explained in the manuals, in the game as Adobe Acrobat documents.
John Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:09 pm 

I had checked the user manuals but they made no mention. I did open up the editor and it does have some buttons for "Alt Entry" so it looks like the editor supports having multiple entries for a unit.

Do you know how this is presented to the Player? I haven't seen any extra buttons on the Reinforcement dialog but I don't know of any scenarios configured to use that feature. I'll have pick a little scenario and edit it to see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 pm 

As I recall, in the reinforcement schedule instead of having a specific time, it shows the percentage chance.
Try tinkering with the Battle of Piedmont, one of the last scns listed, which is a stand alone with a map made from the bottom up. Alter Yankee reinforcements. Just a suggestion.
J

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:18 pm 

If you look more closely through "CWEdit" it explains alternate times and places of reinforcements, how to set it up, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:18 am 

I found the description under the Dialog box for reinforcements. From what I gather in that description and how it appears to work, this allows the scenario designer to assign multiple entry points with different probabilities. However, the player has no control over which is chosen.

I was hoping for some mechanism that would allow a player to withhold entry and then select their own entry hex from a nearby or safe entry point. The problem comes up when historical entry points get blocked by the enemy because the map is to small to allow the troops sufficient room to avoid a blocking force. A lot of scenarios the opposing player knows entry times so well that they can use this to win the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 pm 
"A lot of scenarios the opposing player knows entry times so well that they can use this to win the game." I think this is one of the more "gamey" ways of playing the games, but seems to be popular.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm 

There is a provision to avoid those gamey maneuvers. If you note there is a setting, I think from one to five, in the reinforcement dialog box. Setting it at "five" will cause all enemy units within five hexes of the entry hex to rout, automatically, when a friendly unit enters. A fairly effective deterrent to crowding the entry hexes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 pm 

That will work if a large enough force come in and/or there are near by forces to help. But in a lot of cases a reinforcement ties your whole army to an entry site simply because the units arriving there are to important to give up but the place you have to defend is to poor to try. Sometimes you can arrange a house rule allowing you to hold back the reinforcement and not have it count as being removed from the map.

I would have been nice to have the game allow you to choose to come into a different entry road at a turn penalty. This would have made entry hex camping a poor tactic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:13 am 

There is nothing to prevent a player to protect their own entry hexes, to prevent the enemy to lurk on them.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 am 

I think the issue is that having to protect entry hexes denies you freedom of maneuver. Same goes for fixed units. If you don't want to lose them eventually you have to keep in contact with them.
J Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:02 am 

Its only a problem in some scenarios where the entrance road is to far from the main body or comes in so late that the battle could have shifted away from them. I was hoping the alternate entry would allow the designer to implement a rule that has been in board versions for a long time. If the enemy is camping your entry hex because they know valuable units come in with insufficient strength to defend themselves, the player could just refuse to enter and choose an alternate entry point with a movement penalty reflecting the longer march to avoid the enemy.

Anyway, not there so mute point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 am 

Not quite so moot... I will bring it up for a possible future upgrade.
J Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:52 am 

J. Ferry wrote:
Not quite so moot... I will bring it up for a possible future upgrade.
J Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

Would be nice either as an optional rule to allow any reinforcement to choose the next closes entry point with a significant turn delay and/or as a configurable alternate entry in the scenarios.