American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Abatis and melee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm 

My opponent and I would like club member's opinions on meleeing along road hexsides through abatis. is it like a bridge hexside and you can melee in column or should they be treated differently?

XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Abatis and melee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm 

What you are talking about is a house rule made between the two opponents. Hopefully you are aware that club/game rules do not prohibit melee in column anywhere/anytime. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with opponents agreeing to anything, such as limiting melee in column, or limiting night fighting or night movement, or not allowing the Rebs to attack at anytime during the scenario, or agreeing that the Union wins no matter what the scorecard says.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm 

Gen Simms is not joking about those last two rules, he tried to get me to agree to them :mrgreen:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:44 pm 

cameronm wrote:
Gen Simms is not joking about those last two rules, he tried to get me to agree to them :mrgreen:

Well that does not surprise me, He IS the most interesting man in the Union army..in fact The Holy Grail is looking for him.... :shock:

XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am 

Another thing with abatis is that as an attacker, you don't see the abatis unless you are adjacent to them (this is the case in woods or possibly you can see them if they are in a hex visible to you at the start of your turn?) . Presumably, this is due to the game designer wanting the attacker to either prudently slow down his advance, or run the risk of "blundering" into them. The question is: is it "the done thing" to "study" the scenario to check out where the abatis are? This is similar to checking what what and where the opposition is before a battle starts. I assume that virtually everyone is OK with the later point (as there is no way of controlling it and probably deemed to be part of the game - although it is more exciting and realistic if all you had was an indication of what enemy forces you are facing and approximatley where they start) but is knowing where the abatis are a good or a bad thing - and/or upset the balance of the battle?

Perhaps it depends on whether it is the Union or the Rebs attacking?

"He walked with long, ungraceful strides, enormous feet adding to the spectacle, and he sat a horse as if leaning into a strong wind."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:34 pm 

Hi,

My vote is melee in column anywhere anytime. But many if not most players don't agree. There have been a couple of threads in the past discussing the pros and cons.

My personal preference is to examine a scenario in detail before and even while I'm playing it, and I expect my opponent to do the same, though we have played a couple blind. So hiding abatis is usually wasted on me. As I recall, most of the abatis I have come across has been in front of fortifications, so if you prefer to play blind scout the avenues of approach before conducting an attack. I don't think skirmishers will work though.

Problem being anyone who has played a scenario already has an advantage over someone who hasn't. Anyway, clarify everything ahead of time with your opponent like General Ned said,
and you should be OK.

PS: Here is what I believe to be the last thread on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20655&hilit=melee+in+column

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:09 pm 

mihalik wrote:
Hi,

My vote is melee in column anywhere anytime. But many if not most players don't agree. There have been a couple of threads in the past discussing the pros and cons.

My personal preference is to examine a scenario in detail before and even while I'm playing it, and I expect my opponent to do the same, though we have played a couple blind. So hiding abatis is usually wasted on me. As I recall, most of the abatis I have come across has been in front of fortifications, so if you prefer to play blind scout the avenues of approach before conducting an attack. I don't think skirmishers will work though.

Problem being anyone who has played a scenario already has an advantage over someone who hasn't. Anyway, clarify everything ahead of time with your opponent like General Ned said,
and you should be OK.

PS: Here is what I believe to be the last thread on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20655&hilit=melee+in+column

I agree with and prefer to play as the game allows, no special rules. But I am willing to play with any house rule if my opponent requires it. And I too suggest that to keep things equal, examine the scenario before playing. However, I like designing meeting engagements with reinforcements being likely to appear in multiple areas and at different times. These types of games are always blind.

Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Antietam, Atlanta, Chancellorsville, Petersburg and Shenandoah