American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 pm 

C. Hecht wrote:
I'm not aware that any 6pdr were build in the late war, what is here are surely modified guns only. Even the ANV send back their 6pdrs to recast them to 12pdr, by the time of Gettysburg there was just a single 6pdr field gun in the ANV left.
Problem in my eyes is that the naming does not really reflect the modification, you simply can't use the weight anymore as benchmark for the weapons performance to compare a modified 6pdr with a none modified 12pdr.

One thing to keep in mind, is that in Petersburg, the weapons in question, are not used. At least, I don't think they are, I can't recall. Point them out if you see one. But on the pdt, "all" weapon types are visible.

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:36 pm 

Rich Walker wrote:
C. Hecht wrote:
I'm not aware that any 6pdr were build in the late war, what is here are surely modified guns only. Even the ANV send back their 6pdrs to recast them to 12pdr, by the time of Gettysburg there was just a single 6pdr field gun in the ANV left.
Problem in my eyes is that the naming does not really reflect the modification, you simply can't use the weight anymore as benchmark for the weapons performance to compare a modified 6pdr with a none modified 12pdr.

One thing to keep in mind, is that in Petersburg, the weapons in question, are not used. At least, I don't think they are, I can't recall. Point them out if you see one. But on the pdt, "all" weapon types are visible.

Hi, Rich,

There is one in the Jerusalem Plank Road scenario.

But the larger issue is the variations in weapons effectiveness over PDTs in the other games. A Napoleon should be as effective in Georgia as it is in Virginia. In either case, I believe it
should be significantly more effective at close range than a 3" rifle. For what it's worth, I think they overdid it in the Overland package, where a Napoleon is over twice as effective as
a 3" rifle at one hex. I hope as the Civil War titles conclude a standard PDT file that makes sense will apply to all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:38 pm 

Now, I worked through all the weapons in the PDTs and in comparison to Overland all none-artillery weapons got lower values while all artillery has gotten higher. On 1 hex it's not that much but rather high fire values are kept in ranges up to 10 hexes. Usually we had a quick drop in that range and after that a slow decline of the fire values till max range, now the decline is rather straight from the start and runs more in a straight line instead of a curve.
Just wonder what reasons are there to make artillery so different from all previous games.

mihalik wrote:
I hope as the Civil War titles conclude a standard PDT file that makes sense will apply to all.

Standard PDT may be nice but the designer always has to consider all factors, starting from quality/availability of various ammo types up to tactical doctrine of artillery and the many other factors that should be considered. That may lead to a 12pdr in 1861 having not the same values as a 12pdr in 1864, and this for one or more good reasons.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Last edited by Christian Hecht on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 pm 

mihalik wrote:
Rich Walker wrote:
C. Hecht wrote:

Hi, Rich,

But the larger issue is the variations in weapons effectiveness over PDTs in the other games. A Napoleon should be as effective in Georgia as it is in Virginia. In either case, I believe it
should be significantly more effective at close range than a 3" rifle. For what it's worth, I think they overdid it in the Overland package, where a Napoleon is over twice as effective as
a 3" rifle at one hex. I hope as the Civil War titles conclude a standard PDT file that makes sense will apply to all.

Because these games have been created over a twenty year span, some of the uniformity has broken down, so with the new updates being worked on we intend to create uniformity in the game basics. Not everyone will like the changes, but at least, uniformity will be the norm.

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 pm 

mihalik wrote:
Rich Walker wrote:
C. Hecht wrote:

Hi, Rich,

Because these games have been created over a twenty year span, some of the uniformity has broken down, so with the new updates being worked on we intend to create uniformity in the game basics. Not everyone will like the changes, but at least, uniformity will be the norm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm 

1. Still to fix is the minor but annoying bug that weapons with a fire value of zero on the first range are not showing up in the in-game PDT screen. Currently the missing weapons are in slot d, e & v in all PDTs, these are all weapons with a fire value of zero on 1 hex.

2. Note sure if the weapon is used at all but "Multiple Arms" gets 300 fire value at 1 hex in certain PDTs, I guess that is a typo as Petersburg6406.pdt uses normal values. The 300 shows up in following PDTs:
_CWB_Petersburg_CSA.pdt
_CWB_Petersburg_CSA (Weather).pdt
_CWB_Petersburg_USA.pdt
_CWB_Petersburg_USA (Weather).pdt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:06 am 

C. Hecht wrote:
1. Still to fix is the minor but annoying bug that weapons with a fire value of zero on the first range are not showing up in the in-game PDT screen. Currently the missing weapons are in slot d, e & v in all PDTs, these are all weapons with a fire value of zero on 1 hex.

2. Note sure if the weapon is used at all but "Multiple Arms" gets 300 fire value at 1 hex in certain PDTs, I guess that is a typo as Petersburg6406.pdt uses normal values. The 300 shows up in following PDTs:
_CWB_Petersburg_CSA.pdt
_CWB_Petersburg_CSA (Weather).pdt
_CWB_Petersburg_USA.pdt
_CWB_Petersburg_USA (Weather).pdt

300 is a typo, and I don't think it is used, but I corrected it. The others are mortars, and can't be fired at 1 hex, not enough arc at 125 yards.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:31 pm 

Rich Walker wrote:

I'm glad that this is finally being considered, and hopefully the weather and supply wagon movement is also part of the standardization plan. I'm currently playing a Vicksburg and an Antietam pbem and those Maryland supply wagons are hot rods compared to the Mississippi ones; it seems like a no-brainer that this should be fixed. (Let me know if you need help with these tasks).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:25 pm 

I have reevaluated the weapons data on the PDTs. They will be included with the new updates coming in a few weeks. They will be incorporated into all the games of the series. I have given the files to Joe, so if he can attach them here, I would welcome comments. I forgot how to attach files on the MB. Other MBs make it easy, but not here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:41 pm 

Unfortunately the forum does not allow the uploading of PDT files at this time, but I do have copies of Rich's latest work and will be glad to send these along. as best as I can, to anyone who cares to e-mail me for them. Otherwise, as Rich said, the files will be included in the pending update.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 pm 

Rich Walker wrote:
I have reevaluated the weapons data on the PDTs. They will be included with the new updates coming in a few weeks. They will be incorporated into all the games of the series. I have given the files to Joe, so if he can attach them here, I would welcome comments. I forgot how to attach files on the MB. Other MBs make it easy, but not here.

Thanks, Rich!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:50 pm 

Although I had pointed it out myself I think the strange 300 fire value in weapon slot l (Multiple Arms) was purposely set so. I found a unit in the "July 30 1864.oob" called "Mine" with just a single men using that weapon slot. That OOB is used only in the scenarios "034 The Crater, July 30th, 1864.scn" & "035w The Crater, July 30th, 1864.scn".
If that is really meant to simulate a mine I recommend to add another PDT that keeps the 300 in slot and change the PDT used in these 2 scenarios. That way this "Mine" can be used by these scenarios and by future variants/3rd party scenarios that what to utilize a mine, this way it's also assured that any unit using the "normal" Multiple Arms can use it in the main PDTs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:51 am 

C. Hecht wrote:
Although I had pointed it out myself I think the strange 300 fire value in weapon slot l (Multiple Arms) was purposely set so. I found a unit in the "July 30 1864.oob" called "Mine" with just a single men using that weapon slot. That OOB is used only in the scenarios "034 The Crater, July 30th, 1864.scn" & "035w The Crater, July 30th, 1864.scn".
If that is really meant to simulate a mine I recommend to add another PDT that keeps the 300 in slot and change the PDT used in these 2 scenarios. That way this "Mine" can be used by these scenarios and by future variants/3rd party scenarios that what to utilize a mine, this way it's also assured that any unit using the "normal" Multiple Arms can use it in the main PDTs.

I believe the mine detonation uses the penalty for being too close to a reinforcement hex. I'm not sure what 'multiple arms' means, since you already have 'mixed arms'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:55 pm 

mihalik wrote:
C. Hecht wrote:

I believe the mine detonation uses the penalty for being too close to a reinforcement hex. I'm not sure what 'multiple arms' means, since you already have 'mixed arms'.

No need to over complicate things. It's no longer a 300, as the 300 had no significance. It's a mine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm 

Worked a bit through the scenarios and found some minor things:
1. Scenario titles that can be confused
Usually the scenario titles for variants/what-Ifs do at least differ by the addition of the Roman II, III, IV, etc, but some titles don't follow this path and should be corrected. The scenarios are:
046(uses already Roman I in title what is usual not used)
047(uses already Roman I in title what is usual not used)
048(uses already 2 in title what is usual not used)
049(uses already 2 in title what is usual not used)

2. Titles wrong
Some titles are obviously wrong:
081 "Hatcher's Run_Weather, Feb 6th, 1865" That titles differs from 080.
099 "Five Forks II, April 1st, 1865" It's variant III not II.
139 "Appomattox I, April 9th, 1865 Weather" That titles differs from 138.

3. Titles of AI scenarios
These usually start with CWB_ but some don't:
224w
224x

4. Number of turns of weather & none weather variant diffe.
Usually these are the same and there maybe be reasons that the number of turns differ but it's just not clear if intended or an error:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next