American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Campaign speculation
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:37 pm 

I remember reading sometime back around the release of HPS Overland that HPS was planning on releasing two more games after Overland. Now I apologize if ya'll have already discussed this on the forum, but I was wondering which two general campaigns would be the focus of these. I think one of them will be the Valley campaigns of 1862 and 1864, maybe with some Carolina and Appomatox 1865 on it (if these aren't already on one the existing titles). The other one I am not so sure, maybe the Red River Campaign in the Western Theater along with some other Western Theater loose-ends such as the Arizona campaign put in with it. That would seem to put pretty complete collection encompassing the war to me. Which one that you guys think? Let me know if these are already covered.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Campaign speculation
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:51 pm 

They may just wrap the key battles remaining up in one title? Some of the ones in late 64 and 65 are not that much fun for us Rebs, but I would still give them a go

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 am 
With apologies to the historical purists, what would be of interest to me is an HPS game with:

(1) A feature to allow the players to place their own forces on the map before play begins
(2) An automatic map generation function - or - a way for players to customize a map

Such a game would permit endless variety of battles and fun.

Even simply being able to place forces on the map would breath life into the old set piece battles.

<salute!>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:02 pm 

Using the editor, you actually can place the forces yourself. With Overland and some of the other games, the maps are big enough that you can select a piece of terrain where no battle was ever fought, make a sub map, deploy your forces and have at it!
If you and your opponent were to make a scenario, or customize an existing one, you would deploy your forces and then he would deploy his, or you can ask a third party to deploy them as you wish.
J Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:55 pm 
Fascinating. Is there a manual or other instruction how to do this?

My fancy has always been to play a strategic level civil war game, but rather than permit the game engine to resolve the battles, fight each battle with the forces in play and terrain on a tactical level map. But this would require the ability to customize maps and dictate orders of battle - including officers - to resolve the battle. Without the advantage of a platoon of game testers to determine the 'fair' value of victory hexes and therefore the winner and loser is a question not resolved in my mind. But we dream...

<salute!>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:09 am 

The manual is included with the game(s) in Adobe Acrobat format. That is what you open now instead of a Help file. Look for cwedit, cwb or cwcamp, at least in Overland and Chickamauga, and likely most other titles.
John
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 am 

Reflecting on how to preserve FoW when you and your opponent are deploying forces on the same battlefield. Best way is for each side to deploy their forces separately and then send their files to a third party, who would take one file and using split screen or another computer deploy the forces of the other file. Hope you smell what I'm stepping in. That would be best for secret deployments. There may be other, more savvy, ways to do it.
John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 am 

Mr. Lane wrote:
Fascinating. Is there a manual or other instruction how to do this?

My fancy has always been to play a strategic level civil war game, but rather than permit the game engine to resolve the battles, fight each battle with the forces in play and terrain on a tactical level map. But this would require the ability to customize maps and dictate orders of battle - including officers - to resolve the battle. Without the advantage of a platoon of game testers to determine the 'fair' value of victory hexes and therefore the winner and loser is a question not resolved in my mind. But we dream...

<salute!>

What you are describing is Hank's "Fight the War" project. Unfortunately, I don't think he has had time in the last year to get his new version of it ready for use.