American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:11 pm 

I arrived on the field about 10:00 am just as General Cutler’s brigade was rushing to take position on McPherson’s ridge. The ridge itself runs all the way across my front beginning with a small orchard and woodlot nestled in a slight depression on the left, and slopes upward heading toward the NE. Presently, Calef’s Battery (A 2nd US) was already occupying the ridge and engaged with the rebel batteries that were on an opposing ridge some 900+ yards to the NW. Cutler had his brigade arranged with 147th NY and the 56th PA holding his right flank, and the 76th NY poised to enter a railroad cut that bisects the ridge. His remaining two regiments, the Zouaves of 84th NY, as well as the 95th NY. The remainder of my command, Meredith’s Iron Brigade was close at hand, just to the south (off map) as well as the 6 Iron Rifles of Hall’s Battery (2nd ME Lt.) coming up the pike from the direction of town.

10:00 Turn

The situation was critical, as the Rebel guns on the opposing ridge line opened up with counter battery fire against the two forward sections of Calef’s Battery. In short order two of the four guns had been knocked out. Meanwhile, the faithful gunners tried to target the rebel infantry as they advanced upon us. The portion of the reb line they targeted was in a sort of depression just on the west side of a small stream ahead of them, causing the gunners to target their guns too high, and most of the projectiles screamed over top of the rebs and burst into the slope behind them. Orders were sent to Cutler’s brigade to take possession of the ridge on the right flank of my line. In support, Hall’s battery was ordered to take up position about a 100 yards back from the main line so that if Cutler were to be forced back, the rebs would face canister at point blank range.
On the left, the Iron Brigade had arrived with their band playing “The Campbells Are Coming.” Meredith’s regiments expertly deployed into battle array and advanced NW into the wood lot. I ordered General Wadsworth close to his lines to boost morale, and I accompanied the 6th Wisconsin on the right of Meredith’s line.

ilovetiaca@gmail.com

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:42 am 

Daniel - I like the added touch of noting that the Iron Brigade played "The Campbell's are Coming" (just as at Gettysburg in real life). I'm playing 'Wayne' for my first PBEM and he is a tough opponent.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am 

Nice in-character AAR, hope it continues that way.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."