American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm 

Chris,

Do you use a mod to get your unit counters to display as different colors? If so, which one. I usually don't install mods but I might if it's stable.

Good game; it is odd (but strangely satisfying) to see CSA troops rout.

VIII Corps

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:12 pm 

He likely uses the Brigade Color feature, you can activate it in the View menu.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 pm 

Jay Hightower wrote:
Chris,

Do you use a mod to get your unit counters to display as different colors? If so, which one. I usually don't install mods but I might if it's stable.

Good game; it is odd (but strangely satisfying) to see CSA troops rout.

Jay,

BG Hecht is correct. It is an option under the view menu. I believe it is about 2/3rds of the way down the menu.

I find it very helpful to keep my troops organized by brigade. It also provides more information at a glance then you would normally receive without providing information overload.

Lots of routs this game. I believe my entire force is D quality except for a couple regiment. This is to reflect how green they were. D units rout and often take the whole brigade with them when ROUT LIMITING is off. Which provide some interesting moments.

The troops you fought against on our game were battle hardened veterans of many campaigns. They are a lot easier for me to manage. As an example the 14th Virginia Infantry is D quality in this game. In Raid On Stephensons Depot it is a B quality unit. B quality units don't rout often, D will sometimes rout from low losses even when not fatigued.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm 

CSA Turn 15 (13:00)

Had a couple regiments rout.

It is getting harder to include the whole battlefield in one screen shot, so I am going to break the details down into the right side and left side of the battlefield. This overall shot is included for perspective. There is a rather large gap between the two sections of my line. I have wondered if Daniel has troops infiltrating through this area. I doubt he does. It is such dense terrain that travel will be slower then a 23 turn scenario allows. Or so I think.

Victory Dialog at turn start

On my right Daniel didn't do anything noteworthy. I was hoping he would attack. That means it is time for Lee to attack. I moved the infantry forward to the elevation line this turn. About 1/3 of the arty has been limbered up. I am leaving some in place in case he moves forward to the elevation line this turn. My arty should be able to fire over the heads of my infantry if he does (but I am not positive). I see no reason why Daniel will move forward but I sure hope he does.

Turn Start Right

Turn End Right

My left is a mess after Daniel's last movement. He is coming close to surrounding half my troops in this area. I really thought he would be more worn out by now. What is more disturbing is there are Union regiments coming across White Oak Swamp attacking my flank and getting behind my second line. Not all can be seen in the screenshot since the regiment that spotted them ran from the area. I am sending a courier to Armistead with a gift wrapped potato peeler. Hopefully he will get the hint that if he can't command troops there is always KP duty.

My first line was caved in on the right. That was a pretty week regiment I had protecting the right. I am not really too surprised. A positive sign is this was the only melee attack he launched. I take this as a sign his troops are tired or disrupted.

Here is a picture with the objective hexes shown. A few turns ago I thought the VPs from these hexes would decide the game. Not thinking that way anymore. I think if Daniel surrounds that front line and captures the troops or guns then that will decide the game. If he can't capture them then he probably cannot capture the objective hexes either. I wish I knew how many troops are coming across White Oak Swamp.

I only really have two choices in this area. Stand and fight or run. Because of the unknown amount of Yanks coming across White Oak Swamp I am not against running. The problem is I don't think I can get Mahone's guns out of the trap they are in. Limbered artillery doesn't move well in the woods and the trails aren't heading in the correct directions.

So, I decide to stay. Once again, I feel like the Yanks have to be tired and I don't see McClellan launching a general offensive. It is a gamble, but I am going to stay and even move a couple regiments forward.

Larger view at end of turn

End of turn Victory Dialog

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm 

CSA Turn 16 (13:20)

No new routs but one unit contined to run as you shall see.

An overall screen shot of turn start. Daniel launched two melee attacks against Armistead's Brigade. One was against a regiment routed last turn that was stacked with an Arty battery. It held, even though the routed unit continued to run this turn.

No new routs, I guess Armistead figured out what the potato peeler was for...lol.

In Lee's AO Daniel didn't move forward like I wanted.

So forward Lee sent his boys. Casualties were high on both sides. I think several of his regiments should turn tail and run.

Huger is still in trouble but the turn start looks worse then it really is. As long as a whole brigade isn't getting ready to fall on his rear.

Huger tightens up his line. Flanks are still at risk. His troops inflict heavy casualties on the enemy. The Arty is very deadly. Huger is down to about 2,000 effective infantry and 15 Guns.

End of turn screen shot

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm 

Thanks for the clarification about brigade colors. I've had some of these games since the 90s and I still haven't pushed all the buttons...

This will be a long game. I think I read on the forums that the 'record' is about 150 turns or so. I'm be reading intently.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:06 pm 

CSA Turn 17 (13:40)

Regiments rally and reorganize

Screen shot at turn beginning

On my right Daniel advances against the far right.

I pull the far right back a bit to take advantage of studding my line with Arty. There are Arty guns under those infantry regiments. If I moved them forward into his zone of control they would have lost their remaining movement points and would have had to remain limbered. That isn't a good idea within one hex of infantry. So I placed the guns then had the infantry pull back. If Daniel presses his attack then the guns are going to hurt him. If he pulls back the guns will fire then I will pursue with the infantry.

I have run into Kearny and his C Quality troops. They are going to be tough.

On my left the Union attack is much weaker then past turns, but they did end up getting a regiment behind Mahone. If he had meleed and won he would have captured some guns. He didn't melee. I was thankful.

Huger adjusts some of the regiments in the line. One of Armisteads regiments even pushes forward in the trenches and flanks a union regiment.

The bad news is Mahone changes an Arty section facing and the crew gets killed as union troops fire on them.

I inflicted some massive casualties on Daniel during this turn. He lost 465 to my 65. As of right now I have a Minor Victory.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm 

CSA Turn 18 (14:00)

Couple units routed during the Union turn.

Turn Start

Turn Start Victory Dialog

On my right Daniel begins a withdrawal. Not as many Yank regiments as there were at the end of my last turn. He must have had a lot of routs. Although I am sure some are hiding in the woods and others below the elevation line.

I advance forward slow and organised. No need to rush.

Huger's area of operations, my left, is a mess. The regiments on the left routed, a lone Union regiment is behind the remaining guns. There are few organized troops left to do anything about this. If Huger survives this he is gonna need some R and R.

Huger moves two regiment to protect his guns as best as he can. It isn't much, but Daniel doesn't seem to have much left either.

End Turn Victory Dialog

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

Fun to watch. I'm a Big Mac man. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 am 

CSA Turn 19 (14:20)

You know the Union turn was rough on you when you have to scroll through the Command Report and post two screen shots.
Note that Armistead has been shipped of to KP duty. He hardly went a turn without a regiment or two routing.

Here is the turn start. It is not showing the routs. I will show those below in some more detailed screenshots.

Victory Dialog at turn start.

My right at turn start. All is good here. No routs.

During my movement I had to make a choice. Keep a compact division strength advance heading southeast, or break off Garlands brigade to head northeast to relieve Huger. I'm going with the second even though it greatly weakens my attack.

My left is completely shattered. This is bad. I expected to rout significant amounts of Yanks. That was my gamble, and I lost. Now I wish I had abandoned Mahone's guns long ago. Trying to save them has lead to many isolated units. I'm going to lose the guns and infantry regiments. I HATE to lose whole units. If a regiment loses every man but the flag bearer I'm ok. Let that flag be captured and I rage.

I did get a surprising number of units out of the trouble area. Mahone and Huger are stuck. They have the 12th Virginia Infantry and a 2 section Arty Battery. I could have moved the routed regiment from Armistead's Brigade (brown units) onto them but that would have made it too easy on Daniel to kill Mahone next turn. So I leave that regiment to die but slow down the Yanks as they round up the prisoners next turn. Mahone has the 12th Va facing one direction and each gun section facing another. BTW, one gun section is also being manned by the infantry soldiers of the 12th Virginia as the crew was killed earlier in the day.

End of turn screenshot

Zoomed out view

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:10 pm 

CSA Turn 20 (14:40)

Another Command Report that is going to take two screen shots. That isn't good but it isn't as bad as last turn.

Zoomed out view of turn start

...and the normal view

...and the Victory Dialog at turn start.

On my right the Union line fell back, some units probably routed.

I send Garlands Brigade off screen to the NE to relieve Mahone on my left. Ransom and Wright continue to push ahead. Arty support moves forward in spots.

On my right there are routs and rallies. A real whirlwind of a fight. The 12th Virginia is in good order even though it is surrounded.

The 12th Virginia performs a parade ground move. They wheel two hexsides to the right. Then march rearward firing as they go. They drag to Arty guns with them. All this while under fire. The rebel yells emitted from Garland's Brigade give the 12th hope. Garland pours fire into the rear of a Union regiment.

Zoomed out view at turns end

...and a normal view. The flanks are cut off from the screen shot due to the size of the battle. It is mostly skirmishing on the flanks so not much is missed.

Victory Dialog at turns end.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:56 pm 

CSA Turn 21 (15:00)

Command Report(s)

Zoomed out view at turn start. The 12th Virginia seems lost in a sea of blue.

Normal View

Victory Dialog at turn start. There are going to be a lot of casualties this turn.

Right at turn start. Lots of gaps in the union line.

I break the compact brigade lines I prefer, in order to exploit these gaps.

On the left Garland presses his attack.

A gun section crew is killed in the process.

The situation is dire for Huger, Mahone, and the 12th Virginia. Isolated, low on ammo, disrupted...they unlimber the artillery and prepare for their final stand, yet hopeful Garland will reach them in time.

Garland's men engage in hand to hand combat in a desperate effort to reach Mahone.

Left at the end of turn. It looks like the 12th VA might survive after all.

End of turn Normal view.

End of turn Victory Dialog. Over 500 union infantry casualties this turn. I am barely back to a minor victory.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 pm 

CSA Turn 22 (15:20)

Command Report

Zoomed out view at turn start

Normal view

Victory Dialog at start

Right side start, it looks as if applying pressure at the gaps in Daniel's line has paid off.

A couple melee attacks in the center.

End of turn on right, I have really hurt him and recaptured the VP hex in this area.

Turn start on left. Mahone and the 12th Virginia survived. Mahone is going to get a medal.

End of turn. Not much occured, just finally forming a line. There are a couple objective hexes in the area I can try to recapture but I think I will play it safe.

End of turn screenshot

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 am 

CSA Turn 23 (15:40) Final Turn

Not a bad Command Report

Zoomed out view at turn start. There is an actual extended line on the left.

Normal view turn start. The routs I suffered are no big deal.

Victory Dialog at turn start. Pretty solid Minor Victory at this point. I'm a long ways from a Major Victory.

Right side start. I am going to be able to hurt some Union units.

An overrun attack against a surrounded routed unit during the melee phase.

I capture some guns

A successful attack against a disrupted regiment and limbered artillery. I missed the casualty report but it was fairly close.

Right side end of turn

Left side turn start. I could sit tight. Line has been reestablished. But I want to reoccupy the trenches and recapture the VPs in them.

So I attack hand to hand and capture a VP hex.

The attack continues down the line.

Turn end left side

Left and Right at turn end. Most of the old trenches have been recaptured.

End of turn Victory Dialog. I barely have a Major Victory. Daniel has this turn to try and gain 28 VPs.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm 

Scenario Ends

Seems kinda anti-climatic but that is all I have for you. I thought I would be able to see the map one last time but that message was all I received. Nice message though... :D

And the battle shifts to the north for the next scenario in the campaign.

Image Image