American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: War of Rights Game
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:58 pm 

They just made one of their milestones for Alpha. They added skirmishing which is short battles (on a timer) that anyone can join. You have to capture an objective to win. The ones I joined had about 50 to 70 players and lasted up to 30 minutes before ending.

Skirmishes are based on following locations:
Burnside Bridge
Dunker Church
Sunken Road

I took some screen shots but I haven't verified whether I can post them.

Someone else posted this short video so I can blame it on them and give the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgKzTduGZU

Loading a gun takes a while and is very disorienting. They go for realism so you have to find your way to things as best you can. There is a so called "Tactical" display you can call up that in a skirmish shows you the direction to the objective and a compass.

So far I have been killed a lot, killed a few Yankees, and killed two of my own men (shouldn't have run in front of me).

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: War of Rights Game
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 pm 

boy............that looks interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:06 am 

Here is why the Yankees have a hard time taking Burnside Bridge in the game. Us Rebs form a double line at the Rebel side of the bridge. Because the Union side the ground is relatively flat near the bridge they can't see us to fire. They have to either move to the top of the bridge in plain sight or charge. Both result in them being cut to pieces. Behind us is a steep hill where more Rebel skirmishers are. They can see the Union side and tell us when they are forming up for a charge.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:00 am 

The game has three skirmish areas right now. Burnsides Bridge which was my previous picture, the Sunken Road and The Dunker Church which is shown below. You can see the church to the right. I am a Yankee. You can also see a Rebel skirmish line on the rise directly over my barrel. If you lock closely you can see two or three Rebs. That is about a 100 yard shot. And it also shows why our games ranges are unrealistic. If you saw a video of the shot I am about to make you would see the barrel moving all over the place. Game makes your aim unsteady depending on how tired you are. The smoke from the Rebel guns are why the hill is so fuzzy.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:46 pm 

Is there any advancement of you character?
That you get quicker in loading or more steady when aiming?

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 am 

C. Hecht wrote:
Is there any advancement of you character?
That you get quicker in loading or more steady when aiming?

Nope, this is a pure skill game. You lean how to shoot and melee. Generally practice improves your effectiveness considerably but only to a point.

The game is really about cooperative tactics. Officers have an important job in the game even on the skirmish level which is limited to 64 total players. Officers are armed with pistols and swords which makes them better meleers. A well coordinated force puts the rifleman in a double line if they need volume of fire or an open line if they are in a long term fire fight. They stay well behind the line an continually move about watching for flank attacks. They usually take out any lone wolf attacks or warn the line of a large flank attack.

If you have players who know what they are doing as officers you can take on a larger force that doesn't.

In the game all local orders are by voice (game has its own in game voice channel. It is localize and falls off with distance so an officer can only control a rather short piece of line. It has a text message system as well but I am not sure the enemy can't see it too. Although, I haven't checked into this. I know the keyboard commands for it include "Enter" for chat text, "comma" for global chat, and "Period" for Team Chat but they may not be fully implemented. Also, not sure what will happen if players start using TeamSpeak to coordinate actions across the field.

The game is intended to fight like historical. It has flag bearer's to act as focal points for large lines. For people who form "companies" which are the equivalent of guilds in other online games, they have non-commission officers who are suppose to act as line anchors on the flanks.

Also, the uniforms if you look in the pictures I have so far posted are very hard to tell apart. As you play it gets easier but just yesterday I got shot point blank by one of my own side. In spite of choosing the most "Yankee" looking uniform I could. Guy must have been color blind. But I did almost the same thing later in the day when I came on another Union soldier using on of the "green" uniforms that side has. Unfortunately for the quality of my shooting, I missed at 10 yards. Then I tried to bayonet him and missed too. He chewed me out for that. Asked why I could "see" his buckles which apparently are unique for that uniform. I didn't ruin his day by telling him if he keeps wearing that green uniform with out some "blue" people around he is going get shot every battle by his own side.

Embarrassing thing: The game messages only announce one kind of kill. When you shoot someone on your own team and does it globally so everyone knows how stupid you are. :oops:

They haven't brought the "drill fields" back but they are badly needed. You can't tell in game if you are hitting anything at 100 yards. At 10 to 20 you can see the person fall but at 100 you need to know whether you are sighted correctly and for that you need the drill field. Melee is also difficult to master. That is because you can't kill someone just because you have a bayonet. You have to stick them with it by a left click. For it to strike you have to be the right distance from the target and in melee mode. This is really hard to do in an actual melee. Bayonets work well when making a frontal attack but are very hard to use once everyone gets mixed up together and to close. There is a non-bayonet mode where you swing your rifle which is better for these close encounters. But the officers dominate in close contact because their pistol can be easily used at short range and their swords don't have the draw back of requiring almost a ten foot separation from your target to work.

Other little bits of realism in the game are if you mount your bayonet your shooting suffers. The gun aiming becomes difficult due to motion limiting you to hitting at only about 100 feet. You have to take the bayonet off if you want to ever hit anyone at 100 yards.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:51 am 

And here is the Sunken Road. Mostly a fight between Yankees trying to charge it and take the fence line.

And, here is a link to a video made by WoR people on a charge to take the Sunken Road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qjT-tX88gY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:55 pm 

They have added two more skirmish fights to the Alpha game.

The fourth in series is a woods fight which I never caught a post showing the name of.

The fifth just released is called "Dawns Early Light" since game wise it occurs with the sun just beginning to rise. But it looks like it is based on Hooker's initial advance through the cornfield. Here is a player shot video of apparently their first time in it since no seems to know where they are going. Few to many people trying to command but about 10 minutes into it there is a good example of how charge and melee works in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iX-FY_p_4c&t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:23 pm 

Maybe it slipped my attention in previous videos but that we see in this one that there is more going on than just the players actions is very nice.
The short glimpse of artillery on the left firing in the twilight looks fabulous and that gives the felling that you are in a big battle and not just fighting versus a handful of opponents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:56 pm 

They have added a number of improvements and announced some future changes.

First they have given selected players control of a "cinematic spectating camera. Apparently that will allow a few players to record "skirmishes" in great detail from multiple angles. These are then put together in a UTube video after the skirmish. Don't know how that works but apparently they can make the results available quite quickly. They are mostly doing this with planned events coupled with tactics discussions after on the Drill Camp servers. There version of "Talking Dead" I guess.

Here is one from June 22nd. It is rather long and shows the battle and affects of shooting on both sides. Also, includes some melees so you can see how that works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_IZv_W9XA0

They are putting thes out on their own UTube channel and it looks like it will be weekly.

They also announce a new playable class, Musicians (fife, drum and bugle).
They can play signals as well as tunes like Dixie.
Which I guess are going to be used for target practice by the rest of us. :mrgreen:

There are also a bunch of new player created videos if you want me to post the links to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

Sure post the links, that video was already interesting.
The new class is also interesting, wonder if they will consider adding artillery crew and cavalry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 am 

I am not sure what their long term plans are for cavalry and artillery. Right now all the exploding shells you see in the video are from game generated off map fire. It still will kill you but it is a random thing. At least twice I have been with groups preparing to attack and had the bad luck of the off map artillery hitting our position wiping out most of the attack group.

Here are some links to player created videos. I haven't watched them yet so don't know which ones are good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZnVC-aFAO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xID2nOS_zMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2Ub81Dqo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4T8BJXTU5Y

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:21 am 

This is an older video but it takes you on a tour of the Virtual battlefield of Antietam WoR has created. It also demonstrates the graphics they created for the game. In the Skirmishes there isn't much time to admire what they have created as a background to the fights but this video gives you a sample of. Also, gives a short historical lecture in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0yV1Nbx4uU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 pm 

Imagine how amazingly good and realistic and immersive something like this will be in 10 or 20 years. How mind bogglingly good in 50 years and beyond. VR, anyone? Then just imagine how advanced the development tools will be, how much easier it will be to produce content like this, so it won't be the same old same old Gettysburg and Antietam all the time but just about any Civil War (etc.) engagement you please. :shock: Live the dream!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 pm 

Berto wrote:
Imagine how amazingly good and realistic and immersive something like this will be in 10 or 20 years. How mind bogglingly good in 50 years and beyond. VR, anyone? Then just imagine how advanced the development tools will be, how much easier it will be to produce content like this, so it won't be the same old same old Gettysburg and Antietam all the time but just about any Civil War (etc.) engagement you please. :shock: Live the dream!

In fifty years you will just put the plug in the back of your head. And, you will be inside the Matrix. :mrgreen: