American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 pm 

As John has alluded to in his previous post, the PDT has its limitations relative to the base game engine. While one can construct a different movement system or a standard Weapons Effectiveness -- never understood why weapon types should differ from one scenario to the next --, a standard PDT for use across all games is not possible. While a scenario file can be changed to reference a different PDT, it must carry the same name as the one designated when the SCN was built. One must build a new copy of the scenario otherwise. There is a good description of this process at the ACWCO Engineering site maintained by Ken Miller. As was stated previously in this thread, an individual is on their own in this regard.

I have played around with the PDT files since the Battleground days. I've always taken the approach that I can't modify the game engine, but I can identify historical inaccuracies in the PDT. Changing the latter can create more Civil-war like game play. In the process I have encountered things which I thought to be program bugs, but later revealed themselves to be undocumented aspects of the game system. For example, a unit incurs a downhill movement cost which is 1/2 its uphill. I only discovered this in the process of developing a more robust system of movement -- I pitched base 12 some time back. No where will you find this documented -- it is now at Ken Miller's website. It came as a surprise to me, as it was to both Ken and John. Who knows what else lurks?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:23 pm 

Regarding the "Golden Morale" units from the old Talonsoft NiR game, I think that the HPS/Tiller games have the same ability to add that extra +2. It was in the Napoleon's Russian Campaign game (there were campaign decisions that would lower the morale if, for example, you chose not to fight at Smolensk). So it could be added here too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:41 pm 

Robert Frost wrote:
As John has alluded to in his previous post, the PDT has its limitations relative to the base game engine. While one can construct a different movement system or a standard Weapons Effectiveness -- never understood why weapon types should differ from one scenario to the next --, a standard PDT for use across all games is not possible. While a scenario file can be changed to reference a different PDT, it must carry the same name as the one designated when the SCN was built. One must build a new copy of the scenario otherwise. There is a good description of this process at the ACWCO Engineering site maintained by Ken Miller. As was stated previously in this thread, an individual is on their own in this regard.

I have played around with the PDT files since the Battleground days. I've always taken the approach that I can't modify the game engine, but I can identify historical inaccuracies in the PDT. Changing the latter can create more Civil-war like game play. In the process I have encountered things which I thought to be program bugs, but later revealed themselves to be undocumented aspects of the game system. For example, a unit incurs a downhill movement cost which is 1/2 its uphill. I only discovered this in the process of developing a more robust system of movement -- I pitched base 12 some time back. No where will you find this documented -- it is now at Ken Miller's website. It came as a surprise to me, as it was to both Ken and John. Who knows what else lurks?

Fwiw, you can edit a scenario file like any text file and technically you can add in different PDTs that way (or maps) - but- it probably is not a good idea unless one has a lot of experience in it. I had to do that in Musket and Pike not too long ago... some REN scenarios that I posted to demonstrate to some guys that the engine was a little broader than they were giving it credit for; I guess ironically, it involved changing around OOB styles, and unit types, I also had to rename some weapons.

One reason that you have to have different weapons' slots (probably the main one) is that the number of weapons' slots are limited. In M&P for example, even though the engine is very closely related to NB you only have half the number of weapons' slots due to the need to have additional effectiveness ratings vs armoured targets.

Interesting info about the undocumented information; it makes one wonder how much else is out there -the only reason that I can think that this happens is that not many people play around with movement values ( I have no problem with ditching base 12 either - so I wonder what I will be coming across...). :)

Anyway - what Mr Frost wrote is exactly what I was meaning, some really informative material.

-----------
-----------

What Jim is writing about would be Fanatical ratings in the OOB file; I don't know that this is in the CWB engine - it is in the M&P engine and is a flag on the units lines. There are some documents available on how this works -I think maybe Bill Peters probably wrote some originally, although my main reference would be the one in REN which I have had to use pretty frequently. Actually it might not be the fanatical rating, now that I think of it - there are (iirc) 9 different morale ratings in both NB and M&P - with the higher ones = A, A+, A++, etc... and on top of that then you can rate lower morale classes as 'fanatical' which also has a similar impact.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:50 pm 

Reading my previous post, I worded it rather poorly. The best method for incorporating new PDT values is to copy the existing SCN and edit it to point to the new PDT which one has created. This avoids the problem of modifying whatever passes as the "standard" PDT in a specific scenario. If one wishes to change the scenario in some other fashion, then the scenario editor is in order. I am wont to cut and paste parts of SCN files, but there are some things that cannot be done outside the editor for some reason.