American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:19 pm 

I am also working on a variant that features a staff officer and a courier for each army and corps. If you think of anything else cool (with in the established engine of the game) send your ideas to me, and I might could incorporate them!
John Ferry
Overland codesigner

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:53 pm 

John, How about squadrons for cavalry for the big scenario? It will allow for more recon and soften the blow of losing a recon cavalry unit. With a move range of 24 hexes on a road and 12 in the open/paths it is too easy to trap one cav unit with a brigade of cav. 450-600 man cav units cost a lot of points and due to the limited number of cav units, make for a big prize to eliminate..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 pm 

Almost all units in the game consist of two battalions or squadrons. The second battalion is activated when the first battalion goes below 50% strength. The other stand-alone scenarios feature two squadrons in the field, but I felt that there were already plenty of units without adding more in the Monster.
Also, cavalry is not as valuable in Overland as in most other games. Costs are 10 for infantry, 12 for cavalry, and 15 for artillery. I wanted Overland to be more about tactics and less about accumulating points.
John Ferry
Overland co-designer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:32 am 

I had not noticed it was worth less, but it still has extremevalue as the eyes of the army..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 am 

Another thing I might point out are the units that I call "memo" units. They are one-man strong, and tell you when units and brigades are activated or sent home, things like that. There is no restriction on using them for whatever you want. There also "units" like Frank Stringfellow, a spy for the Confederacy. He can go wandering around, armed with a captured Henry rifle, and can give good intel until his number comes up.
Also adding couriers and staff officers. Staff officers can lead a column just like the commander can with the mouse and alt button. Couriers could be useful especially in MP games to send orders and messages with a realistic time lapse.
One lesson learned is to not send your cavalry too far afield. Also you have Mosby's regiment as a good intel-gathering asset.
John Ferry
Overland co-Designer

Last edited by John Ferry on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 pm 

Thanks John, I was unsure about those 1 man units. One real challenge, as you mentioned earlier, is the timing of bringing up the replacements. I mean, I hope I will win an overwhelming victory before they are necessary but the timing of getting them to the right place at the right time is going to be a real mind puzzle. It is one thing to rotate front line brigades or even front line divisions, but this is another order of planning and complexity.

One thing I am finding difficult is conceptualizing the map south of the Spottsylvania Courthouse battlefield. What I mean is the tangle of roads and paths west and east of it, and then south of that position. the zoom out 2d does not show the roads well and the 2d regular does not show enough map....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 pm 

I might want to clarify the replacement system. You really have no control over them, EXCEPT that when a unit takes the hit that sends its strength below 50%, that is when its counterpart starts the long trek from the repple depple (replacement depot for those unversed in WWII slang) CSA artillery units can receive their replacement sections as soon as they lose a gun. Some brigades pop up all at once, at the Union's supply bases for instance. You will end up with a long string, like an umbilical, from the depot or bases, to your army.
Maybe somebody has come up with a map mod that shows roads better in zoom out 2D
Anyone out there???

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:00 am 

J. Ferry wrote:
Maybe somebody has come up with a map mod that shows roads better in zoom out 2D
Anyone out there???

Bill Peters had made a mod for roads, pikes, paths and that helped a lot.

I am FAIRLY certain you can find it at the Scenario Design Center.

If not, I have a copy stashed someplace.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:52 am 

http://www.acwgc.org/ACWGC_Members/Bill ... DRoads.zip

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm 

J. Ferry wrote:
I might want to clarify the replacement system. You really have no control over them, EXCEPT that when a unit takes the hit that sends its strength below 50%, that is when its counterpart starts the long trek from the repple depple (replacement depot for those unversed in WWII slang) CSA artillery units can receive their replacement sections as soon as they lose a gun. Some brigades pop up all at once, at the Union's supply bases for instance. You will end up with a long string, like an umbilical, from the depot or bases, to your army.

Hi, John,

How does it work with all the supply units in the replacement pool?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 pm 

Supply, in the long run, is one of those untested factors.
If not needed, those supply units can just stay on the east side of the Potomac. However, if you check out the reinforcement schedule, you will see that supply also comes in at the bases (S.Richmond, Aquia Creek, Belle Plain or Port Royal) on a regular basis. If not needed, they could also stay at Richmond or in the Union's case, be evacuated over the Potomac.
It should be understood that the replacement depots should be off limits to enemy offensive action. The crossings of the Potomac represent USN transport. They are not "bridges" to be used by the enemy.
In MP games, the commanders, or a designated subordinate, should be responsible for logistic "housekeeping," such as dealing with supply units and reinforcements. One person should move reinforcing units to the battlefield, not releasing them to their corps until they are on or very near the battle field. This is because units moved previously will end up parked in the path of another unit, thus costing some of the road bonus or even blocking the progress of follow on units.

John Ferry
Overland Scenario Designer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:29 pm 

Thanks for the prompt reply.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:40 pm 

Hi, John,

I have noticed that the Confederate artillery ammo is only 11,000+ rounds for the whole month vs over 200,000 rounds for the Union. I know the Rebs had a supply disadvantage, but was it that bad?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:46 pm 

Mike
I did not realize it was that big a difference. I do not believe that either side in any scenario should ever run out of artillery ammunition. In most scenarios, in other games, the amount of artillery ammo allowed is pretty much a subjective number, not based on data because there is not much that can be quantified into a scenario. If anybody runs out in any Overland scenario, contact me and I will increase it.
I will check out the monster's numbers, pdq.
John Ferry
Overland co-designer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:35 pm 

Mike
could you take another look at the ammo totals you mentioned?
I allocated 5000 "rounds" to each side, which on a per tube basis equates to 20, 722 Union and 11,319 Confederate. Somewhere you came up with an extra "zero" for the Union.
There are a lot of artillery replacements coming on for the Union--entire brigades, to reflect their reorganization during the campaign, but a factor of ten is a stretch. Still, let me know where you saw it.
John Ferry
Overland co-designer