ACWGC Forums
http://www.wargame.ch/board/acwgc/

Tim Miller
http://www.wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20327
Page 1 of 1

Author:  dukemat [ Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Tim Miller

has anyone ever heard from Tim Miller.

I had a few games going with Tim as a partner.

He stopped responding some months ago.........no reason......just stopped emailing.

Author:  Scott Ludwig [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

I too have been worried/wondering about Tim. Have not heard from him since Spring. Hopefully he just had a rapid deployment or something and wasn't able to give notice. Especially with the weather SC has had....

Author:  dukemat [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

What is the club's fall back position when we are missing a member?

I remember posting a request years ago that members provide a secondary email that could be used to contact under extraordinary circumstances.

A next of kin contact that could only be used by the President of the Club after a lengthy amount of time.

Speaking for myself, I think it would be welcome addition.

Author:  dukemat [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

Scott Ludwig wrote:
I too have been worried/wondering about Tim. Have not heard from him since Spring. Hopefully he just had a rapid deployment or something and wasn't able to give notice. Especially with the weather SC has had....


I tried every way possible to reach Tim. At first he said he would respond and continue, but he never really did. We had no issues in our games that we were playing. His lack of interest came out of the blue.
I tried contacting his wife through Facebook with a message. but she never responded. I could not "friend" her because she has that function shut off.

His wife seems ok, she post regularly on Facebook.

Hopefully everything is ok with Tim.

Author:  R. Sickbert [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

dukemat wrote:
What is the club's fall back position when we are missing a member?

I remember posting a request years ago that members provide a secondary email that could be used to contact under extraordinary circumstances.

A next of kin contact that could only be used by the President of the Club after a lengthy amount of time.

Speaking for myself, I think it would be welcome addition.



I agree with you sir. Last year I had a health event that took me immediately out of circulation and no one else in the family really knew anything about the ACWGC or that contact was in order. I am not opposed to secondary contact info for Admin use.

Author:  Ernie Sands [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

It is fairly rare for someone to just disappear, but it does happen and it is disconcerting. There are so may variables in RL, that there is no way that members do not get concerned about an opponent. Many of us have played the same opponent for years.

The first issue is within the chain of command, from division up to the AC's, to determine IF there are reasons for the absence that they might be aware of. In this particular case, there is NO indication in the DOR of him being placed on a leave of absence or placed in the "hospital".

This needs to be brought up to the ANV AC and we will go from there. Perhaps Gen Miller should be placed in the "hospital" or given a LOA, as he is a long time member.

We should give members the benefit of the doubt that circumstances keep them away and not able or (sometimes) willing to answer emails.

Our system allows for several months of no contact to keep the member on the rolls and continue in his unit, etc.

OTOH, if an opponent has just disappeared and is not playing the game, then the other player MAY end the game with a major Victory (Club rules: 5.1.8.2 If one player leaves the Club, becomes inactive, or simply stops responding for weeks at a time, the remaining player may treat the game as a Major Victory. It is normal protocol to first check with the superior officers of the opponent before declaring this type of victory.). Many players would rather wait.

As for requesting an additional email address from all members has some merit, but I am not sure it is needed, for the most part.

Author:  dukemat [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

Ernie Sands wrote:
It is fairly rare for someone to just disappear, but it does happen and it is disconcerting. There are so may variables in RL, that there is no way that members do not get concerned about an opponent. Many of us have played the same opponent for years.

The first issue is within the chain of command, from division up to the AC's, to determine IF there are reasons for the absence that they might be aware of. In this particular case, there is NO indication in the DOR of him being placed on a leave of absence or placed in the "hospital".

This needs to be brought up to the ANV AC and we will go from there. Perhaps Gen Miller should be placed in the "hospital" or given a LOA, as he is a long time member.

We should give members the benefit of the doubt that circumstances keep them away and not able or (sometimes) willing to answer emails.

Our system allows for several months of no contact to keep the member on the rolls and continue in his unit, etc.

OTOH, if an opponent has just disappeared and is not playing the game, then the other player MAY end the game with a major Victory (Club rules: 5.1.8.2 If one player leaves the Club, becomes inactive, or simply stops responding for weeks at a time, the remaining player may treat the game as a Major Victory. It is normal protocol to first check with the superior officers of the opponent before declaring this type of victory.). Many players would rather wait.

As for requesting an additional email address from all members has some merit, but I am not sure it is needed, for the most part.

In this particular instance with Tim, we moved on without him.
He was my partner in a few ongoing games (along with other guys who were his partner).
I was able to add guys from my small circle of friends to continue existing games in the same format (multi player).
One multi battle we ended as a draw because we had only played a handful of turns.

With respect to my call for a "next of kin" email.
I thought it was good idea.
I stand corrected.

Author:  John Ferry [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

How about a snail mail address in contact info?
John Ferry

Author:  Ernie Sands [ Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

dukemat wrote:

With respect to my call for a "next of kin" email.
I thought it was good idea.
I stand corrected.


It is not a bad idea, but probably would be little used.

It is something to consider.

I think that SNAIL mail is getting quite personal and I do not think that is a good idea.

Author:  sstiles [ Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

I am afraid I cannot add much - his last muster was in March 2015. I have had no response to follow-ups since then. I guess we must assume RL has intervened.

Author:  dukemat [ Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

sstiles wrote:
I am afraid I cannot add much - his last muster was in March 2015. I have had no response to follow-ups since then. I guess we must assume RL has intervened.

It does seem that way.......oh well.

Author:  Dwight McBride [ Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

What the heck does "OTOH" stand for? Or "RL"? . . . ????

Author:  Ernie Sands [ Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Tim Miller

OTOH= On The Other Hand

RL= Real Life

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/