American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:54 am 

ACWGC's Lt. Gen. Randy Brooks currently serves as the Chief of Staff for the Union Army of the Tennessee and has told me a number of things concerning his part-time involvement with the BGES. In his last muster report, posted in the Conference Hall of the AotT's Eagle Perch Forum, he talked some more about it, and I wanted to share it with everyone with Randy's approval.

What I can report is that I was out on the Petersburg battlefield two weeks ago taking a tour sponsored by the Blue & Grey Education Society (BGES). I mentioned this organization last month as being a Charitable foundation involved in improving CW battlefields with appropriate signage, donating replica cannons to be placed on appropriate sites, as well as providing guided tours to military members who are recovering from their battle injuries and who participate in their recovery program by taking part in what is known as the Wounded Warrior Project. The BGES supports the Wounded Warrior Project by offering guided bus tours to various battlefield sites for Wounded Warrior soldiers recovering from their wounds. The tours are provided for free as part of the BGES desire to support these Wounded Warriors as they recover.

If you have any questions about the Blue & Grey Education Society (BGES) or need additional information about this worthy cause, please contact me for information or directions to the BGES website. Their website is: https://www.blueandgrayeducation.org/ & their Facebook page can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/blueandgray

The Petersburg Battlefield Tour I mentioned in the first paragraph was the fifth and final tour based on five published books written by Gordon Rhea that covers the Overland Campaign of 1864. The tour I was on covered the battles around Cold Harbor, VA and culminated in the Union efforts to enter Petersburg and hopefully end the war quickly. That was not the result but it was a close-run thing.

Gordon Rhea was the guide for this tour as well as the author of 5 books that provide all the information you would want regarding the Overland Campaign. Book 5) On to Petersburg, Grand & Lee, June 4-15, 1864 was the main topic of the tour. The other books are (in order): Book 1) The Battle of the Wilderness, May 5-6, 1864; Book 2) The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern, May 7-12, 1864; Book 3) To the North Anna River, Grant and Lee, May 13-25, 1864; & Book 4) Cold Harbor; Grand and Lee, May 26 – June 3, 1864.

<SALUTE>

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message