American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:32 pm 

Good day gentlemen,
I recently finished the Carthage scenario("The Battle of Carthage, July 5, 1861 (Historical) Weather rules" this is the Team Banshee weather version of the stock scenario) and for me as Union player it didn't go out well and I had to lay down my arms on turn 21(from 51), now I wonder what I have done wrong(I know that my performance surely isn't near the performance that Sigel gave) and how the scenario could/should be played.

Was any Union player able to move his forces to the southern map edge?
If so what did the Confederate player do to stop him?
What optional rules were used?

My opponent was so pleasant to say he used his cavalry unfair but I doubt that, the position at the start, the overall strategic setup and the historical battle itself show that the flanking movements of the Confederate cavalry are simply natural.

For now I think the scenario should be played with manual defensive fire as it seems only very careful use of it will enable the Union player to keep the Confederates on distance and so give room for a retreat further south.

Any input is welcome.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 pm 

Yes, indeed, I made it to the south end of the map. I fought a delaying action all of the way south from the very first turn with more concentration upon moving south than on delaying. A lot of good that it did me though, as I still couldn't hold him back at the river and thus suffered a major defeat. However, I don't feel lonely as the Yank has never even achieved a draw in this battle - 21 major defeats and 4 minor defeats. I've been thinking about having my 4 year old grand-niece join the club so that I can play her at this battle and maybe get the very first Union win, but I'm afraid that she would beat me here too. It was an entertaining scenario, albeit a very unbalanced one.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 pm 

I'm with Ned on this one, played the campaign game scenario having gotten a victory in the opening battle at Boonville then got my head handed to me at Carthage. Of course I played it blind not knowing the situation and probably waited too long to start falling back but it just seems to be one of those unbalanced historical scenarios that without the poor play of the original commanders is just one sided.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP