American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:20 pm 

Gentlemen,

I love the HPS Antietam Game Disk, especially the Supply wagon movement rate. Is it possible for HPS to edit the Gettysburg Game Disk to allow the same movement rate. The slow wagons in HPS Gettysburg and the Hugh maps greatly effects the strategy and game play.

Thought? Comments?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:32 am 

It is very easy for players themselves to change any movement factor in a game, as well as many other parameters, by going into the pdt and making the adjustment. Just make sure that your opponent(s) have the same version of the pdt when you play.
J

John Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 pm 

John,

I can't modify the files and still play other games on the Disk with the old Files. I currently have three HPS Gettysburg games going using those big maps. That is why I was hoping HPS would make a Overall Disk Mod.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:33 pm 

Disk mod on somebody else's game is above my pay grade. You should ask HPS support.
J

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 pm 

I think that you can mod a PDT and still continue with other games using the original PDT. You have to make sure you rename the NEW PDT and reference the NEW PDT in the scenario (also needs renaming) you plan to play. Then both players need the renamed files. It would have no effect on current or future games using the original PDT and scenario. (Not an expert on PDT, but I think I am right.)

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:47 am 

There are two files you need to change if you don't want to interfere with existing games. You want to copy and rename the scenario file (ends in ".scn") that you want to play so you don't mess up the original. I usually use the original files name with some add on at the end like "LaurelHill_New.scn" or such.

Then look in the renamed scenario file and you will see three file names in it starting on the 9th line. In the particular one I opened the files are:

LaurelHill1sub.map
spotsylvania1.oob
Overland1.pdt

These in order are the map used, the OOB used, and the data file or pdt file used.

The last one is the one you want to change since it is the parameter file. Find the "pdt" file associated with your new scenario in the game folder and do like you did the scenario file. Copy and rename it so you aren't alternating the original.

Go back to your "new" scenario file and edit that third file reference so it is the name of your "new" pdt file. Now you have a scenario with a different name that is a copy of the original and will show up in the scenario list when you start the game. And it will use a different pdt file for its parameters.

You can now alter game parameters to your hearts content in the new pdt file without effecting any other games past or future.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:23 pm 

Kennon's post about covers the way to change the pdt file used by a scenario, for those of you who aren't aware of it there is a webpage that provides information of the various files used in the HPS and Tiller Games and how to modify them.

If you're interested check out the ACWCO Engineering Department - http://home.comcast.net/~acwco_engineering/

You'll find a section describing the various lines of the pdt and what they control so you can modify the values you wish to change, this is current to the Overland game changes.

There are also sections covering the .oob and .map files.

And you'll also find a section with an intro to using the Scenario Editor that should assist you in opening a stock scenario (.scn) file, saving it and adding comments about your changes. This section also includes another example of how to make the changes for using a non stock pdt file as described by Gen. Whitehead.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:02 am 

In addition to this- The Renaissance, the notes file from that title (which I got on SDC), also has a guide for how to edit the PDT and OOB files in the Musket and Pike series (which was based upon material put together for the Napoleonic Battles' series).

I only bring this up, in that the series can vary slightly in slots -although a lot of it looks the same (in other words the NB and MP engines are both cousins to the CWB engine -and once you get the hang of what to look for in one, it becomes easier to manage in the others.).

I know Ken's page helped me out with some of these other series' material (in addition to the notes file).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:11 pm 

Overland also has an annotated pdt which tells you what the numbers mean. It is easy to bring it up on your screen alongside the pdt you want to work on. It is "demo Overloand3.pdt"
J

John Ferry
Overland codesigner