American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:40 pm 

First, check the parameter data files and see what the penalties are for night movement and night melee. Then plan accordingly.

Even if the night movement penalty is 50 you can at least move a couple of times with fresh units and expect them to recover well before dawn.

The melee penalty is usually severe, but if you manage to rout some enemy units, they generally have trouble rallying at night.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:18 pm 

Thanks for responding, Mike.

I don't have an eidetic memory, but from playing before, I think that the night movement penalty is 50.

That brings up another issue I've been meaning to ask about. Where is the parameter data file (what is it named, where is it located, etc.)? The online manual provides some of the data descriptions, and other parts of the manual refer to it, but I have no idea how to find it.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 pm 

Jay

Click on the Help Tab.

A tab for Paramter Data will appear. Faster yet, hit the F2 key.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 pm 

Thanks, Walt.

Turn 31 of 156 finds the CSA closing in on Cemetery Hill. I think that Mark has figured out that there are no troops between Cemetery Hill and Little Round Top. He's advancing at Wolf Hill (I had to look that up) and from the Peach Orchard. I'm pulling the 11th Corps artillery back, but one crew was killed, which delayed that section (I've got the section recrewed). I Corps is shifting south, planning to reestablish a line at the summit of Cemetery Hill.

Mark and I agreed on a couple of house rules for the night: no night combat or night attacks from column. Mark says he usually plays with those rules. Thinking about it, we may have agreed to no attacks from column at all; I'll have to clarify. I can see how a night attack from column might seem a little gamey, since it seems to work around night line movement disruption.

Sickles' lead elements are deploying in the woods south of the Peach Orchard, so Stannard is moving cross-country to Little Round Top.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm 

OK, the game got interrupted because of my kitchen renovation, but I just sent off a turn to Mark. I've got a couple of screenshots I'm going to post, but I'm pretty much done for the night...

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 am 

I'm looking forward to the screen shots. That is some tough breaks with your right routing like it did. What was the average quality of those units?

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm 

Hi Chris - the right wing is the 11th Corps, so C and D quality.

Here is the Gettysburg area (notice the red arrows! Got 'em on the screenshot):

Here is the Little Round Top area:

Phase 1 of my kitchen renovation is complete. I'm trying to minimize disruption as much as practicable. Phase 1 included some work on the den, taking the kitchen exterior walls to the studs, installing insulation, installing a couple of outlets and removing others, and paint. Now I'm trying to get everything clean and orderly before I start to demo for Phase 2. I decided on Sherwin Williams' Historic color palette, and started with 'Colonial Yellow' in the kitchen (a color I didn't know if I'd like), and 'Light French Gray' in the den. I don't care for the disruption, but I like the results.

The first time I thought 'double envelopment' I should have stopped supply wagons and artillery from entering the pocket, plus stopped the 11th Corps from expanding the 'fortress' / pocket. The second time I thought 'double envelopment' I should have started pulling back artillery and forming a line at the summit of Cemetery Hill. As it is, the 11th Corps will be lucky to save a corporal's guard. I have hopes to get most of I Corps to Little Round Top. I stuck with the fortress thinking that my reinforcements would arrive at the battle field in time - they did not.

I've got several batteries captured, abandoned, or unscrewed. My center is a mess, but I'm hoping the shoulders can hold until morning. Hope is not a plan, but it's what I've got. The 3rd Corps has a decent position south of the Peach Orchard, but there's a mystery division located to the west somewhere. The 12th Corps is partly trapped in the pocket, partly at Power's Hill, and partly off map. They'll try to stand for awhile then regroup at the Ekenrodes (96,88) farm victory location.
The 3rd Division 2nd Corps arrives at the Taneytown Road next turn and will advance to LTR - they might make it around night.

VIII Corps

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm 

Looks messy, could you please take a screenshot of the optional rules?

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:18 am 

That is a pretty tough situation you are in Jay. I wish you the best of luck. I hope to see more of your AAR soon. I need to get caught up on mine, real life has slowed me down...lol.

Image Image