American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Final Salute <
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:17 pm 

Sirs and Curs of the CSA and USA (respectively),

I return to the Mason Dixon Tavern after a 4 year(ish) absence on a sad mission.

ACWGC records appear to record my friend, Brig. Gen. Larry Kocher ANV (formerly AoG) as 'Active in the Field'.

It is my sad duty to report that Larry passed away in his beloved Oregon, on or around December 11th, 2014. (I had been ill for a while before this date and had lost touch with Larry - unfortunately, I cannot be more specific as to the exact date).

I would respectfully request that Larry be accorded full honours of the Club and his passionately beloved CSA and that his name be entered on the 'Fallen Comrades' rolls of the ACWGC.

Larry was an irascible and friendly foe. We played quite a few manoeuvres together and even when we took a rest from meeting each other on the Field, we mailed often. As no doubt in real life, he will be missed by those of us who knew him here.

To keep 'those people' confuddled and bemused he posted on the boards as 'Caliban'.

Please raise a glass and spare a moment's thought for a mischievous companion on the dusty Civil War trail and a courteous - if irreverent - opponent.

One of those men that have made the ACWGC, the great institution it is ......

"To Brig. Gen. Larry Kocher, CSA --- Happy Trails Suh!"

<SALUTE!>
General Patrick Carroll,
Army of Georgia
(To Hell with what the Brass say ....... :mrgreen: )

AoG

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: A Final Salute <
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:58 pm 

Thanks Patrick for telling us. Very sorry to hear about it. I'll add him to the page soon....still traveling today....stinks when someone you're close with & enjoy interacting with passes on. I can recall the ones I was good friends with myself. Something as time goes on we'll see more of.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:58 pm 

Pat, I thank you for making this post. I had no idea that "Caliban" was gone from us. I knew, of course, of his many ailments and regretful physical condition, all of which contributed to his occasional and sometimes frequent sour manner. But his gaming enthusiasm as a rebel opponent knew few boundaries. I don't think that I've met a more memorable character than Larry Kocher, nor had as many thought provoking telephone and e-mail conversations as I did with him. Mischievous, irascible and irreverent describe the man in the moment, but he was also a straightforward and no nonsense player who could give you a ton of competition for your time!

I thought so much of the man as a competitor that when I finally nailed him in a game I had my personal club banner imprinted with the image of a wheelchair wheel in honorable memory of the event, just as if it had been an actual ACW battle. The man could be incorrigible to a degree, but he had some good reasons for it. In his world of care homes and caretakers the ACWGC loomed large in his routine. Despite the constant, excruciating pains, headaches and discomfort he endured just to set himself in front of a keyboard, Larry regarded the club and its members with a great deal of respect and satisfaction. I'm not surprised to hear Pat tell us that Larry painted himself with the gray and went forward to wreak as much havoc with the Union Military Group as he could.

I join Pat's call for Larry to be accorded full honors of the club and urge all members of both the CSA and USA Military Groups to pay their tributes to a fallen comrade.

No more pain, Larry, no more languishing.

<SALUTE>

(My personal standard)

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:07 am 

I haven't played against him nor can I remember having any conversation on this board with him but from what the gentlemen posted he seems to have been a fine guy and it's obvious that not only his family and friends but also the members and the whole club have to bear a great loss.

<SALUTE>

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:02 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:07 pm 

Gentlemen I knew Brig. Gen. Larry Kocher from the time he joined the club in November 2007. We both served in the 1st Division, 1st Corps (King Cotton), Army of Georgia. Upon joining I got to know him reasonably well, playing a couple of battles with him. Over the years we have kept in touch, but his participation in the club had been subject to the whims of his medical conditions. I am not too sure how long he had been confined to a wheel chair, but it did not seem to stop him from participating in life as I do know he got out and about.

The Larry Kocher I knew was a good man who made the world a richer place by being in it.

<SALUTE>

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:08 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

While I never had any interaction with General Kocher I do mourn the passing of a fellow Civil War gamer, ACWGC member, and Confederate officer. He sounds like someone I would have enjoyed gaming with.

Larry <salute> Good words have been posted by those who knew you during your time with us. My condolences to your family and wishes that you rest in peace.

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary