American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:47 pm 
Sirs!

Scenario design is a precarious undertaking at best, but feedback does make the effort all the more worthwhile. If you could find time in your busy schedules I would like to request that players in the current tournament hop over to the Scenario and Cartography Forum and leave some notes about your experience. If you could would you address the following questions about the scenario.

1. Was it historically accurate enough to warrant testing the hypothesis?
2. As the Union player do you feel the forces at your disposal represented the strategy that Meade would have employed. Or do you feel that the Rebel attack was unrealistic and overpowering without a sound basis for the 'what if' possibility?
3. As the Rebel player do you feel the change in strategy and additional forces actually offered you the opportunity to change history?

After reading too many Peter Tsouras books I took his literary advice and made as few changes as possible and tried to stay within the framework of the historical event. Do you think this scenario accomplished that task? Were changes I made not dramatic enough or were they too much and did not reflect Lee, Longstreet and even Meade's mindset at the time of the actual battle. What if scenarios versus more equal play attempts are dicey, but I like the challenge and gratefully appreciate reading all comments good or bad over at the Scenario and Cartography Forum.

Note: To answer one question that will most certainly be asked. Why no points for casualties? I was trying to simulate the desperate nature of Longstreet's attack. As an amateur historian of the period I actually feel Longstreet's attack on Day 2 was far more desperate than "Picketts' Charge". Longstreet was asked to do more with less, in less time on Day 2. So the only thing that matters in Longstreet's Boot is capturing Cemetery Ridge. Casualties are secondary and any Rebel player that causes lots of casualties but fails to capture 'the ridge' knows in his heart he has still failed to win the battle. I hope that explains my decisions on points.