American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:24 am 

Attention gentlemen, Campaign Gettysburg that is so favored in our club received a new update.

Changes for Campaign Gettysburg 2.0
- Initial John Tiller Software release.
- Restored snapshot feature for entire map.
- Added Mixed Organization Penalty Optional Rule for -1 morale modifier
when units from different brigades are in the same hex.
- Added ability to construct Trenches in certain scenarios based on
Parameter Data Trench Construction value.

Download here:
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up ... CivWar.asp

Now that was a surprise release at least for me, while the Napoleonic Campaign Waterloo received an update a short time ago but only for the JTS release with the HPS release still in the making, this update was not first released for JTS.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:34 pm 

A little clarification:

There are HPS PURCHASED games for the ACW. There are JTS (John Tiller Software) PURCHASED games for the ACW. ALL HPS PURCHASED ACW games will eventually be upgraded to the same version as NEWLY released JTS titles of the same name, i.e. Gettysburg, Atlanta, Antietam, etc.

There are HPS PURCHASED Gettysburg games that have been updated to v1.05, which is what MOST members are currently playing.

There are JTS PURCHASED GETTYSBURG games that JTS released as Version 2.0.
Then there is the HPS Gettysburg games PATCH updated to Version 2.0, with CHANGES as Mr Hecht stated.
This update, among other things, allows original HPS Campaign Gettysburg users to play opponents who may own the new JTS Campaign Gettysburg version. With this update the two versions will be fully compatible.

Each of the remaining HPS Civil War Campaign game packages will also be updated in the days and weeks to come. Until then, the existing HPS and JTS versions will not be compatible with each other.
(Taken from a Gen Meyer email) :mrgreen:
FURTHER CLARIFICATION: IMPORTANT!!!!!!

Also, the game you purchased from HPS that is upgraded to the latest HPS version of v1.05 WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE with HPS version 2.0, that was just released. All Players in a game must upgrade from version 1.05, as we had to do with most other upgrades.

As Joe has stated all other ACW HPS/JTS will be upgraded in a similar manner.

I hope this helps. :roll:

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:31 pm 

Along the same lines - Rich Hamilton is asking for feedback as to which title they should update next.

http://hpssims.com.c7.previewyoursite.c ... #post34850

Post here to have your say (or drop an email to Rich at the JTS support email address - I think it is support at johntillersoftware dot com - but check the site just to be sure as I was typing that off of the top of my head.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:38 pm 

So the download versions that I can get from JTS of the older HPS releases are already more "advanced" that what I can achieve with the normal HPS games and the current patches from HPS?

Interesting because I thought there isn't any difference between the JTS and the patched HPS games.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:27 pm 

C. Hecht wrote:
So the download versions that I can get from JTS of the older HPS releases are already more "advanced" that what I can achieve with the normal HPS games and the current patches from HPS?

Interesting because I thought there isn't any difference between the JTS and the patched HPS games.

The games are the same.

There is NO difference between the HPS and JTS games of the same title. The ONLY difference is that the JTS versions have a NEWER patch already applied, when purchased from JTS.

The HPS games are being updated to coincide with the JTS releases. They are absolutely the same game. WHEN the HPS games are updated, they are exactly the same.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 am 

What Ernie mentioned is true -excepting for one thing , only the JTS versions are using the graphic sets from the JTS apps -those graphics are not in the HPS versions of the update.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:12 am 

seems like a bad decision to release this update if there is room for this kind of confusion.

there really should be only one update for this and all games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:07 pm 

I am not sure how there could be any 'confusion', Ernie was simply posting information that JTS has always said -and I only added that technically there was one difference -and that was purely a graphical one -which is something that anyone that looks at the screenshots on the JTS site can easily see.

I was saying that the JTS graphics were not a part of the HPS update; although if guys are using mods - then it is a moot point anyway.

The JTS and HPS versions are fully compatible, -but it is completely fair and accurate to note that they will not look the same, and based upon the information that I have received - there are no plans to change the graphics on the HPS versions to match the JTS versions. (Otoh if you know what files to look at - the main difference is that the JTS versions' programming calls on an additional row on some of the map layer files. You can see the same effect if you have any of the NB series published by HPS and compare it to the map graphics in their NB demo.

I think the larger point remains in that you are actually are talking about distinct companies, and ones with their own business models.