American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Worst option
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:35 pm 
mihalik wrote:
Hi,

I did some checking and found that only friendly artillery will cause you a problem with movement. I used Chancellorsville to do the checking but I think all the games are the same by now.

I spiked a Union battery on a woods trail. Union had to pay woods cost to go through it. Confederate units moved through at trail rate.

I also spiked a Union artillery in a ford. Confederates used the ford as normal, but Union units were prohibited.

One thing I have noticed is if you capture a stack of enemy artillery and the total exceeds stacking limits, nobody in the hex can fire.

Some clever programming on John's part, but it's a shame you have to find out all these things out the hard way.

These are even more reasons not to use this option, why should a spiked cannon affect units differently?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:55 pm 

Well it may have to be tested in all possible variations to be sure how all combinations play out. but if mihalik is right I don't see a problem, if one side places artillery at a ford in the hope to block movements after that artillery is uncrewed or was captured it is a futile attempt.
And if it's a problem for the side that placed the artillery there that side they should haver thought about it before as this gamey tactic now comes back like a boomerang.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:42 pm 
C. Hecht wrote:
Well it may have to be tested in all possible variations to be sure how all combinations play out. but if mihalik is right I don't see a problem, if one side places artillery at a ford in the hope to block movements after that artillery is uncrewed or was captured it is a futile attempt.
And if it's a problem for the side that placed the artillery there that side they should haver thought about it before as this gamey tactic now comes back like a boomerang.

It's just dumb that a cannon affects movement because of the uniform worn by the fellow wanting to pass it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 am 

I hope to never play another game with artillery capture checked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am 

My solution is to capture the battery if its enemy so I can give it a bad facing then plant a big short range battery behind it. Takes a couple of turns to shoot it out of existence. That assumes you have enough ammo which sometimes the Rebel player can't afford to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 pm 

Artillery capture is essential and surely also historically correct. Obviously the way it's handled in the game is far from optimum.
But nothings keeps one from agreeing to some house rules.
My idea to this is:
- The player that keeps/conquers the battlefield gets the full VP for enemy artillery that was left behind and half VPs for spiked artillery that was left behind.
- If both forces stay on the map it's simple to draw a "frontline" to clarify who conquered an artillery unit, enemy artillery that was conquered gives full VP and enemy artillery that was spiked gives half VPs.

I would rather use these housrules instead of playing without artillery capture, that feature is even desperately wanted in the Napi series.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 am 

Ernie, the good thing about optional rules are that they are optional. But I do hope you don't give up on it. I usually play with a lot of game flexibility. By that I mean, if you are playing a game, why not let your opponent pick the rules for the 1st game, and you the next.

Gen Hecht, I like your simple solution. I would point out a couple items. 1) If a player controls the whole of a battlefield, it's unlikely that the arty VPs will make a difference. Also, I would argue that artillery that is uncrewed and unoccupied is simply abandoned, much the same as any unused equipment. Lastly, the game allows for a very minimal occupation for full VPs to be scored. Any combat unit, supply wagon, and even a lone leader will be sufficient for the capturing side to gain full VPs.

Happy gaming!

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah