American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 am 

Gents,
Greetings hope everyone is staying well in these unprecedented times...I do have to say the battlefields are a welcome
diversion.....a question on registering a campaign in the DOR...it appears each game has to be separately registered ? I didn't
see an option for registering the campaign?

thanks and stay safe
Lt.Gen.John Lytwak
XVth AoT USA

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:28 am 

That is correct Sir. Register each one as a separate game.

Army of the Tennessee, U.S. Army

"We can make war so terrible and make them so sick of war that generations pass away before they again appeal to it."
William Tecumseh Sherman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:01 pm 

Actually that is a good question that we probably should have addressed more seriously as a club in years past. The last two releases (Petersburg and Shenandoah) appear to leave no choice but to register individual battles and put in remarks that it is a campaign battle. However, I think that all of the other games offer both a campaign scenario to register and the scenarios for all of the possible options in a campaign. The question really is, what does the club want.

First let us cover the scenarios for all of the possible options in a campaign. They are listed like Iuka_c1U3 which means that the Iuka scenario is being played, the Confederate chose option 1, and the Yank chose option 3. Those options can be found in the Campaign Editor for Corinth under the Iuka campaign battle. Sometimes the parties can fathom what options are being played on the first turn due to the number of turns or the positions occupied by units or what units are visible, but many times the options cannot be determined by whomever is registering the game until several turns have been played.

Secondly, most of the games have a general Campaign scenario that can be registered. The parties should annotate in Remarks what scenario is being played (e.g., 01 hist Iuka) and if it is the first, or third, or fifth battle of the campaign.

Thirdly, the past two games do not offer these options so the individual scenario should be registered and the Remarks should be annotated with what battle of the campaign is being played (e.g. first battle of a campaign).

So, one can look through the registered games and see that everybody registers them differently. Does the club want them standardized or the club doesn't care how we register games just as long as we register something. This same conversation could easily be extended to registering games as battles or maneuvers as there doesn't appear to be any check on that. The rules are clear but not always followed.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm 

I had thought that we are complete in that aspect. If that is not the case I will bring this to the attention of the cabinet.
Personally I think that all scenarios should be listed, single battles as well as the campaign battles. I took a look at Ozark and it seems that all scenarios are listed, I assume other titles are complete too so it wouldn't make any sense to set a standard that forces the removal of such complete titles, would should just get the missing scenario into the db.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:08 pm 

The designers did not include separate campaign scenarios in Petersburg and Shenandoah like the others had so it is not a fault of posting to the DoR. Even if the campaign scenarios had been included in the last two releases, the same question still remains as to how the club wants us to register campaigns. One viable answer is no answer at all which means that the club doesn't care just as long as you register the game in the DoR any way that you want which is kinda the way that its been operating since the BG days.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:19 pm 

The method for registering campaigns are in DOR "rules". See "Instructions for Using This Site". upon entering the DOR.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:37 am 

I just wonder why in a campaign game the players are free to enter the scenario like they want. Looking for the exact scenario isn't anything one can draw any benefits from, so if I check the campaign files and find we are playing lsc c1u1.scn of Campaign Ozark, were is the problem to enter that?

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:00 pm 

Ernie, that boils down to (my words, not yours) 'just register the game in the DOR in some form or fashion' and I don't have a problem with that. But you probably need to add the "Other" option to the DOR for Petersburg and Shenandoah in order to keep them somewhat standard. I actually regret having even brought it up because you do a good job with the DOR.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:28 am 

C. Hecht wrote:
.... Looking for the exact scenario isn't anything one can draw any benefits from, so if I check the campaign files and find we are playing lsc c1u1.scn of Campaign Ozark, were is the problem to enter that?

I have had a few opponents ask how I knew which scenario of a campaign we were playing, I have explained to them how it can be found in the CPF using a text editor to open it
----- PEM Header -----
1 1 -1 -1
OTV4a. The Battle of Cham

You have to remember that not all of our members are pc savvy.
So the Other category was available in the DoR for those members.
The big problem this causes is for those who run the Games Report checking for Major Victories.
If players put Game# in a campaign, and the name that appears at the top of the screen in the comments this helps the Army CO or CoS in their checking of the Games Report for the purpose of issuing awards.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP