American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 pm 

Interesting, playing single scenarios you usually see the map again and without Fow. I guess because this is campaign it is wanted this way, no recon for free.
Thanks for the AAR.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am 

Now that the battle is finished, I can give my side of the story as best as I can recall. For the time being, my opponent, Thomas Wayne said he was going to be doing AARs for the Peninsula Campaign we are battling out. I would like to be able to do my own AARs, but at present, my living situation is a little out of sorts and it is just too big a task to do. However, when the battles are complete, I will try to offer my point of view. Should be interesting...

This battle was greatly annoying to me as I started out with quite a few troops, but most of them except about 5 brigades were fixed. The one release was that I was supposed to have another division unfix at noon. I marched my guys across the swamp and into the woods, headed for the extreme right of the Rebel line. I only lightly prodded on the left because the works there were extensive and I believed there was little chance of success. On the other hand, if I could secure a large foothold on the right I would then be able to flank the rest of the rebel line and force them back out of their trenches.

There was great initial success in securing a place, but things started happening that soured the day. Firstly, I made the mistake of engaging on the right, which happened to be Dane Sickels and the Excelsior Brigade; the fighting quickly escalated so that just backing off was not a great option. I stuck it out toe to toe, trying to melee and break the green Rebel regiments. Big mistake, as Dan Sickels was killed in a charge. From that point on I started having command problems. Not saying that he was the cause of that, as he only had a brigade, but it just seemed like from that point on most of the regiments were fighting under the command of their own regimental officers instead of their superiors. Tons of routs and disorders.

At one point I had a turn where the situation was really critical. The message said "reinforcements have arrived," and I thought Yes! Just in the nick of time!!! The reinforcements were NOT that division I was waiting on. It ended up being Little Mac and 25 cavalry. I tell you what...talk about somebody wanting to cuss like a sailor! In my mind I envisioned that scene in the beginning of Gladiator where they've already fought and are in camp again. Then Commodus arrives on his horse, "Have I missed it??? Have I missed the battle???"

I figured that at least since he was here he would ensure that my division was released on time. Nope. While my troops were being cut to pieces, Mac was standing around with his hands in his pockets letting the grass grow under his feet. The division was released and hour and 40 minutes late...5 turns!!!

The rest is history...my reinforcements didn't even arrive to the front until about the last turn of the scenario. This was a major defeat for my army today, but there will be another battle tomorrow. Morale is low here. Have the band strike up a tune...something upbeat...(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8NBkCCcgBc).

ilovetiaca@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 pm 

Greatly done, gentlemen! I enjoyed reading this and hope you do another. I'd love to see more such AAR's so well done.

How Mahone survived that battle is a mystery to me. Sometimes opponents try to shoot up a regiment rather than just capturing it ASAP once it is isolated. In my opinion once a unit is isolated it is time to bag it rather than try to save a few men and shoot them all to death.

Huzzah for the Southland!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:51 pm 

Wyre wrote:
Greatly done, gentlemen! I enjoyed reading this and hope you do another. I'd love to see more such AAR's so well done.

How Mahone survived that battle is a mystery to me. Sometimes opponents try to shoot up a regiment rather than just capturing it ASAP once it is isolated. In my opinion once a unit is isolated it is time to bag it rather than try to save a few men and shoot them all to death.

Huzzah for the Southland!

I think Daniel threw everything had at Mahone. With most forces being D quality a lot of his units were disrupted. Having two arty sections in one hex meant that they broke up some melee attacks before they ever got started.

Image Image