American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ACW's Most Brutal Battle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:17 pm 

What in your opinion was the American Civil War's most brutal battle? And why do you think that?

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 pm 

The Battle of Franklin.

My mind went to Spotsylvania as it was a sustained, grueling, mind-numbing battle in heavy rain and mud. But the battle opened so suddenly that nobody had time to "think about it" beforehand. Sometimes in life you can get through hell easier if you don't know you are about to travel through it.

At Franklin I feel like the Confederates knew what was about to happen and could anticipate their own destruction. Undoubtedly Generals and enlisted men simply began the charge with no expectation of surviving and many didn't. The idea of charging against breastworks, after a year spent trying to avoid them at all costs, must have mentally demoralized them as they knew what the end result would be. The stories of the carnage in front of the Carter House and along other parts of the Federal defenses are heartbreaking. Further, to see so many of your commanders fall in battle must have only served to further dishearten the units. The battle, or really the slaughter, continued on into the darkness when Hood even contemplated sending another charge forward with men carrying torches to light the way.

It was a needless assault with no purpose behind it other than to satisfy Hood's desire that the men learn to attack "like men" or die in the attempt. Schofield was already preparing to abandon the town at nightfall to continue his retreat to Nashville.

Just useless bloodshed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 pm 

Ball's Bluff October 21 1861

Not a large battle but certainly a brutal one. Total Confederate losses were less than 1%. Total Union losses (including the death of a serving senator) were just shy of a staggering 60% as hundreds drowned, surrendered or were shot as they tried to escape.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:53 pm 

I'd imagine Franklin & Spotsylvania would be on anyone's shortlist for the most brutal battle of the war. Ball's Bluff is an interesting choice - need to read up on it. I would add two more - firstly, Antietam needs no introduction, both for the total casualty figures but also the percentage losses within individual regiments. Secondly, the fight at the Crater - the explosion of the mine feels like warfare from another century, while the hand to hand combat which followed in the confined space of the crater seems to have been particularly ferocious, with few prisoners being taken until the end.

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:33 am 

I would have to agree with the opinions stated by the gentlemen already. My mind went to Balls Bluff and then to Franklin. I think they said it better than I could have. Of course, as everyone already knows, Antietam with 3,600 dead out of nearly 23,000 casualties.

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:15 pm 

Joe Meyer wrote:
What in your opinion was the American Civil War's most brutal battle? And why do you think that?

I'll go with "The Bloodiest Day" of Antietam. The morning fight was an absolute slugfest. "Artillery Hell" where it was rare for Artillery to be wheeled so close to the lines and do such killing and mutilating. The recently discovered burial map of the dead after the battle gives us an idea about horrible it was. Hooker and Jackson's Corps were decimated. And that was to the left of "The Bloody Lane". Awful battle.

Maj. Gen. L.P. Smith
Division Commander - II Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:37 pm 

Kind of surprised no one mentioned Ft Pillow.